U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:06 AM

809 posts, read 705,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
That is a good map if you break it down by county lines.

However, if you breakdown by it by natural geography, some people might want to include the far northern part of Burlington County (the part that is near Trenton) in Central New Jersey. Also some people might include southern Ocean county in South Jersey because much of it is pine barrens like southern New Jersey.

Personally as a New Yorker, I look at the Raritan River as good natural border for North and Central Jersey. So northern Middlesex is in Northern New Jersey while southern Middlesex is in Central New Jersey.
Folks in Edison and Woodbridge consider it Central Jersey.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 04:48 PM

7,557 posts, read 10,875,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Folks in Edison and Woodbridge consider it Central Jersey.
What people call something and what actually is can be debatable.

For instance, because Woodbridge is in Middlesex County, people might think of it as Central Jersey. But looking at a map, Woodbridge looks about the same distance to Elizabeth then say Old Bridge and is not even that far from Newark. In fact, Woodbridge is north of I-287 and almost as far north as Coney Island, Brooklyn. That does not seem like Central Jersey to me.

In other words, if you just go by county borders then I would say Woodbridge is Central Jersey, however if you break it down by geography then it is more debatable.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:20 AM

3,862 posts, read 1,353,074 times
Thing is, it's not only geography. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Virginia as being 'north'. Culturally, VA isn't even remotely north, even though you might be able to fit it in there based on only the map.

I'll agree that Newark doesn't strike me as being central, but when I think of "North Jersey" I think of Rtes. 4 and 17, and towns like Paramus, Englewood, Patterson, Ridgewood, etc. Additionally, north would include Newton, Andover and Sparta, and while they're indisputably in the northern part of the state, I'm not sure how many people think of those towns when we talk about North Jersey.

So there are a bunch of towns that I think of as central that are north of the Raritan or 287, but that don't feel like they're part of the urban feel that north jersey has, and that don't fit in with south jersey, either.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM

8,256 posts, read 15,356,643 times
All the alerts on the highways yesterday were for snow in the "Northern Half of New Jersey." If there was only north and south Jersey, couldn't they just have said "Snow in North Jersey"? But they didn't. They differentiated between "north Jersey" and "the northern half of Jersey". That means more than North and South exist, so there has to be a central.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 AM

22,402 posts, read 34,232,320 times
could it just be as simple as North equals parts that associate strongly with the NYC metro, South with Philly, central the tweaners and a small sliver of the state, maybe Mercer and Huntingdon. I also think the shore towns mostly align by this dynamic with LBI being the central beach

as an outsider, well not far from jersey at all the other that makes sense to me is that central is 195 to 287 (maybe 78 extended west)

Old 02-28-2019, 05:44 PM

409 posts, read 208,210 times
any household that gets both nyc and philly news is central.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:01 PM

7,557 posts, read 10,875,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
could it just be as simple as North equals parts that associate strongly with the NYC metro, South with Philly, central the tweaners and a small sliver of the state, maybe Mercer and Huntingdon. I also think the shore towns mostly align by this dynamic with LBI being the central beach

as an outsider, well not far from jersey at all the other that makes sense to me is that central is 195 to 287 (maybe 78 extended west)
Isn't it interesting that a small state like New Jersey packs so much diversity in a relatively small area? I mean for instance, New Jersey has a high population density but still has room for some wild lands like the Pine Barrens.

Massachusetts is similar to some extent. Interestingly, both states even have their own battleships!

Old 02-28-2019, 06:27 PM

3,862 posts, read 1,353,074 times
Quote:
Isn't it interesting that a small state like New Jersey packs so much diversity in a relatively small area? I mean for instance, New Jersey has a high population density but still has room for some wild lands like the Pine Barrens.

Massachusetts is similar to some extent. Interestingly, both states even have their own battleships!
Agree. Urban areas, beaches, farms, flat lands, marshes and swamps, hilly and rocky areas...

We might have moved here solely for commuting distance to the city and school, but I've come to love NJ way more than I ever thought I would. My BIL and his wife lived here when we were in the city, and they're both somewhat snobby and their friends were worse. I was half-dreading the move. So happy to say I've not met more than a small handful of people like that since we got here.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:45 PM

16,922 posts, read 6,978,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
any household that gets both nyc and philly news is central.
LOL, so true.Growing up it wasgreat during the Football season.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:39 PM

74 posts, read 51,165 times
Quote:
What people call something and what actually is can be debatable.

For instance, because Woodbridge is in Middlesex County, people might think of it as Central Jersey. But looking at a map, Woodbridge looks about the same distance to Elizabeth then say Old Bridge and is not even that far from Newark. In fact, Woodbridge is north of I-287 and almost as far north as Coney Island, Brooklyn. That does not seem like Central Jersey to me.

In other words, if you just go by county borders then I would say Woodbridge is Central Jersey, however if you break it down by geography then it is more debatable.
True, but when a significant amount of people in that region consider themselves Central, then that is something to take into consideration. Central to me, and keep in mind this is coming from someone who grew up in Southern Middlesex/Western Monmouth, in its entirety includes Middlesex, Monmouth, Mercer, Somerset, and Hunterdon Counties. The Northern third of Ocean County (so Toms River/Brick areas & north) is Central, and the Southern/Western third of Union (Plainfield/Westfield areas & south/west) is also Central. You can even make the claim that VERY southern parts of Warren County like Phillipsburg area and VERY northern parts of Bulington County like Florencetown area, are also Central.

While geography does come into play, and I do agree with some posters that much of Central Jersey geographically is just a 'suburban' extension of Northern Jersey, I also do think that culture is pretty pivotal as well. I mean we're known for having Rutgers University, not to mention healthcare being a vital industry (Robert Wood Johnson, University Medical Center in Princeton), the music scene in New Brunswick and Red Bank, 'Little India' and much more South and Eastern Asian diveristy, etc. etc.

This is especially true when towns like Middletown have become a punching bag for both sides of the state to make fun of (even though many parts of Middletown have clear views of Manhattan and the outer boroughs, but yet Northerners still consider 'South Jersey'.... but I digress). Much of Central Jersey borders Staten Island, in particular Middlesex, Monmouth, and Union Counties. Much of Central Jersey also borders the Philly suburbs in PA, in particular Mercer, Hunterdon, and Warren. The only Central Jersey counties that don't have direct borders to either NY or Philly are Somerset and Ocean (although Ocean, as mentioned prior, is debatably considered Central in its entirety). So yes, much of Central Jersey is just an extension of the NY Metro area, having grown up near towns like Old Bridge, The Brunswicks, Monroe, Manalapan, Marlboro, and Freehold areas, I can attest to the amount NY Transplants I've came across (and low and behold, I am one of those). However, when you move into this part of the state, while yes geographically you aren't that far to NY/NNJ in the grand scheme of things, there is still a sublime experience that you have that makes this region distinct.

If you really want to learn more and experience that sublime for yourself, visit any town, going North to South that is north of Interstate 195 (aka the Central Jersey Turnpike, ironically) and South of Interstate 287, and going West to East that is West of Garden State Parkway and East of the New Jersey Turnpike. That is around the region where I grew up and is the essence of Central Jersey. The Northern parts of Middlesex or many parts of Mercer/Southern Monmouth may not really give you that 'Central' vibe, but the region I'm describing you'll certainly will feel like you're in Central New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey