Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 05:07 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Just wear a MAGA hat, they'll know you're not immigrating. And they won't even notice the wine bottles because they'll be looking for guns.
Hahaha.

They ask about guns every time (I am not a weapons person, so no.) And pepper spray.

On the way back into the US they ask the same question but they also want to know if I have any fruit. I had an apple that I bought in Paris taken out of my bag and confiscated when I flew into JFK a couple of years ago, then I was flying home from Ottawa last fall and I got asked the fruit question at the airport. I had a Canadian apple in my purse, so I confessed to it. She said I had to throw it away. I can't waste good food like that, so I just stepped aside and ate it and then got back on the security line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
NJ state doesn't help commuters by opening large parking lots nearby some train stations that are under used instead they charge riders a ransom for park and ride.

All NJ has to do is create large parking areas by Secaucus or allow other NJT train lines to go Secaucus direct instead of NWK to relief the congestion for the entire area.

I used to drive to Secaucus and take NJT into the city when the parking lot fares was $6 back in 2004, now it is $23 a day!!!

Old 06-07-2018, 05:06 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,279 times
I believe that Jersey city's development is probably the most fast-paced in terms of direct effect on PATH over crowding. A technical solution is to build new tunnels, upgrade the current cars to high-speed automated tubes, and maybe just maybe, NJ can incentivize businesses just to move here instead of tax breaks, cut the regulation burdens where possible.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NJ state doesn't help commuters by opening large parking lots nearby some train stations that are under used instead they charge riders a ransom for park and ride.

All NJ has to do is create large parking areas by Secaucus or allow other NJT train lines to go Secaucus direct instead of NWK to relief the congestion for the entire area.

I used to drive to Secaucus and take NJT into the city when the parking lot fares was $6 back in 2004, now it is $23 a day!!!
You want the state to go into the parking lot business?

You do understand that the parking lots at NJT are operated by the towns in most cases, right? In more urban areas like Newark and Jersey City, the lots are privately owned and operated, as is the one by Secaucus Junction. They charge what the market will bear.

Not sure what you mean by the Newark/Secaucus remark. Most trains that go to Newark also do go to Secaucus, with a few exceptions.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:32 AM

702 posts, read 540,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Everybody has those same ideas, dude. They need specific, concrete technical ideas.

Exactly how would you propose they "expand PATH service" beyond what they are in the middle of right now? If you actually do take PATH regularly, you know that they have been replacing the signal system to the tune of $500 million for some time now, hence the night/weekend shutdowns and station closures. The signal system is from the 1920s.

I take the PATH every day, and yes, I know that they're working on the signals. I also don't think that the signals should have been left alone for 100 years.

Quote:
Unless you just moved to the region, you also know that the tunnels and systems were badly damaged in Sandy, so megabucks are being spent on resiliency at the same time. Then there's those two new substation replacements at $45M and $37M respectively. They ARE lengthening the platforms to ten-car platforms and that's been pretty public, too, so I'm puzzled as to why you are complaining about that as if.

My understanding is that the extensive damage caused by Sandy had a lot to do with the existing state of disrepair when the storm hit. As far as the platforms are concerned, It was a general comment

Quote:
Just where do you suggest they build these all these new stations? In the vast open space that is Hudson County?

I'm no urban planner, but it seems to me that adding another branch that served Kearney, Northern Newark, perhaps Belleville, etc. would ease quite a bit of congestion. That's obviously very long term.

Quote:
Nobody's screwing you over. Planners and engineers are just trying to figure out how to work with an existing system that's over 100 years old and not built to service the current population, climate conditions, and terrorist threats.

If you read my post more carefully, you'd realize that I was not blaming the planners and engineers, I'm upset at the amount of public investment. I'm upset that the PA director is getting up in front of engineers asking them to come up with creative ways to duct tape and bubblegum the system some more because they don't have any other options.

Quote:
And your crappy $2.75 per ride doesn't even cover the PSE&G electric bill to run the trains.

I find that pretty hard to believe, but in any case public transit is not supposed to be paid for entirely by fares. PATH has the advantage of the bridge tolls, but there obviously needs to be more public taxpayer investment. Federal and State.

Quote:
Sorry for the tone, but not really. After almost 40 years in the public transportation industry, it is frustrating that the riding public seems hell-bent on not educating themselves with what's going on with the systems and facilities they use. It's just easier to complain.

I disagree with you there. I think people should be able to get on a train and have it get them to work without drama. I feel bad for you because I'm sure riders are frustrated and some of them put the blame where it doesn't belong. Just know that there are a bunch of us that see what goes on an appreciate what the PA workers, planners, and engineers do, we're just frustrated that you're not getting the resources you need.

Last edited by Blackjack2000; 06-07-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Everybody has those same ideas, dude. They need specific, concrete technical ideas.

Exactly how would you propose they "expand PATH service" beyond what they are in the middle of right now? If you actually do take PATH regularly, you know that they have been replacing the signal system to the tune of $500 million for some time now, hence the night/weekend shutdowns and station closures. The signal system is from the 1920s.

Unless you just moved to the region, you also know that the tunnels and systems were badly damaged in Sandy, so megabucks are being spent on resiliency at the same time. Then there's those two new substation replacements at $45M and $37M respectively. They ARE lengthening the platforms to ten-car platforms and that's been pretty public, too, so I'm puzzled as to why you are complaining about that as if.

Just where do you suggest they build these all these new stations? In the vast open space that is Hudson County?

Nobody's screwing you over. Planners and engineers are just trying to figure out how to work with an existing system that's over 100 years old and not built to service the current population, climate conditions, and terrorist threats.

And your crappy $2.75 per ride doesn't even cover the PSE&G electric bill to run the trains.

Sorry for the tone, but not really. After almost 40 years in the public transportation industry, it is frustrating that the riding public seems hell-bent on not educating themselves with what's going on with the systems and facilities they use. It's just easier to complain.

I don't see how PA needs some new technical ideas. Public transportation requires pretty basic and timely maintenance, upgrades and capacity enhancements. It is not something that can be outsourced to India for one half of the cost with a complete loss of reliability. Why is the signal system from the 1920s is being replaced only now. Why not thirty years ago?

As to the extra capacity, I am not sure if new stations are needed. They can build new tubes under the Hudson and just maybe expand underground stations a little bit. One or two track expansion will not take too much land.

But overall, I see US public transportation system a sad case of ignorant riding public, apathetic and corrupt local officials bought be developers and absent federal government. In most normal countries that rely on public transportation, local officials would not give out building permits without a viable plan on how to handle and expand transportation. Only the US, the greatest country in the world, where developers contribute to the reelection campaigns of the public officials seems to have a different strategy. The transportation strategy seems to be to pray that hundred year old systems designed for the fraction of the users that ride it every day continue to operate more of less OK forever. Hence PATH is replacing 1920th signal system in 2018, NY Subway is thinking about how to replace their 1920th signal system in less that 50 years and Amtrak had to do emergency repairs in Penn station because of lack of maintenance. Meanwhile, the federal government barely contributes to the critical infrastructure preferring instead to invest in the new weapons systems...

Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 AM

702 posts, read 540,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
In most normal countries that rely on public transportation, local officials would not give out building permits without a viable plan on how to handle and expand transportation.

I don't think that local officials are concerned with managing large scale transportation networks. Building extra capacity to meet the demands of a growing population is the job of the transit authority, and it requires substantial public investment. I think that's the issue we have here.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Here's a related article in NJ.com today.

5 reasons Port Authority should not extend PATH train line to Newark Airport | Opinion | NJ.com

Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 AM

389 posts, read 664,327 times
I wish there were a way to turn WTC into a NJTransit / LIRR / Metro North Hub.

Imagine being able to access GCT, NYP and WTC from each of these? At a minimum, selfishly, bring NJTransit direct to WTC.

Cut the PATH out of the equation. Now, who's gonna pay for it? Thats the (multiple) trillion dollar question.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:51 AM

389 posts, read 664,327 times
another idea I've had would be to build something like Secaucus station, but in the middle of route 78. Have the PATH start from there, west of Newark. Build huge parking lot in the middle of the highway. Make it akin to a center of the highway rest area in terms of access
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey