Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 05:17 AM

31 posts, read 93,586 times

Advertisements

We've been searching like crazy for a house in Chatham without much luck. We've finally expanded our search and found we can get a lot more for our money in Mendham. We love Chatham, we're just starting to learn about Mendham and we're wondering if we should just be patient and stick w/ Chatham or if Mendham is a comparable town. Any thoughts on Chatham versus Mendham????

Thank-you!!

Note: We have 3 school age children and my husband will be working in Florham Park
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,607,915 times
honestly, between both places and given where your husband is commuting - pick the house you like best. both are excellent places with excellent schools - you can't go wrong with either.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:16 AM

717 posts, read 769,625 times
Default Nothing in Life above being honest

the honest opinion here.. Beautiful wealthy towns. Along with that comes the pretentious snobs.
You're children will be influenced by the bratty, spoiled kids that live in these towns and when their Friends get five Wii systems your kids will be crying for the same.
Like I said beautiful towns, I would never live in a town like that regardless of my wealth.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 8,649 times
Need to commute to NYC? Then Chatham's a better choice, especially Chatham Borough. It's also a bit nicer for children, because they can walk to school, ride bikes in the neighborhood, and enjoy a bit of freedom. Mendham's a bit more rural, so you'll have to drive them around all the time. But it certainly is lovely.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,988,038 times
Mendham will offer you more in terms of a large lot and a country feel. But with 3 kids, you actually might prefer a bit more density that a borough will provide. Easier for the kids to make friends, etc. Honestly, most people who live in Mendham do not know their neighbors. It is quite insular with everybody on an acre plus leading their own lives. I think you might be happier in Chatham or Madison. More of a "community" in my opinion.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 PM

30 posts, read 97,331 times
Default Basking Ridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Mendham will offer you more in terms of a large lot and a country feel. But with 3 kids, you actually might prefer a bit more density that a borough will provide. Easier for the kids to make friends, etc. Honestly, most people who live in Mendham do not know their neighbors. It is quite insular with everybody on an acre plus leading their own lives. I think you might be happier in Chatham or Madison. More of a "community" in my opinion.
I actually think there are several neighborhoods within Mendham Borough (as opposed to the township) where people know their neighbors and kids walk to school. I think it's a good alternative to Chatham if you want more space.

I'd also consider Basking Ridge - geographically in between Mendham and Chatham and also an easy commute to Florham Park.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:27 PM

825 posts, read 3,154,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
What you say about Mendham is true in terms of the country feel and large acreages of land, it is true many of us Mendhamites do not have very much contact with our neighbors. Well, I live in a developed area of Mendham so I know my neighbors pretty well. But in terms of a community sense, Mendham is very united through the school systems in terms of events and festivals such as the Strawberry Festival and our annual labor day carnival and 4th of july parade.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,349,459 times
I know people who live in a newer development about a mile away from The Sisters of Charity (Mendham). They do tons of stuff as a neighborhood (egg hunt, pig roast, Christmas party, something for Halloween and a summer block party.) The neighbors are very close knit and friendly. Although it is a very expensive area no one I have met at parties in that development is snooty. Like everything, I think down to earth people stay together and the snooty folks hang out in their own group.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:14 PM

526 posts, read 1,388,821 times
Why limit yourselves to just these 2 towns. Why not consider Florham Park, Madison, even the Convent Station Section of Morris Twp. With gas soon to be over $4 a gallon and the likelihood that it will take 30 minutes to get from Mendham to Florham Park you may not be too happy after being there for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: