U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:42 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,283,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMamaArgo View Post
If your top priority is quality of schools, you should be looking primarily at Marlboro with Manalapan as a back-up (if you cannot find anything in your price range in Marlboro). Forget Old Bridge.
I could care less about any of the towns listed as I have zero vested interest in them. What I don't get is the good schools vs bad schools debate. I understand that a certain number of school districts are tough to attend because the towns or cities as a whole do not place a high emphasis on education. That being said to tell someone to forget Old Bridge as if their kids will go to hell if they attend Old Bridge schools is downright mind boggling. I am sure Old Bridge produces great kids every single year. I am also certain that if you attend Old Bridge Schools anything is possible. You as a parent mold and make your kid and not the schools. Schools for the most part just help in the process but to think that my kids future depends on what High School he or she may go to is really undermining me as a parent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:23 AM

253 posts, read 412,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I could care less about any of the towns listed as I have zero vested interest in them. What I don't get is the good schools vs bad schools debate. I understand that a certain number of school districts are tough to attend because the towns or cities as a whole do not place a high emphasis on education. That being said to tell someone to forget Old Bridge as if their kids will go to hell if they attend Old Bridge schools is downright mind boggling. I am sure Old Bridge produces great kids every single year. I am also certain that if you attend Old Bridge Schools anything is possible. You as a parent mold and make your kid and not the schools. Schools for the most part just help in the process but to think that my kids future depends on what High School he or she may go to is really undermining me as a parent.
Yup. Agree fully. Kids can probably get a very good education at 90 percent of public high schools in the state. Which makes it all the more mind boggling that people spend tens of thousands of dollars on private school unless they just have so much money they don't know what to do with it.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 38,339,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
you are right, its the parents not the schools.

and parents that care most about their child's educations will put that as a top priority when selecting a town to live in.

old bridge parents arent the same as marlboro parents even if the school is providing an equivalent education. so it isnt the school, its you. but yeah, the school you choose says something about you.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:19 PM

908 posts, read 954,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Yup. Agree fully. Kids can probably get a very good education at 90 percent of public high schools in the state. Which makes it all the more mind boggling that people spend tens of thousands of dollars on private school unless they just have so much money they don't know what to do with it.
I think they use the school ratings or "perceived reputation" as a crutch or rational reason to move into an area where they will overpay and live over their means. I think it really has more to do with holding up a certain personal image, reputation and/or mentality. The state is a rat race.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:05 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,322,397 times
Englishtown...

Old 06-27-2018, 11:00 PM

18 posts, read 29,352 times
Marlboro

Old 06-28-2018, 08:59 AM

253 posts, read 412,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Englishtown...
....is a dump. Old Bridge and Manalapan have some undesirable areas too but both are big townships so the good outweighs the bad. Englishtown is a hole in the wall.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:30 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,062,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
It is one huge high school district that has six high schools. You can end up at any one of those six high schools if you live in any of those towns.

Colts Neck is a newer high school. They probably did go to Marlboro before it opened.

https://www.frhsd.com
The high school district is regional. This is a list of where the kids will or can wind up. Colts Neck to Colts Neck H.S., Englishtown to Manalapan H.S., Farmingdale to Howell H.S., Freehold Borough to Freehold Borough H.S., Freehold Township to Freehold Borough H.S. or Freehold Township H.S., Howell to Colts Neck H.S., Freehold Township H.S. or Howell H.S., Manalapan to Freehold Township H.S. or Manalapan H.S., Marlboro to Colts Neck H.S. or Marlboro H.S. That is unless the student is accepted to one of the specialized learning centers. Manalapan HS is science / engineering - Freehold Borough HS is medical sciences - Marlboro HS is business admin. - Howell HS is humanities - Freehold Township HS is global issues and Colts Neck HS is law and public service.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:16 PM

22 posts, read 21,993 times
I'm sorry if I offended but, an opinion was asked and given. Yes, about 70-80% of NJ high schools are better than the average school anywhere else, so asking for the best schools out of the top 20% is definitely a bit like splitting hairs. And perhaps my "forget Old Bridge" comment was a little harsh. However, OP asked for "great" schools and, from personal experience, Old Bridge HS is not a "great" school - that doesn't mean it's bad - it's just not "great".

And yes, I agree with PPs that parenting has more to do with childrens' success than the schools they go to. However, my opinion on the matter is that, as parents, it is our job to provide our kids with the best opportunities we can (without, as a PP put it, "mov[ing] into an area where they will overpay and live over their means"). Living cost of areas aside (though I'm not naive enough to insist that there is no correlation there...), in my experience, some of these high schools are "great" not because of the quality of education but, because the opportunities afforded to their students are wider and more diverse.

That being said, while I know Marlboro high school by reputation only (and was, perhaps, too quick to recommend it based on that reputation alone), I am personally familiar with Old Bridge and Manalapan; while my experience is somewhat dated, I can confidently say that quality of education aside, the opportunities provided to Manalapan students (especially in STEM) are much better and wider reaching than those found in Old Bridge.

Notice how I reference "my experience" multiple times here. If PPs' experience have been different, well, of course everyone is entitled to their own world view and are welcome to share it with OP (that is, after all, why he/she came here); but please don't denigrate mine in the process.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:58 PM

908 posts, read 954,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMamaArgo View Post
I'm sorry if I offended but, an opinion was asked and given. Yes, about 70-80% of NJ high schools are better than the average school anywhere else, so asking for the best schools out of the top 20% is definitely a bit like splitting hairs. And perhaps my "forget Old Bridge" comment was a little harsh. However, OP asked for "great" schools and, from personal experience, Old Bridge HS is not a "great" school - that doesn't mean it's bad - it's just not "great".

And yes, I agree with PPs that parenting has more to do with childrens' success than the schools they go to. However, my opinion on the matter is that, as parents, it is our job to provide our kids with the best opportunities we can (without, as a PP put it, "mov[ing] into an area where they will overpay and live over their means"). Living cost of areas aside (though I'm not naive enough to insist that there is no correlation there...), in my experience, some of these high schools are "great" not because of the quality of education but, because the opportunities afforded to their students are wider and more diverse.

That being said, while I know Marlboro high school by reputation only (and was, perhaps, too quick to recommend it based on that reputation alone), I am personally familiar with Old Bridge and Manalapan; while my experience is somewhat dated, I can confidently say that quality of education aside, the opportunities provided to Manalapan students (especially in STEM) are much better and wider reaching than those found in Old Bridge.

Notice how I reference "my experience" multiple times here. If PPs' experience have been different, well, of course everyone is entitled to their own world view and are welcome to share it with OP (that is, after all, why he/she came here); but please don't denigrate mine in the process.
Personally I would not recommend moving to any of these towns. Old Bridge and Sayreville both have areas that are less desirable and a large percentage of low income housing, though also a larger amount of "authentic" or "rooted" neighborhoods, so the area is a rather broad socioeconomic range. Both of these towns have affluent areas as well so the school systems get a mix. I think it has seen better days at this point though and there are better places to live.

Marlboro and Manalapan are more one-dimensional since the vast majority of that area was desolate farmland as recent as 25 years ago. And for whatever reason once the building boom there started, the demographic was almost exclusively transplants from the south shore of Staten Island. One thing they all have in common is the fact that the house or living space they bought in that area is substantially larger than anything they ever knew before in their life or family. So I think to an extent they get an inflated perception of the area and behave like their crap does not stink. I actually have never met a person from this area that I liked. Very superficial, and kind of low class, trying to be perceived as upper class.

The Rt 9 corridor below the river on the whole just sucks IMO. I actually would concentrate on some of the other nicer nearby towns in Middlesex County. East, North and South Brunswick and Monroe are very nice upper middle class towns with excellent school systems and while you may run into some snobbery in these places, there is a lot more tolerance on the whole and the people just have a lot more class. North Brunswick is in the process of adding upscale retail with a brand new train station (NEC). Rt 1 is very congested, but the Turnpike is also right there and you have a choice of highways to travel and the area on the whole is so much more manageable. I personally do not enjoy Monmouth County. It was once less-developed and continuing to be developed and the lifelong residents hate outsiders and do not like new people moving into their area. New houses are ugly and the planning is a joke. As previously stated, the traffic in that area has completely outgrown the roads, the vast majority of which are still one lane each way with the stupid (useless) broken yellow down the middle, 3 cycles on average to get through a light. Not to mention lacksadaisical paving. Can't find a road in Monmouth County that doesn't chew up my tires.

We moved to NJ in the late 80s and at first looked at homes in Manalapan, after my father's at the time business partner had bought a house in Marlboro, only to discover the element that was going there was exactly what we were trying to get away from in the city. My parents started to do some research and we almost bought in East Brunswick, but then got a deal on this house in Sayreville which at that time was totally fine. 12 years later, a different story. We left for Edison in 2001. They said if they had to do it over again they would have picked a colonial in one of the Brunswicks. I have cousins in Manalapan that went through the school system. One is in college somewhere far away, the other I feel like I don't even know, kind of shallow, superficial type, not very down to earth - calls her mom by her first name - and hangs out with friends that seem to fit that stereotype.

Last edited by NYtoNJtoPA; 07-07-2018 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey