Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,440 times

Advertisements

Mama's boy is out anyway. Karma's a b*tch and sometimes disguised as your mother.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ung/691054002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:39 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
A lot of older Baby Boomers are just inherently racist. That's the culture they grew up in.
As are GenX, as are millennials, as are you and your children and your parents and your cousins. Tribalism exists in all people, and that's just a fact of life.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 AM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Most of you are very unfamiliar with Pal. Park, and neighboring towns, when it comes to the Koreans.

To be an American, you have to assimilate into our country.

Notice that I said country, not culture. (though that would be welcomed)

The Koreans in this part of NJ are not assimilating, they are COLONIZING.

Their places of business have signs that are written only in Korean.

I'm not going to get in to all of the details here, because most of you won't care.

Suffice to say that the old gal is more lamenting the concession of our land to people who have no intentions of being Americans, vs. her being racist or bigoted.
One could make the argument that what you describe Koreans doing is the most American of traits. Early immigrants from Europe and their descendants did not assimilate to Native American culture..they tried to survive..expanded and succeeded. It's been the story of growing ethnic communities throughout US history..eventually the immigrant culture expands enough to be considered the American normal

Last edited by bn1; 06-12-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 12:01 PM

702 posts, read 539,802 times
Quote:
I'm not going to get in to all of the details here, because most of you won't care.

Holy ****, YOU'RE RIGHT.

Quote:
Suffice to say that the old gal is more lamenting the concession of our land to people who have no intentions of being Americans, vs. her being racist or bigoted.

It almost sound to me like she wants a nation of white people. A white nation, if you will. We might call the broad set of beliefs... white nationalism. Maybe we would call its supporters... white nationalists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
We really ought not allow an individual municipality be taken over by one group. It should be diverse enough so that no discernible group can claim it, or at least not be able to influence politics through simple racial nepotism.

Looooooooool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
And the newer generation has set the threshold for racism at -1, which creates more racists than actually exist.

Oh yes, that's what causes people to be racist, being called racist. What a lame bunch of snowflakes.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:11 PM

329 posts, read 203,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
as long as they assimilate or their kids assimilate, I see no problem unless the services are being abused like what happened in lakewood
Yeah, we're still waiting for the Jersey Shore Italians to assimilate in NJ.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
As I stated way back on page 1, none of this is racist nor prejudiced. We all have our opinions and every person is entitled to speak their mind.
Of course it's racist. You don't think so because the target group are asian-americans who are basically clumped with whites. It's ok to be racist on them according to your liberal logic.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Certain residents of these bedroom commuter towns or whatever need to wake up and realize the post-war boom that fed white flight is long over.

Yes, anything with < hour commute into Manhattan is still highly prized, but folks moving/buying out there are a varied lot these days. Everything from gay households to various non-white immigrant/minority groups.

Palisades Park is a clear example of what is happening to suburbs all over USA. Happily for the town they have been growing/gaining population for past few decades. Sadly for Mrs. R large part of that growth is Koreans and their children. Meanwhile you see the largest population of whites are middle aged to seniors and or elderly (like Mrs. R)

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/N...-and-Ethnicity
I'm familiar with Pal Park from back in the 80's. It was a working class town, and it was dying.. Broad Ave commerce was 50% vacant, home values low. Koreans came in and revitalized the town. All the younger generation of Pal park natives moved out by the 90's, the only non Koreans left are the old generation. Home values have gone up 1000% since the Koreans moved in. Koreans are hard workers, their children are overachievers, 95%+ go on to college, many go to excellent schools and yes, they speak English.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Most of you are very unfamiliar with Pal. Park, and neighboring towns, when it comes to the Koreans.

To be an American, you have to assimilate into our country.

Notice that I said country, not culture. (though that would be welcomed)

The Koreans in this part of NJ are not assimilating, they are COLONIZING.

Their places of business have signs that are written only in Korean.

If that's the case, then the Cujeans in Staten Island are COLONIZING.

The signs in pal park have both Korean and English. That law is strictly enforced, stop spreading bs.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:45 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
we're still waiting for the Jersey Shore Italians to assimilate in NJ.
Many decades ago, one of my college friends was a Down-Neck/Jersey Shore Italian guy. His grandmother--who came to The US in the 1920s--spoke... maybe... 5 words in English some 40-50 years later.

A few years ago, when he ranted about the lagging English-speaking ability of some Hispanic immigrants, I reminded him about his Nonna and her inability to converse in English after many decades in The US. His response was... "Oh... that's different".
Yes, he is a world-class racist. And, of course, he denies it--as do most racists.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Many decades ago, one of my college friends was a Down-Neck/Jersey Shore Italian guy. His grandmother--who came to The US in the 1920s--spoke... maybe... 5 words in English some 40-50 years later.

A few years ago, when he ranted about the lagging English-speaking ability of some Hispanic immigrants, I reminded him about his Nonna and her inability to converse in English after many decades in The US. His response was... "Oh... that's different".
Yes, he is a world-class racist. And, of course, he denies it--as do most racists.
It's called enclaving. When you're born into a mostly Italian neighborhood, that's your concept of America. Eat fish and eggplant parm for thanksgiving, then go on to college at Penn State, and it's like "Welcome to America". Most don't go tho, they stay local go to local college like Fordham and stay within the enclaved culture, or don't go to college at all.

It would be interesting to ask Rotundo's mother what being American means to her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey