U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:18 AM

2,039 posts, read 946,996 times

Advertisements

Fair Lawn is desirable. It has a large Jewish population, so I suspect some of that growth is coming from that community as well. Centralized location. Good schools. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Capes are getting essentially rebuilt everywhere in NNJ. It's not a very functional floor plan. Even in the smaller home category, people prefer a 3 bedroom ranch with all of the bedrooms on the same level than the 2-up, 2-down layout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 PM

416 posts, read 1,009,777 times
some of you guys are out of your mind, what listings are you looking at?? fair lawn is popular with low-mid range homes...but don't expect much development with 700k and up.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:41 PM

1,043 posts, read 2,323,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
some of you guys are out of your mind, what listings are you looking at?? fair lawn is popular with low-mid range homes...but don't expect much development with 700k and up.
Times are changing there, real quick. It may be the hottest market in Bergen County right now. Honestly, I always thought the town was somewhat underpriced (compared to other Bergen County towns, anyway) considering the quality of town services and schools. (But boy, oh boy, do they need to remodel the library. It looks exactly the same as it did in the 60s when it opened.) Anyway, the secret’s getting out now.

There are plenty of 700K+ houses in the town now. In fact, there are a few going for over a mil in the Radburn and Milnes sections.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 AM

51,195 posts, read 50,480,930 times
One of the prime things about Fair Lawn is location, location, location. Easy commute to the city with two train stations and bus service. Straight run down 4 to the bridge. Access to the GSP right over the border in Paramus. If you want to go away from the city, you just head north on 208. Easy access to all major highways, and of course the Paramus malls if you like that sort of thing.

And weirdly, the town has more baseball fields than any other place I've ever seen.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 AM

416 posts, read 1,009,777 times
zhelder, you are WRONG! they used to build a lot more 700k and up houses but now they slowed down A LOT and you will find few new builds of it. The taxes have gone up, and the schools are having an overcrowding issue and are not doing as well as in the past. There are no houses going for over a million in Radburn and Milnes. go look at njmls.com and search for what's on sale, under contract, and what is sold. You are living in some type of fake bubble. Plus the commercial areas of fair lawn are in horrible shape and they have done zero improvements in improving the appearance of the town. That's why more are looking at other towns like Paramus and River Edge instead of Fair lawn.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 AM

1,944 posts, read 1,037,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One of the prime things about Fair Lawn is location, location, location. Easy commute to the city with two train stations and bus service. Straight run down 4 to the bridge. Access to the GSP right over the border in Paramus. If you want to go away from the city, you just head north on 208. Easy access to all major highways, and of course the Paramus malls if you like that sort of thing.

And weirdly, the town has more baseball fields than any other place I've ever seen.
Well the train commute is not as good as in the towns to the North since only Bergen County line is available. I think only the Radburn station gets decent service with express and local trains stopping. Broadway station I think only has service once every half an hour, even in rush hour... Yes Fair Lawn has access to a lot of highways but they are all traffic choked...

And as someone already pointed out, Fair Lawn's commercial areas are really ugly. River Road, Broadway, Radburn area are hideous although they offer plenty of useful stores and services...

Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 AM

1,043 posts, read 2,323,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
zhelder, you are WRONG! they used to build a lot more 700k and up houses but now they slowed down A LOT and you will find few new builds of it. The taxes have gone up, and the schools are having an overcrowding issue and are not doing as well as in the past. There are no houses going for over a million in Radburn and Milnes. go look at njmls.com and search for what's on sale, under contract, and what is sold. You are living in some type of fake bubble. Plus the commercial areas of fair lawn are in horrible shape and they have done zero improvements in improving the appearance of the town. That's why more are looking at other towns like Paramus and River Edge instead of Fair lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well the train commute is not as good as in the towns to the North since only Bergen County line is available. I think only the Radburn station gets decent service with express and local trains stopping. Broadway station I think only has service once every half an hour, even in rush hour... Yes Fair Lawn has access to a lot of highways but they are all traffic choked...

And as someone already pointed out, Fair Lawn's commercial areas are really ugly. River Road, Broadway, Radburn area are hideous although they offer plenty of useful stores and services...
OK, maybe there aren’t any million dollar homes for sale now in Fair Lawn, but there have been a few over the past couple of years. And a few offered for sale now are real close to that number. As far as the 700K homes, maybe “plenty” was too strong a word, but they are certainly available in the town. People looking at River Edge and Paramus instead of Fair Lawn? Both of those towns are significantly more expensive, and River Edge has worse taxes than Fair Lawn.

Y’all will get no argument from me on Fair Lawn’s commercial areas... most are run down and not pedestrian friendly. And I already mentioned the library, which is incredibly dated. The town does need to modernize. Radburn could be a decent “downtown” area with some updating. But as long as the area lacks a decent food store and the town lets the landlords keep their properties in shambles, it won’t happen. (I’ll never understand why the town didn’t insist a decent food store move in when the Grand Union closed. It’s a perfect spot for an Aldi or a Corrado’s outlet.) The Promenade was a good step, but they didn’t adequately anticipate the crowds, so the parking is horrific.

But River Edge has a lot of dated commercial strips too. Ever drive along Kinderkamack Road there? Not to mention the building that fell apart a few days ago.

Fair Lawn does have its flaws, without a doubt. But the town offers great bang for the Bergen County $$$.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post

I don't think Radburn is as hideous as River Road. Broadway is just Broadway.

I took the train for decades from Ridgewood and from Fair Lawn. No, it's not on the Main Line, but the Main Line takes longer and they don't have express trains. The BC Line service is frequent enough, and the bonus is that you still get express trains that run right to Secaucus and Hoboken after Fair Lawn.

I think it's unreasonable to make a comparison of Fair Lawn to Glen Rock/Ridgewood/Ho-Ho-Kus and so forth northwestward. They aren't in the same league. I thought that was a given. But the town still has a lot going for it for the reasons I mentioned.

Trust me, I grew up in Bergen County (Midland Park) and so I know about the traffic-choked part, but that's also a given: Move to Bergen County, and you are accepting that you will spend a lot of time in traffic. I saw NW Bergen go from sleepy towns with some semi-rural areas to the overly congested, overbuilt place it is now. My mother is still in the home I grew up in, and I almost hate to visit her between the mess that the local roads are now and having to take the GSP to get up there in the first place.

And they just don't stop building, so it's going to get even worse.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
This the same Fairlawn with 2 killings in the last 10 days.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This the same Fairlawn with 2 killings in the last 10 days.
I had to look that up. I thought you were kidding.

Wow.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...lan/767204002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey