U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 AM

8 posts, read 4,548 times

Advertisements

Hi - browsed some older threads on this but wondering if some of the info may be out of date.

Living in Manhattan currently (UWS), but looking at moving to Fort Lee or Edgewater to save a bit on rent and get a bigger apartment than generally available in the city. Would like a place with a quieter vibe than NYC, but not necessarily fully suburban (it would be nice to have easy access to some restaurants and such).

He's commuting right across the GWB, so could bike or bus over from Fort Lee no problem. The issue is that I need to get to the very west edge of midtown. The ferry would be fastest, though regrettably costly, and I gather there are shuttle buses from Fort Lee so it's an option for either town. The bus/train options from either town seem to set me up for ~75 minute trip considering my work is at 30th & 10th ave.

I get the general impression that a comparable apartment will be somewhat cheaper in Fort Lee than in Edgewater, but that Edgewater has a bit of an edge in terms of nice walking along the river, lots of good groceries and luxury rentals. Our budget is probably about $2,500, ideally less, we can afford more but with the intention of moving to save money it's hard to justify paying more than that. We really only need a 1 bedroom, but it must be spacious and comfortable, and a small second bedroom would be a bonus (to use as an office and maybe in a couple years for a kiddo).

Questions:
1. Thoughts on the ease of commuting to midtown?
2. Do we need a car for both? We may do this anyhow as it would be nice to have the ability to drive to hiking and such, but want to understand if it's necessary or not in these towns
3. How do you compare the general vibe of each town? Accessible grocery stores, restaurants, etc?
4. Any specific recommendations of apartment buildings or specific spots in either city that are more fun/convenient/commuter friendly?
5. Any other towns we should consider that would be on a train line into Penn for me and a bus line over the GWB for him? A not too painful commute is high priority.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 PM

263 posts, read 516,303 times
The area by the GWB on the fort lee side is a great place for commuters. There has been a lot of development there recently. You can also easily catch a free ride across the bridge in the morning from drivers who are looking for ppl to get the carpool discount.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:50 PM

20,553 posts, read 15,609,862 times
Both areas requires driving. They are not walkable to anything towns unlike Hoboken. You cannot bike in NJ, its suicide. You can use Uber but but ready for surge pricing. If you want a walkable easy commute town these 2 towns are not.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 4,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Both areas requires driving. They are not walkable to anything towns unlike Hoboken. You cannot bike in NJ, its suicide. You can use Uber but but ready for surge pricing. If you want a walkable easy commute town these 2 towns are not.

That's fine. It's not an issue - I figured I'll probably get a car for general quality of life, I just wanted to know if it would be an urgent need or not.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:46 PM

3,487 posts, read 2,700,515 times
Everything in Edgewater is in little shopping complexes so it’s not really a walking town. It’s a very short drive to everything, though.

Fort Lee has Main St/Lemoine Ave so you have a lot more things you can potentially walk to. I still prefer Edgewater, personally, but both are fine towns.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 510,079 times
Both are nice, but prefer Edgewater overall

Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 5,739,905 times
and you can do kyokushin karate in edgewater

Old 06-26-2019, 06:25 AM

10,913 posts, read 8,123,431 times
Is it diverse? Do Latinos live in these areas? I am looking to buy next year.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:12 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,447,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Is it diverse? Do Latinos live in these areas? I am looking to buy next year.

If you want Latin diversity look south of Fort Lee. Union City is 80% Spanish speakers and North Bergen isn't far behind.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:44 AM

20,553 posts, read 15,609,862 times
The higher you go on Fort Lee hill, the more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey