Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

I have to bring my car for inspection tomorrow morning to help my parents out since I start work at 12 noon and I am really nervous. I also can't find information on how a car inspection works, but I know the wait times are usually shorter than the wait times of needing the workers inside. I live in North Jersey. I can't find any ratings about inspection areas, but I hear bad things about the DMV staff inside. I heard you have long waits inside I heard they treat you like children and that even the security guard is horrible as well. Sometimes they have a rude police officer. I saw this video of a rude cop in Wayne and it makes me want to go to another location instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqqZrfGvy0. I wish I yelled at that cop's ass, but he's a cop and I wouldn't do that. I saw video of a DMV in another state that took hostage of their customers and wouldn't let them leave just because one customer was misbehaving.

All you NJ cops suck! Please learn how to protect and serve and not protect and collect! I don't support any of you NJ cops have shame on yourselves! That cops should have shame of himself. God shouldn't have created his *****.

I've read the Google reviews on both the Wayne and Randolph DMVs, but both had brutally bad reviews, but Randolph is hit and miss and is slightly better than Wayne. But I heard somebody asked a simple question at the Randolph DMV and they called security on them.

I heard Newton DMV is excellent and there is less wait time. I heard Washington township is good too, but it can be hit and miss with staff and wait times sometimes.

I am very upset that my taxes go to support you p***y DMV workers and you frickin' brutal cops! If your relative is a cop, I'm sorry, I have no support for them, because they just want to be barbaric as hell. I'm never living in NJ again. My grandmother said she needs to write a letter to Trump about this honestly.

When I went to get my license for the first time at 17 years old, the DMV staff at Wayne were okay and they actually showed me my photo and they never got mad when I wanted it retaken. Wait was only a half hour.

Is there a way I can renew my license through mail? I am nervous for a DMV trip next year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Well, first of all, there is no "DMV" in New Jersey. The agency that you use for license and registration renewals is the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC).

That being said, there is obvious variation in both competence and courtesy from one MVC employee to another, and--similarly--there is a variation in what you will experience from one MVC location to another. However, the same could likely be said in regard to medical professionals, mechanics, educators, and retail clerks...

I have a favorite MVC facility in Central NJ where the waiting times are consistently short, and the courtesy of the employees is consistently outstanding.

A friend of mine dreaded having to go to an MVC facility near where he lives in Hudson County as a result of previous unpleasant experiences, so we decided to set-aside a day for him to visit me in Central NJ, and then for me to drive him to my favorite MVC location. He was clearly skeptical that what I had promised was true, but when we were able to leave the MVC facility in less than 20 minutes after having accomplished his business, he became a believer. In addition to the efficiency of the service, he was astounded by the courtesy of the MVC employees at that facility.

That facility also has a vehicle inspection station, which is run by the private entity that is paid by the state to provide those services. The waiting times will vary considerably, no matter where you go, but the old maxim of going for vehicle inspection... in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, in the middle of the month... will almost always result in shorter waiting times.

The NJ inspection procedure nowadays--due to the elimination of all safety checks--consists of two items:

>A check of your credentials (Make sure that you are carrying a valid Driver's License, the new registration, and proof of insurance coverage.)

>An emissions check. For modern vehicles, this consists of plugging their equipment into your car's diagnostic connector underneath the instrument panel. They will also check the underside of the car with a video camera in order to verify that the Catalytic Converter has not been removed or bypassed, and they might remove the gas cap in order to verify that it seals properly. If you are driving an old vehicle that doesn't have a diagnostic connector under the instrument panel, then the car will likely be put on rollers in order to simulate driving conditions while a "sniffer" wand is inserted into the car's tailpipe. Obviously, that procedure is much more time-consuming than simply plugging into the diagnostic connector.

Once you get into the inspection facility, the entire process should take no more than 10 minutes. Or, at least that's how long it takes at my favorite MVC facility. However, the waiting time will vary, depending on the number of cars, and whether any of them require the more time-consuming test that is used on older vehicles.

As to whether you can renew your license via mail, that will depend on how old the photo on your current license is. Every few years (possibly every 4 years??) you must renew your license in-person, in order to have a new photo taken. If you are eligible for mail-in renewal of your license, a renewal application will be mailed to you.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:43 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
I'm sure you'll have a good experience because you seem like a rational person who carries themselves well and treats others with respect.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Retriever covered all of the major points. I think that the best thing for you to do is to make sure that you have all of your paperwork in order before arriving. For example, when renewing your license, they have a points system that includes multiple forms of identification. I can only imagine how many people are unaware of this and end up on the receiving end of some of that infamous ire of the DMV/MVC employees.

I agree with going in the middle of the day/week/month. Stress is going to be highest on your end and on the employees' end at peak times.

To answer your question directly, I always make sure to smile, give straight answers, and be as courteous as possible. I think that doing so is disarming for all but the most hardcore of the rude. My most recent interactions were all great. Only once, about 10 years ago, did I have a run in at a DMV with someone who probably should not be working in any form of public service.

Think of it this way: they can't refuse to serve you unless you're drunk and disorderly or outright over-the-top. You're either going to have a pleasant experience or you're going to have an opportunity to improve your skillset with navigating difficult situations with difficult people. Both ways you're better off in the end.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
The MVCs suck. Went to Springfield to have my drivers license renewed. Step one, parking lot is full and anyway is 2 hour limited and it takes longer than 2 hours to get through the DMV. Step two, stand on long line OUTSIDE DMV waiting to be let in. Step three, stand on line to take a number. Step 4 wait for number to be called to show 6 million points of ID. Step 5 wait on line for picture. Step 6 pay and get picture take. Step 7 answer a bunch of questions on the payment screen (organ donor, etc); this was running real slow. Step 8 wait to get new license.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The MVCs suck. Went to Springfield to have my drivers license renewed. Step one, parking lot is full and anyway is 2 hour limited and it takes longer than 2 hours to get through the DMV. Step two, stand on long line OUTSIDE DMV waiting to be let in. Step three, stand on line to take a number. Step 4 wait for number to be called to show 6 million points of ID. Step 5 wait on line for picture. Step 6 pay and get picture take. Step 7 answer a bunch of questions on the payment screen (organ donor, etc); this was running real slow. Step 8 wait to get new license.
Before I took my Hoboken friend to my favorite MVC location in Central NJ, I think he was skeptical about my claim that we would be in and out w/in 20 minutes. We arrived, found plenty of parking, checked-in with a reasonably amiable employee, and he took a number. I made a detour to the restroom, and by the time that I came out, he had concluded the renewal of his Driver's License and was shooting the breeze with the woman behind the counter.

Trust me, the difference between MVC facilities can be drastic, and my friend now gladly drives ~ 1 hour to my house + plus an additional 25 minutes from my house to this particular MVC facility, rather than torture himself at an MVC facility in Hudson, or Essex, or Union counties.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 AM

565 posts, read 722,634 times
I went to the MVC in Secaucus (or Hackensack? somewhere around there) and they were actually super nice to me. I was dumb and tried to go on my lunch break (I arranged for a long lunch break of 2 hours for this) and when I got there, I quickly realized I wasn't going to make it in 2 hours. I was there for a driver's license renewal and they have several "steps", like an assembly line. I had completed all the steps up until needing the new picture and I was 1.5 hours in. I didn't ask for special treatment, but I told one of the workers I was going to have to leave to go back to work, and asked if I would skip the first few steps when I came back after work (since I'd already completed them). She was SUPER nice and asked how much time I had--I said 20 minutes. The line was super long and slow moving. Well, she took me out of line and took me to the front and said I could go next so I could make it back to work on time. By the way, even going next in line, it took more like 22 minutes to get the picture and have it printed and pay for it all. VERY SLOW PROCESS. But all the employees were very pleasant. Bring a book.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, first of all, there is no "DMV" in New Jersey. The agency that you use for license and registration renewals is the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC).

That being said, there is obvious variation in both competence and courtesy from one MVC employee to another, and--similarly--there is a variation in what you will experience from one MVC location to another. However, the same could likely be said in regard to medical professionals, mechanics, educators, and retail clerks...

I have a favorite MVC facility in Central NJ where the waiting times are consistently short, and the courtesy of the employees is consistently outstanding.

A friend of mine dreaded having to go to an MVC facility near where he lives in Hudson County as a result of previous unpleasant experiences, so we decided to set-aside a day for him to visit me in Central NJ, and then for me to drive him to my favorite MVC location. He was clearly skeptical that what I had promised was true, but when we were able to leave the MVC facility in less than 20 minutes after having accomplished his business, he became a believer. In addition to the efficiency of the service, he was astounded by the courtesy of the MVC employees at that facility.

That facility also has a vehicle inspection station, which is run by the private entity that is paid by the state to provide those services. The waiting times will vary considerably, no matter where you go, but the old maxim of going for vehicle inspection... in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, in the middle of the month... will almost always result in shorter waiting times.

The NJ inspection procedure nowadays--due to the elimination of all safety checks--consists of two items:

>A check of your credentials (Make sure that you are carrying a valid Driver's License, the new registration, and proof of insurance coverage.)

>An emissions check. For modern vehicles, this consists of plugging their equipment into your car's diagnostic connector underneath the instrument panel. They will also check the underside of the car with a video camera in order to verify that the Catalytic Converter has not been removed or bypassed, and they might remove the gas cap in order to verify that it seals properly. If you are driving an old vehicle that doesn't have a diagnostic connector under the instrument panel, then the car will likely be put on rollers in order to simulate driving conditions while a "sniffer" wand is inserted into the car's tailpipe. Obviously, that procedure is much more time-consuming than simply plugging into the diagnostic connector.

Once you get into the inspection facility, the entire process should take no more than 10 minutes. Or, at least that's how long it takes at my favorite MVC facility. However, the waiting time will vary, depending on the number of cars, and whether any of them require the more time-consuming test that is used on older vehicles.

As to whether you can renew your license via mail, that will depend on how old the photo on your current license is. Every few years (possibly every 4 years??) you must renew your license in-person, in order to have a new photo taken. If you are eligible for mail-in renewal of your license, a renewal application will be mailed to you.
I read on here that you can renew your license through mail (only if eligible though), but I think they use your previous photo on file. However, I would go in person and get my face retaken next year when my license expires when I will be 21. My face has changed a bit since I was 17, but after this next visit, I wouldn't need to renew my license pic for a while.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah this is why I am going to drive further out into Newton's DMV to avoid the torture of Wayne's DMV. I don't mind slight rudeness of employees, but I am worried about long wait times where they torture you not to use your cell phone.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 AM

668 posts, read 471,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Before I took my Hoboken friend to my favorite MVC location in Central NJ, I think he was skeptical about my claim that we would be in and out w/in 20 minutes. We arrived, found plenty of parking, checked-in with a reasonably amiable employee, and he took a number. I made a detour to the restroom, and by the time that I came out, he had concluded the renewal of his Driver's License and was shooting the breeze with the woman behind the counter.

Trust me, the difference between MVC facilities can be drastic, and my friend now gladly drives ~ 1 hour to my house + plus an additional 25 minutes from my house to this particular MVC facility, rather than torture himself at an MVC facility in Hudson, or Essex, or Union counties.

LOL i'm fairly sure i know where your favorite facility is. An hour from my house, but i'll make the trip. It's always fast, the employees super nice. Definitely worth it, and not a horrible drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey