U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:05 PM

71 posts, read 43,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
There definitely is a Central Jersey. As someone not originally from the Northeast, but who has lived in Philly and now Hudson County, I strongly believe there is. The entire controversy over Central Jersey is literally the fact that it is a blended region.
I agree.

Quote:
Mercer County is considered part of the NYC MSA, and many people from there work in NYC, but there are also a lot of connections between Trenton and Philly. The architecture of Trenton is more similar to Philly than NYC. You'll see equal representation of sports teams flags throughout Mercer and Trenton. Working in law and government, we deal with Trenton a lot. They often have slight Philly accents. My boss was a lady born and raised in Mercer County suburbs; her accent was pure North Jersey. However, when on the phone with Trenton officials, they sometimes have very obvious Philly accents. Like when the lawyers are "mad" about their "orders". If you know the Philly accent, you know exactly how they've said it, and it's much different from NYC.
Yeah Trenton is the epitome of Central Jersey in that aspect. It is considered NYC MSA, but is also considered Delaware Valley in the New Jersey Department of Tourism. It's equally equidistant between NY & Philly, although by car I think it's slightly closer to Philly. Nonetheless, it represents everything about Jersey in a nutshell. You work in govt.?

Quote:
The Shore is often considered South Jersey to everyone in the obvious North Jersey counties. However, commuting patterns, accents, and cityscapes would beg to differ.

South Jersey likes to consider Mercer and Hunterdon as North Jersey, but in my personal experiences, those areas have quite a lot of connection to the Philly MSA, which should in turn make them related more to South Jersey if you follow the grander idea of the MSA. As in, Lambertville and New Hope share a lot. People from Flemington seem to split between Philly and NYC for jobs in my observations.

I think the problem is that the regions don't divide well on county lines. I.e. Freehold to me feels South Jersey. However, the Shore towns east of Freehold feel more connected to North Jersey and NYC...literally with a train line connecting them to Manhattan. That to me makes Monmouth (at least the northern part) a contender for Central Jersey. Many people who work in Trenton commute from Freehold, but Asbury Park and Long Branch are undeniably Shore towns for North Jersey and NYC. That blending of influences and culture is what makes Central Jersey, IMO.

If I had to put a dividing line, it would be at New Brunswick. New Brunswick and Flemington start Central Jersey to the south. It continues down to Trenton and over to Toms River/Seaside Heights. South of Bordentown and Fort Dix is South Jersey.
Yeah much of the Northern Jersey Shore Region is heavily New York based. You ever been to Asbury Park or Red Bank? Very trendy and artsy towns that will make you hard pressed in thinking you're in Jersey. They have a Brooklyn/Greenwich vibe to them, and like you said they have relatively easy access to the city.

Also, Freehold to me is also more North than South. It is more inland than Red Bank & Asbury and thus it will seem much more spread out in comparison. However, drive around the area by Freehold Raceway Mall or Downtown Freehold in the borough and the town becomes pretty lively. Theres a lot of nice Victorian era homes on grid like streets in that part of town. Downtown Freehold is more 'blue collar' than Red Bank or Asbury, but its still nice to walk around at, especially in the summer time for various concerts and farmer's markets there. The town, like those out east, also has transportation to the city and the commuting pattern is typically more NNJ/NY based than any other points in Jersey. Never really heard of anybody in the Western Monmouth/Southern Middlesex region commuting to Philly, but I'm sure they're few and far between somewhere.

Overall, Monmouth County is definitely one of the most diverse landscapes in the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 PM

227 posts, read 182,375 times
Union County is in Central Jersey..........................

Old 05-16-2019, 12:38 AM

5,569 posts, read 14,136,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
That's debatable especially when you can visually see NYC from most of it and Newark Airport is partially in Union County.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:20 AM

538 posts, read 508,481 times
Quote:
Yes, but Central Jersey just a part of Northern NJ.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM

8,256 posts, read 15,131,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
Yes, but Central Jersey just a part of Northern NJ.
I hope your goal was a little laugh from that, because it worked. Thank you lol

Old 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM

538 posts, read 508,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I hope your goal was a little laugh from that, because it worked. Thank you lol
Well, while I do deep down think it is true, I was purposefully saying something provocative for only the reason of being provocative. Not my normal means of engagement, but I guess I was feeling feisty at the time.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:17 PM

307 posts, read 162,592 times
Quote:

Does Union county get Philly news? That is the deciding factor you know . Have to get both NY & philly news....

Old 05-18-2019, 09:13 AM

719 posts, read 132,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Does Union county get Philly news? That is the deciding factor you know . Have to get both NY & philly news....
This is an outlier to that rule but the Atlantic city area still receives WPIX on Comcast, and that's quite far down to be in Central NJ. It's a legacy carryover from when WWOR and WPIX were superstations. If we say two or more NYC and two or more Philly channels, then you have a region where it's Central NJ.

And going by that would seem to align closer to what those in the South/Philly area think of Central NJ. Those in South Jersey and Philadelphia area, who are not Indian, would say Edison is North Jersey. People in North Jersey, Central NJ and those in Edison itself would overall say Edison is in Central NJ. Edison doesn't get any Philly news, sports channels or influence.

Last edited by g555; 05-18-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 AM

6,626 posts, read 16,946,118 times
I’ve always thought of New Brunswick as the “capital” of Central Jersey. They don’t get Philly news, etc. there either. But they do say “pork roll” there.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:38 AM

15,954 posts, read 19,228,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I’ve always thought of New Brunswick as the “capital” of Central Jersey. They don’t get Philly news, etc. there either.
To a great extent, it depends on the way that someone receives his/her TV signal. I live about 7 miles West of New Brunswick, and when I had Comcast I received both Philly and NY stations. When I switched to satellite TV service there was no "Philly coverage", and now that I have FiOS there is also no "Philly coverage".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or