Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:16 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times

Advertisements

Is it worth to you to take a day off if employed? If you attend a court hearing you'll be responsible for court costs on top of the fine fighting a summons you'll most likely lose. If it involves no points on your license then just pay the fine and call it a day IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 AM

79 posts, read 72,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
Agreed. I had an improper turn ticket and it would have been three points if I didn't show up to court so in that case it was worthwhile. Still had to pay a ~$300 fine and take half a day off work, but in the long run that is less costly than points. If your ticket won't incur points then it likely isn't worth the aggravation of traffic court, but make sure of that first.
just as a reminder to everyone, insurance points and license points are different. You can get the ticket thrown out but the insurance company is still going to count the tickets as a violation if it was a moving violation whether or not it gets thrown out. Some people think fighting it will make it not affect their insurance but it still does.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:44 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Is it worth to you to take a day off if employed? If you attend a court hearing you'll be responsible for court costs on top of the fine fighting a summons you'll most likely lose. If it involves no points on your license then just pay the fine and call it a day IMO

Sometimes it's a matter of principle to fight a traffic ticket. True example: I was living in California at the time and got a ticket for "failure to yield when making a left hand turn." It happened at a traffic light on a 3 lane road. Both lights turned green at the same time and the female driver on the other side of the light did not move for at least 10 seconds so I made the turn. Cop was in back of me in the same turning lane and wrote the ticket.

I bought poster paper and made a detailed diagram of the scene and explained the situation to the judge. The cop did not make a diagram and just explained what he saw. I had the opportunity to cross examine the cop and kept him on the stand for 10 to 15 minutes. In addition to questions about his position and field of view, I asked him questions like how many tickets he wrote that day and if he had a ticket quota to meet. Judge ruled in my favor and I paid no fine or court fees and I kept the cop off duty for half a day. If more people would go to court over nuisance traffic tickets maybe the cops won't write so many.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:43 AM

414 posts, read 359,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinsuranceguy201 View Post
just as a reminder to everyone, insurance points and license points are different. You can get the ticket thrown out but the insurance company is still going to count the tickets as a violation if it was a moving violation whether or not it gets thrown out. Some people think fighting it will make it not affect their insurance but it still does.
That is an interesting point. A few months after my illegal turn ticket, my husband got one in a different town. Same deal, he paid the fine but somehow the points hit our insurance even though they aren’t on his license whereas the points didn’t hit our insurance with my ticket . We both got the same violation. I wasn’t going to ask the insurance company how they found out about his but not mine.

Insurance guy, do you have insight as to why there was a difference in our situations? Always wondered.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
What are your grounds for contesting it? Did you make an improper turn or no?

Old 07-10-2018, 03:26 PM

79 posts, read 72,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
That is an interesting point. A few months after my illegal turn ticket, my husband got one in a different town. Same deal, he paid the fine but somehow the points hit our insurance even though they aren’t on his license whereas the points didn’t hit our insurance with my ticket . We both got the same violation. I wasn’t going to ask the insurance company how they found out about his but not mine.

Insurance guy, do you have insight as to why there was a difference in our situations? Always wondered.
yes i do. Could be that motor vehicles reported his ticket but somehow didn't report yours. Or it could be that the insurance company randomly ran his report and found out about the ticket but didn't run yours. Sometimes these tickets fall through the cracks, sometimes they don't. lol. In any case, you got lucky. Try completing a defensive driving course to shave 2 points off your license and get a discount off your insurance if its a little too high.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What are your grounds for contesting it? Did you make an improper turn or no?
A PA driver, probably did imo.

Don't ask me what I think of many PA drivers that infiltrate the Southwestern NJ region.

Have a GREAT DAY JerseyGirl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey