U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:50 AM

29,119 posts, read 28,147,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Just one person's opinion, but NJ isn't a great place to live. The schools have a good reputation but you pay out the ass in taxes for that. The level of compensation in NJ is pretty good...but again you pay out the ass in taxes and property cost. The weather isn't great...you get a hot humid summer and a cold snowy winter. And the people...well the reputation is earned.

Ultimately, New Jerseyeans are loud in voicing how great NJ is (and the bagels/pizza truly are) but have you ever felt the need to loudly defend an inferior consumer product you overspent on?

It's kind of the same thing.
If you think New Jersey is hot and humid in the summer, you haven't lived in North Carolina. I have. I moved there in July, 1986 during a heat wave. I wasn't prepared.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 PM

16,413 posts, read 19,817,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If you think New Jersey is hot and humid in the summer, you haven't lived in North Carolina.
… or South Carolina, or Georgia, or Florida, or Alabama, or Mississippi, or Louisiana...

Old 07-21-2018, 04:49 PM

510 posts, read 392,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
I've worked up in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre areas. I don't think I could ever live up in that area, but that is a different world from Philly and its suburbs. Some very pretty country, and I love the view of mountains on the horizon, but it does seem like a depressed area. Some horror stories of those old mining towns like Centralia which is still on fire after 50 years and had to be abandoned. I have either lived or spent a significant amount of time in many areas throughout NJ and where I live now in Bucks County - 10 miles from the city limits of Philadalphia - has been hands down better in terms of quality of life than anything I ever knew in Jersey.

Going by your profile I see you are in zip code 07424 which serves Little Falls and Woodland Park (formerly West Paterson - they changed the name because they didn't want to be associated with Paterson) in Passaic County. That is a very nice area with decent homes on pretty rolling hills and a quaint Main St but still close to 46 and all the restaurants and shopping, Willowbrook Mall which I only visited once and seemed decent. Montclair State University is close by. Passaic Valley HS which I think is OK. I have no idea what the taxes in that area are like, but probably cheaper than neighboring areas in Bergen and Essex Counties. I don't see anything wrong with that area except aren't some parts of it flood prone?
Funny you mention Philly because I actually lived there during college and for a year or two after. I was not a fan of the area or suburbs. Something about it never clicked with me. Maybe it's because I can't stand Philly sports teams. The only areas I liked was the mainline, but it still has the problem with the sports fans so again it always circles back to that issue.

As for where I live now, we have a lovely house in a beautiful neighborhood. Taxes are usually cheaper than Bergen or Essex, but not as much as you would think, however we get much more land vs the other two counties. Some backyards in Essex are microscopic. Some parts flood, although Little Falls just had a massive buyout program to get rid of the properties that flood continually. Of course flooding is actually an issue in a good chunk of North Jersey. Pequannock, Fairfield, Lincoln Park also have huge flooding issues, possibly worse in some regards because they have it due to a watershed/dam issue. At least in the Passaic Valley area you can say, "you're the idiot who bought a house next to a river".

Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 PM

1,510 posts, read 774,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamedDumplings View Post
Hi folks,

My husband and I are considering a potential move to NJ in the next year or two, mostly for career and educational reasons. (We have a lot of family in the area as well.) He is an N.J. native but hasn’t lived in the state since childhood and has spent most of his life in the South. I am an NC native, open to moving, and I have a bit of an odd request.

There’s a lot of negativity on this forum about New Jersey. I’d like to hear the other side of the story. Did you move here and like it? If so, where did you move from and what do you love about it? Heck, if you’re a New Jersey native and love your home state, feel free to share that, too!
I am a New Jersey native and I hate my state and the East Coast with a passion. Almost every New Jersey native loves living here to death, but I am the odd guy out. I visited different states in the West and I will never want to live back East after I graduate college. I am sick of Nor'Easters, mass snowstorms, summer humidity, horrible hurricanes, generic scenery, etc. There are things I don't like about NJ itself. I don't like the cops and NJ is populated with way too many cranky old people everywhere I go (I am disgusted that NJ is becoming like Florida). I love the West. The climate and scenery are so much more decent and not every place out West is expensive like how people stereotype it. West makes me feel alive. I can never live the rest of my life on the East. I also need a change for personal reasons too.

Last edited by potanta; 07-21-2018 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 09:41 PM

29,119 posts, read 28,147,382 times
Excluding the coastal storms, Southern New Jersey has problems, too.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/st...lood/12534861/

Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 PM

12,907 posts, read 11,733,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Just one person's opinion, but NJ isn't a great place to live. The schools have a good reputation but you pay out the ass in taxes for that. The level of compensation in NJ is pretty good...but again you pay out the ass in taxes and property cost. The weather isn't great...you get a hot humid summer and a cold snowy winter. And the people...well the reputation is earned.

Ultimately, New Jerseyeans are loud in voicing how great NJ is (and the bagels/pizza truly are) but have you ever felt the need to loudly defend an inferior consumer product you overspent on?

It's kind of the same thing.
Define inferior.

Part of the reason we are so defensive is because we react to negativity against us, often by people who have never stepped foot here (or outside the airport/trip to NYC from the airport) and have no clue what they're talking about. NJ is incessantly hated on and ribbed, I think most "NJ is great" comments are responses to the ridiculous national and international hate we receive for no good, valid reason. If people basically weren't d*cks about us, we wouldn't even need to talk about ourselves so much tbh.

Example - was taking a friend from southern CA to Seaside Park to see the area. She was on the phone with a family member back in CA while in the car with me. She told him she was going to the "Jersey Shore" and he replied, so loud I could hear, "why would you want to go THERE?" Uhh, idk, maybe because it's a 100+ mile stretch of coastline ranging from natural parkland to quiet, family friendly residential areas with mansions or bungalows and anything in between, to more "resort" or entertainment style towns like Seaside Heights or Wildwood? Maybe because it actually isn't much different than basically any other coastline along the East Coast? Do people really think somehow the beaches and all of the land and everything gets sh*tty once you cross the borders from DE and NY? I mean, what? Why?

Another example - another CA friend was surprised to see so many trees along the parkway as I drove her, also, to the beach. Like, you didn't think we'd have a lot of trees?? This is the East Coast, it's quite green, what did you actually think? And she commented, seemingly in a state of at least mild surprise, how clean the beach was; again, you thought it wouldn't be? Clearly people have negative ideas, and most other states don't have reputations as bad as ours.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 07-21-2018 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 07:47 AM

16,413 posts, read 19,817,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Another example - another CA friend was surprised to see so many trees along the parkway as I drove her
If that person is from Central or Southern California, his/her reaction was especially ironic, in light of the reality that the predominant color of those parts of California is BROWN. Seeing lush greenery and masses of trees is the exception to the rule in those arid regions, which are frequently denuded by raging wildfires.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 AM

2,510 posts, read 1,751,347 times
I think the key will be what town you decide on (don't know if you have kids or not or need schools etc)

I find some towns in North Jersey to be positively repulsive in snobbery, like Could. Not. Live. There.

But then the next town over will be great and down-to-earth.

If you do come back I would highly recommend renting for a year or two until you get your bearings and figure out where you want to be long-term

Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 AM

9,217 posts, read 13,166,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Define inferior.

Part of the reason we are so defensive is because we react to negativity against us, often by people who have never stepped foot here (or outside the airport/trip to NYC from the airport) and have no clue what they're talking about. NJ is incessantly hated on and ribbed, I think most "NJ is great" comments are responses to the ridiculous national and international hate we receive for no good, valid reason. If people basically weren't d*cks about us, we wouldn't even need to talk about ourselves so much tbh.

Example - was taking a friend from southern CA to Seaside Park to see the area. She was on the phone with a family member back in CA while in the car with me. She told him she was going to the "Jersey Shore" and he replied, so loud I could hear, "why would you want to go THERE?" Uhh, idk, maybe because it's a 100+ mile stretch of coastline ranging from natural parkland to quiet, family friendly residential areas with mansions or bungalows and anything in between, to more "resort" or entertainment style towns like Seaside Heights or Wildwood? Maybe because it actually isn't much different than basically any other coastline along the East Coast? Do people really think somehow the beaches and all of the land and everything gets sh*tty once you cross the borders from DE and NY? I mean, what? Why?

Another example - another CA friend was surprised to see so many trees along the parkway as I drove her, also, to the beach. Like, you didn't think we'd have a lot of trees?? This is the East Coast, it's quite green, what did you actually think? And she commented, seemingly in a state of at least mild surprise, how clean the beach was; again, you thought it wouldn't be? Clearly people have negative ideas, and most other states don't have reputations as bad as ours.
The beaches are terrible compared to California.

Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara have miles of beaches and they are cleaner, more pleasant, and have typically much more pleasant temperatures.

But more importantly, during the summer months, the entire Jersey shore is overrun with 20% of the population of NJ, Philly, and NYC.

But OP is not from California. I can see someone moving from Cali to NJ for a 'cheaper' lifestyle, as ironic as that might seem.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:45 AM

12,907 posts, read 11,733,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The beaches are terrible compared to California.

Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara have miles of beaches and they are cleaner, more pleasant, and have typically much more pleasant temperatures.

But more importantly, during the summer months, the entire Jersey shore is overrun with 20% of the population of NJ, Philly, and NYC.

But OP is not from California. I can see someone moving from Cali to NJ for a 'cheaper' lifestyle, as ironic as that might seem.
Not all would agree. I have not been to CA but I know people who have and some were not too impressed with CA beaches. Also, the water there is cold. The water doesn't get super warm here but I would go to FL for a beach experience before CA, if I wanted a beach centered vacation personally. Particularly the Gulf Coast. And in your eyes are most East Coast beaches terrible compared to CA or is it somehow just a NJ thing even though basically the whole coastline of the East Coast outside of a couple states/areas all looks the same? Typically flat barrier islands, sometimes built up, sometimes not. If not barrier islands, definitely pretty flat. Dunes, dune grass, etc.

I also don't know what beaches people go to in NJ that aren't clean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If that person is from Central or Southern California, his/her reaction was especially ironic, in light of the reality that the predominant color of those parts of California is BROWN. Seeing lush greenery and masses of trees is the exception to the rule in those arid regions, which are frequently denuded by raging wildfires.
Yes, Southern CA. One would think maybe her surprise was just to see so much greenery, but she wasn't new to the East Coast and had already been to VT, the DC area, and NYC including all boroughs. She'd also been to FL. So greenery itself wasn't surprising to her, it seemed it was surprising to see it in NJ.

It's really just the ignorance of people that surprises me, in general. Do people REALLY think that ALL of NJ looks like Newark Airport and surrounding areas? I mean, HOW is that logical? How does that make sense? How does it make sense that NY is known for the beautiful Hamptons but suddenly the NJ beaches and beach towns are apparently like super inferior, just slightly down the coastline, people scoff and giggle at the idea of NJ beaches, then suddenly it's all nice again in the well-known OBX just a few states down? It doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey