U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:25 AM

27,823 posts, read 33,002,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Ok so my sister went to Newark East side. I know my parents were scumbags for doing that.
please send my thoughts and prayers to your sister
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,088,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
please send my thoughts and prayers to your sister
Went is the key word. Did your upper echelon High School teach you the meaning of the word?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM

27,823 posts, read 33,002,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Went is the key word. Did your upper echelon High School teach you the meaning of the word?
im sure the trauma of that experience is something that still haunts her.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 PM

808 posts, read 660,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Details? Because without them you're just slandering Manalapan?
Well I've spent a lot of time around there over the years, because of relatives that have settled there. I worked in that area too for quite a while and attended Brookdale Community College though I grew up in Middlesex County. Classmates at Brookdale who were from Manalapan stuck out like sore thumbs, they would talk to each other when the professor was talking or trying to teach a lesson, and myself and every other student would look at each other like "huh? this is unbelievable" even with the overall lack of civility that permeated the place.

In places like North Brunswick or East Brunswick you'd have to drive the right car, wear the right clothes etc but the place always seemed more civil, you'd find a handful of people who were down to earth and approachable. I had a job in Manalapan for a few years, mostly of which consisted of locals who'd lived there. They all seemed either socially inept or snotty, with an overall sullen appearance. They were not pleasant nor was it an at all friendly environment, probably the furthest thing from it. If you spoke and tried to be friendly, they would look at you like you were a weirdo or that something was wrong with you. I've seen this attitude in some relatives of mine, and the ones that live there who are not like that want to move. I am not alone in feeling this way since several other people I have run into over the years have experienced the same thing.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 PM

24,115 posts, read 16,666,568 times
Manalapan, Old Bridge or Marlboro are and have been the top three destinations for Staten Islanders fleeing that borough for various reasons.

They complain the "element" or whatever drove them in part to pack-up and move; yet seem oblivious to what they bring to the party in NJ.

Am not hating, they're my peeps, just calling things as one sees.....

Old 10-13-2018, 12:48 PM

370 posts, read 1,256,693 times
My husband's family is looking to move to the Manalapan area. They were in Brooklyn, then moved to Staten Island and now looking to come to NJ. We have talked about moving down to be closer to them but I have hard time leaving Bergen County because I know nothing about the areas past around Westfield.
I know Staten Island/ Brooklyn people seem to coming into Manalapan/ Old Bridge area. My husband's family knows more people there then they do in their current area.

We are trying to figure out what towns might be a better fit for us.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:11 PM

24,115 posts, read 16,666,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
My husband's family is looking to move to the Manalapan area. They were in Brooklyn, then moved to Staten Island and now looking to come to NJ. We have talked about moving down to be closer to them but I have hard time leaving Bergen County because I know nothing about the areas past around Westfield.
I know Staten Island/ Brooklyn people seem to coming into Manalapan/ Old Bridge area. My husband's family knows more people there then they do in their current area.

We are trying to figure out what towns might be a better fit for us.

Traffic on routes 1 or 9 onto Outerbridge to 440 (or vice versa) has become a nightmare on weekends. Holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving for awhile were "bad", now just often go up and take the Goethals which can be faster to get onto (or off) SI.

Everyone is moving off SI it seems and going down to Jersey or maybe PA.

Born and raised on SI, and know NJ from some of my earliest memories as a kid; but the past ten or so years more and more everyone I know (family or friends) have moved down to NJ.

Holidays, family events, just getting together, more and more am down in Old Bridge, Matawan, Manalapan, Colt's Neck, etc... In fact am down in Jersey more these days for such things than on Staten Island.

What is telling is that people who bought on SI only rather recently (maybe coming from Brooklyn), are now looking to get out soon as they can sell their house.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:42 PM

72 posts, read 43,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Also worth mentioning is the fact that if you live in Old Bridge, the high school you are zoned to will definitely be Old Bridge High School whereas in Marlboro or Manalapan this is not necessarily the case. The high schools in that area are off in a different district and depending on where you live in either town, you could end up at Marlboro, Manalapan, Colts Neck, Freehold Twp, Freehold Boro or Howell high schools. Sometimes the ride could be an hour when you factor in traffic.

And the further south you live on Rt 9, the more traffic you will be dealing with during the commute. Rt 9 bottlenecks on the Old Bridge/Marlboro border, narrowing from 3 lanes down to 2, since Old Bridge is Middlesex County and Marlboro and Manalapan are Monmouth County, which does not want 9 widened to three lanes each way. But that is just what they do around there, keeping every road as narrow as possible, intending to slow traffic down which will in turn slow the "growth" in the area.
You just explained everything that is wrong with this area, pertaining to traffic that is. I actually made a thread recently about this topic:

Central Jersey: Which highway is worst? U.S Route 1 or U.S Route 9?

In all honesty, US 9 is not even that bad to drive on in Sayreville/Old Bridge, but it still has too many lights for my liking though. However, once you cross over CR 520 (I think), aka that big intersection bordering Marlboro (locals call that section 'Morganville') and Old Bridge with the Whole Foods, Ethan Allen, Lowes, and Marlboro Diner, that is when the highway downsizes from a 6-8 lane highway with limited lights to a 4-(at best) 6 lane highway with lights at almost every mile.

I agree, the general area is not primarily farmland anymore, quite the opposite. The region is a lot closer in relation (demographically, culturally, economically, etc.) to the North Jersey/NYC regionally 'semi-interior' suburb like towns (Parsippinay, Livingston, Wayne, etc.), than they are with the more 'cosmopolitan' South Jersey like towns (New Egypt, Wrightstown, North Hanover, etc). If this was 30, 20, hell even 15 years ago (the last set of years being around the time me and my family first moved to the region, from Brooklyn no less), then I would easily say that West Monmouth/South Middlesex seemed to be more in common to the 'Piney' towns of the slightly 'near south' than ANYTHING in North Jersey. I vividly remember first moving to Monroe in 2005, and when me and my folks were visiting relatives in Old Bridge for Thanksgiving that year being mesmerized by how beautiful the area was (dim Autumn skies, driving with my folks on Route 33, seeing millions of Autumn leaves shred to the roads, memories I shall cherish forever) Now though? Forget about it, the area is so 'NEW YAWKized', that it's in strong contention of being a 'Neo 6th borough'. Even my hometown of Monroe has seen a lot of growth over the years.

There seriously needs to be some sort of serious dialogue in town meetings in the region discussing this, because quite frankly the infrastructure here in this region simply cannot sustain the current population that lives here, not to mention more & more people coming down here from Brooklyn/SI/NNJ. The asinine traffic on US 9, which in part (arguably large part) is due to a lack of towns in the area (or even the state govt.) diverting necessary resources in addressing traffic concerns, is the epitome of this.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the (somewhat) agrarian aspects of this region. Likewise, I like how the region has become a lot more 'established' over the years, and less like the 'boondocks'. Heck, there is a new shopping center opening up in Freehold, right on the corner of Elton-Adelphia and US 9 across from the new 'lifestyle center', called 'The Edge', on the opposing side (an infamous corner in the region I might add, but I digress).

https://www.apartments.com/the-edge-...ld-nj/cjtfpzd/

https://www.app.com/get-access/?retu...F2192956002%2F

But once again, while these developments do sound exciting, it does speak to the core of this issue. If you're going to excessively build (which on some level, I am against), at the very least you have to compensate for the traffic concerns that building new establishments might provide. There also has to be a balance between building new businesses, homes, etc., while still strengthening zoning laws/ordinances to maintain/preserve the environment, the one thing that sets the region apart from others (especially areas further North/East). Desolated areas on US 9 (the northern stretch of US 9 in Howell comes to mind) I am contempt with business coming in to help reinvigorate. However, the backroads in much of this region, particularly the 'outskirts' of these various towns, must remain untouched and protected. "You can't have your cake and eat it too".

Because, in a way, towns like Freehold, Manalapan, Marlboro, etc. (like these towns or not) are starting to become very similar to North Jersey/'Semi-Interior' NYC suburban towns like The Caldwells, Florham Park, Whippany, etc. which are known to be highly suburbanized, but still possessing tons of pristine areas for farming, orchards, and even parks/hiking, due to the historic agrarian influence that still sort of permeates in that region, mainly because of it being rather mountainous.

Western Monmouth/Southern Middlesex are known to be more hilly/'adventurous' than Eastern/Northern sections of Monmouth/Middlesex respectively (at least IMO), so there is a lot of charm in this region. Thus, there has to be the right leadership in ensuring exactly that, encouraging capitalism/business but equally preserving nature and ensuring good amenities for the new business and advocacy for parks/nature spaces. It seems like the administrators in township affairs in this region are 'half assing' their attempts in preserving nature and not even attempting to improve amenities.

For anybody that lives in West Monmouth that are simply denying the issue and claiming that people bringing this up are 'Monmouth haters' or whatever (I saw one gullible dude here make that argument, but not going to mention any names), you're quite frankly part of the problem. I currently live in Freehold, and I love the area, so you can't call me a hater of this county. But this general area does genuinely need some 'tough love' if it were to remain a desirable place to live.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:51 PM

808 posts, read 660,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere_imbored View Post
You just explained everything that is wrong with this area, pertaining to traffic that is. I actually made a thread recently about this topic:

Central Jersey: Which highway is worst? U.S Route 1 or U.S Route 9?

In all honesty, US 9 is not even that bad to drive on in Sayreville/Old Bridge, but it still has too many lights for my liking though. However, once you cross over CR 520 (I think), aka that big intersection bordering Marlboro (locals call that section 'Morganville') and Old Bridge with the Whole Foods, Ethan Allen, Lowes, and Marlboro Diner, that is when the highway downsizes from a 6-8 lane highway with limited lights to a 4-(at best) 6 lane highway with lights at almost every mile.

I agree, the general area is not primarily farmland anymore, quite the opposite. The region is a lot closer in relation (demographically, culturally, economically, etc.) to the North Jersey/NYC regionally 'semi-interior' suburb like towns (Parsippinay, Livingston, Wayne, etc.), than they are with the more 'cosmopolitan' South Jersey like towns (New Egypt, Wrightstown, North Hanover, etc). If this was 30, 20, hell even 15 years ago (the last set of years being around the time me and my family first moved to the region, from Brooklyn no less), then I would easily say that West Monmouth/South Middlesex seemed to be more in common to the 'Piney' towns of the slightly 'near south' than ANYTHING in North Jersey. I vividly remember first moving to Monroe in 2005, and when me and my folks were visiting relatives in Old Bridge for Thanksgiving that year being mesmerized by how beautiful the area was (dim Autumn skies, driving with my folks on Route 33, seeing millions of Autumn leaves shred to the roads, memories I shall cherish forever) Now though? Forget about it, the area is so 'NEW YAWKized', that it's in strong contention of being a 'Neo 6th borough'. Even my hometown of Monroe has seen a lot of growth over the years.

There seriously needs to be some sort of serious dialogue in town meetings in the region discussing this, because quite frankly the infrastructure here in this region simply cannot sustain the current population that lives here, not to mention more & more people coming down here from Brooklyn/SI/NNJ. The asinine traffic on US 9, which in part (arguably large part) is due to a lack of towns in the area (or even the state govt.) diverting necessary resources in addressing traffic concerns, is the epitome of this.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the (somewhat) agrarian aspects of this region. Likewise, I like how the region has become a lot more 'established' over the years, and less like the 'boondocks'. Heck, there is a new shopping center opening up in Freehold, right on the corner of Elton-Adelphia and US 9 across from the new 'lifestyle center', called 'The Edge', on the opposing side (an infamous corner in the region I might add, but I digress).

https://www.apartments.com/the-edge-...ld-nj/cjtfpzd/

https://www.app.com/get-access/?retu...F2192956002%2F

But once again, while these developments do sound exciting, it does speak to the core of this issue. If you're going to excessively build (which on some level, I am against), at the very least you have to compensate for the traffic concerns that building new establishments might provide. There also has to be a balance between building new businesses, homes, etc., while still strengthening zoning laws/ordinances to maintain/preserve the environment, the one thing that sets the region apart from others (especially areas further North/East). Desolated areas on US 9 (the northern stretch of US 9 in Howell comes to mind) I am contempt with business coming in to help reinvigorate. However, the backroads in much of this region, particularly the 'outskirts' of these various towns, must remain untouched and protected. "You can't have your cake and eat it too".

Because, in a way, towns like Freehold, Manalapan, Marlboro, etc. (like these towns or not) are starting to become very similar to North Jersey/'Semi-Interior' NYC suburban towns like The Caldwells, Florham Park, Whippany, etc. which are known to be highly suburbanized, but still possessing tons of pristine areas for farming, orchards, and even parks/hiking, due to the historic agrarian influence that still sort of permeates in that region, mainly because of it being rather mountainous.

Western Monmouth/Southern Middlesex are known to be more hilly/'adventurous' than Eastern/Northern sections of Monmouth/Middlesex respectively (at least IMO), so there is a lot of charm in this region. Thus, there has to be the right leadership in ensuring exactly that, encouraging capitalism/business but equally preserving nature and ensuring good amenities for the new business and advocacy for parks/nature spaces. It seems like the administrators in township affairs in this region are 'half assing' their attempts in preserving nature and not even attempting to improve amenities.

For anybody that lives in West Monmouth that are simply denying the issue and claiming that people bringing this up are 'Monmouth haters' or whatever (I saw one gullible dude here make that argument, but not going to mention any names), you're quite frankly part of the problem. I currently live in Freehold, and I love the area, so you can't call me a hater of this county. But this general area does genuinely need some 'tough love' if it were to remain a desirable place to live.
Very intelligently written post. I agree, but it won't happen for two reasons. One, the state is too broke these days to funnel any sort of money toward improving road infrastructure. Two, there will always be enough local NIMBY types in that area fighting to put a stop to it. Like I said, they have it that way on purpose to prevent it from getting developed any further. Of course I am with you on the fact that this is taking it way too far, but that's why I think that area is run by a bunch of idiots and would never ever voluntarily live there under any circumstances.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:14 AM

72 posts, read 43,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Very intelligently written post. I agree, but it won't happen for two reasons. One, the state is too broke these days to funnel any sort of money toward improving road infrastructure. Two, there will always be enough local NIMBY types in that area fighting to put a stop to it. Like I said, they have it that way on purpose to prevent it from getting developed any further. Of course I am with you on the fact that this is taking it way too far, but that's why I think that area is run by a bunch of idiots and would never ever voluntarily live there under any circumstances.
Thank you, I appreciate it. It's only been a few days since your reply, and so much insanity is brewing in this general region. Have you been hearing about all of the insanity going on in Howell?

https://patch.com/new-jersey/howell/...monmouth-board

https://centraljersey.com/2019/10/31...ng-ordinances/

Between the excessive building of new 'affordable' homes and a new 'commerce center' to be built up in previous forest/wetlands within the Township, I don't know how anybody can look at this crazy amount of development and not think that there is something sketchy working behind the scenes. Some kind of a backroom deal, just straight up blatant corruption. This is starting to get a bit out of hand, it seems, and I'm not even a stereotypical NIMBY type of person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey