Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:58 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL X 3.

It's Taylor ham, of course...
You get a pass if your granny called it that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:29 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Isn’t this horse dead yet? (no offense to horse lovers; just an expression)

Old 02-03-2019, 12:11 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i forget, as a holmdel resident do i live in northern or souther jersey?

i grew up in this area in monmouth county (manalapan & marlboro) and we always referred to is as central jersey. it wasnt until recently that i found out that there was a controversy about this.
According to NJSIAA - Holmdel is part of the Central group. Other towns included are the Brunswicks, Plainfield, Pt. Pleasant, Princeton, Colts Neck, Haddon Twp., Hopewell, Rumson-Fair Haven, Red Bank, Neptune, Hunterdon, Robbinsville, and yes, the Berkeley Heights high school is in there as well. I think we're probably the farthest north of all the towns listed, though. Slightly further north than Plainfield. I think Haddon Township is probably the southern-most town in the group, and I can't quite figure out how it's included, but it is.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:32 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
I grew up in Essex County which is clearly North Jersey. Spent the better part of my adult life until moving out of state in Manalapan which is clearly Central Jersey.

I think South Jersey starts south of Howell I-195. Central Jersey is a strange one though. Area Codes aside I never thought of Plainfield or Berkeley Heights as being in Central Jersey always though of that area as North more than Central. It becomes unclear as you go west on 78 and 22. Jersey is weird like that.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I grew up in Essex County which is clearly North Jersey. Spent the better part of my adult life until moving out of state in Manalapan which is clearly Central Jersey.

I think South Jersey starts south of Howell I-195. Central Jersey is a strange one though. Area Codes aside I never thought of Plainfield or Berkeley Heights as being in Central Jersey always though of that area as North more than Central. It becomes unclear as you go west on 78 and 22. Jersey is weird like that.
Here's a theory. If you look at a map of Union County, on the western edge, Berkeley Heights and Plainfield both stick out like promontories on the far edge of the county. Maybe that's why we're separated into the Central Group classification?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 3,807 times
How many times does that faulty map have to be spammed haha, oddly enough I just clicked on the wiki link and found this image which IMO is pretty much the perfect rendition of how the state breaks down.
I'm not a huge fan of wiki but that is pretty perfect.

Whoever mentioned last weeks snowfall I still have remnants of that snow on my property, whereas throughout my commute through central jersey (middlesex, etc) was rain and slush. Fwiw typically the alerts of Snow fall in northern jersey include Union County among the rest.

As brand new parents as of last weekend, thank you, thank you (donations accepted, cash only please) my wife and I had to do a car seat check before leaving the hospital. Good news is we passed, hurray, but can you believe that as soon as I open our folder, the first document I see is "North NJ Car seat safety testing facilities." I just laughed and thought I had to update my citydata buddies on this yuugge development on this border crisis. Stay tuned for more developments but for now I have to get back to my taylor ham and cheese.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:59 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
This to me is closer to being correct.................

Old 02-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908and201 View Post
How many times does that faulty map have to be spammed haha, oddly enough I just clicked on the wiki link and found this image which IMO is pretty much the perfect rendition of how the state breaks down.
I'm not a huge fan of wiki but that is pretty perfect.

Whoever mentioned last weeks snowfall I still have remnants of that snow on my property, whereas throughout my commute through central jersey (middlesex, etc) was rain and slush. Fwiw typically the alerts of Snow fall in northern jersey include Union County among the rest.

As brand new parents as of last weekend, thank you, thank you (donations accepted, cash only please) my wife and I had to do a car seat check before leaving the hospital. Good news is we passed, hurray, but can you believe that as soon as I open our folder, the first document I see is "North NJ Car seat safety testing facilities." I just laughed and thought I had to update my citydata buddies on this yuugge development on this border crisis. Stay tuned for more developments but for now I have to get back to my taylor ham and cheese.
First, congratulations. While you're not getting any cash from me, I will extend wishes for a good sleeper for you.

For Scouts, There is a "Northern NJ Council". It's made up of Bergen, Passaic, Hudson and Essex counties.

There used to be a "Central", which was Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex and Warren. Now there's "Patriot's Path Council" which is Morris, Sussex, Somerset, Union, and Middlesex. Hunterdon and Mercer are now part of "Washington's Crossing Council", which is actually based in Bucks County PA. Warren County got moved to "Minisi Trails" also out of PA. Union County used to be part of the "Watchung Area Council". Morris-Sussex used to be it's own council.

"Southern" was Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem, then they added Burlington and it became the "Garden State Council".

So... even in Boy Scout history, the Central part of NJ was muddled, lol.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:52 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post

Well you have to draw the line somewhere but Union in Central Jersey? Nah.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:43 AM

36 posts, read 19,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post

What’s the difference between your map and the map posted right before yours that makes your post more correct if I may ask? If it’s the fact that it includes Union county as part of Central NJ then I’d probably say it’s less correct. The population center of Union County swing to the northern side of the county. It’s most prominent cities, Union and Elizabeth, are much more culturally connected to North Jersey than it is to central NJ.

Honestly I feel like if we were trying to make a map that was as accurate as possible then I would say we should be able to divide parts of the counties of NJ to fit the regions better. I’d give the southern edge if Union to central NJ while keeping the majority of it that remains to North Jersey. I’d also divide Ocean County into parts with the northern half (or even the northern third) going to Central NJ and the remaining to South Jersey. I’m definitely sure that there are a few people who live in towns near Atlantic County who don’t think they’re in Central NJ and rather see themselves as part of the south region

There are a few other counties that I think we could divide up as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey