U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:34 AM

566 posts, read 440,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
I have heard people say that Paramus has better schools than Fair Lawn but I haven’t seen any support for the proposition. The various ratings websites seem to rank fair lawn higher than Paramus, and even if yoi’re Just focused on something like SAT scores, fair lawn has meaningfully higher scores.

That said, housing stock and taxes are far better in Paramus — no question about that. If I had more confidence in the schools in Paramus I would strongly consider moving there just so we could get a halfway decent 4 bedroom with reasonable taxes, which is exceedingly difficult to find in fair lawn.
My favorite high school ranking is college simply because it uses current numbers and criteria that I think is most important. It does rank Paramus higher than Fair Lawn mostly because more students take the SATs/ACTs/AP exams. I would not avoid Paramus in favor of Fair Lawn if school quality is your concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 04:42 PM

102 posts, read 27,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
My favorite high school ranking is college simply because it uses current numbers and criteria that I think is most important. It does rank Paramus higher than Fair Lawn mostly because more students take the SATs/ACTs/AP exams. I would not avoid Paramus in favor of Fair Lawn if school quality is your concern.
Not sure. Greatschools and schooldigger say lower state test (PARCC) scores and SATs at Paramus? Easy to inflate AP participation—they did that at my high school by pushing everyone to take AP classes. Honestly, Fair Lawn seems borderline already, so feel a little uneasy with a possible decrease in school quality.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:07 PM

430 posts, read 1,034,015 times
Look at the rising prices in Paramus ....who do you think is moving into those houses? Also take in account the lots of money that Paramus schools get because of the HUGE commercial tax base plus the additional revenue from all the new houses. Each new house gets DOUBLES the original taxes of the old house.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 PM

Follow the builders, it will give you an idea on the direction of the town and its value.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:06 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,092,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Look at the rising prices in Paramus ....who do you think is moving into those houses? Also take in account the lots of money that Paramus schools get because of the HUGE commercial tax base plus the additional revenue from all the new houses. Each new house gets DOUBLES the original taxes of the old house.

I am not sure what is so great about Paramus. it is a big suburban sprawl and its Main street is Route 17? No train, no walkable anywhere... If I had money, I would move to either Glen Rock or Ridgewood...

Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 PM

566 posts, read 440,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I am not sure what is so great about Paramus. it is a big suburban sprawl and its Main street is Route 17? No train, no walkable anywhere... If I had money, I would move to either Glen Rock or Ridgewood...
I think people like the new houses and the lower taxes. I also like Ridgewood and glen rock more.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 PM

Paramus has low taxes, newer builds, all tree lined streets, lots of money for schools and programs, express buses, and quick access to any place by highway. Have you seen the taxes in glen rock and ridgewood? Have you seen how old the houses are and how much is needed to get them in shape? And with River Edge right next to Paramus, a person can just sign up to the waiting list (its open to everyone) and park there if they want to use the train.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:54 PM

992 posts, read 3,137,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I know one couple who can easily afford a house in Ridgewood and Glen Rock, but decided on Paramus instead. The property taxes are cheaper and they had no desire to deal with the hoity-toity crowd in GR and especially Ridgewood. The schools in Paramus are great, without the cut-throat competitiveness. They believe Paramus has a more grounded, family-friendly environment. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:10 PM

55 posts, read 32,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
biohazard,

show me the addresses of these so called run down spilt levels going for 600k+. you can search for them on njmls.com under sold. fair lawn is not a bad town, but its not rising in INCREASED value. And Paramus Schools are higher than Fair Lawn. Look at the direction Paramus is heading, the prices are increasing and increasing. You have homes being sold in Paramus at 1.4 million. I'm not saying Fair Lawn is bad, but at a certain price point....homes in fair lawn have a harder time selling. Fair Lawn can easily correct itself by improving its commercial areas, planting more trees, and giving people a chance to breathe with its taxes

You can look for rundown split levels under 700 on your own. That's rather time consuming. I was actively looking for my friends last summer and I found that you cannot buy a move-in condition split level in Milnes or Radburn for under 650k w/o a major flaw. We bought our split level for 600k back in 2016 in Milnes after 2 days on the market and a 4 way bidding war. It was newly renovated and only 1760 sq feet. As far as Fair Lawn schools, here is the latest niche rating - https://www.niche.com/k12/d/fair-law...l-district-nj/. Paramus is somewhere around the 40s on that list if you scroll down. I'm sure homes in Paramus go for 1.4 mill but that's b/c the property tax is absurdly low. I absolutely agree that Fair Lawn has room for improvement. I'd love lower taxes and maybe a better downtown. My street has tons of trees though. Either way, the trees and taxes are not stopping people from moving en masse to Fair Lawn. The schools are expending to accommodate the amount of young families moving to town.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 PM

55 posts, read 32,021 times
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes.../s/new-jersey/
more on school ratings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey