Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 11:06 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
So i just received more information on this particular building and the breakdown is out of 16 units 4 are owned by one investor and there are two others who own 2 units each vs one investor owning 8 units.
There are about 5 tenants who are senior citizens and rest is individually owned and some owner occupied.

Does it still appear as risky? I am finding your answers very helpful and appreciate any other advice/feedback. thank you.
Ok, you've confused me with numbers. In your first post you said that the building had 14 units.

If that's the same one you listed above you have 4+2+2+5, so 13 units. Plus 3(?) more owner occupied to get to the new number of 16. Are the senior citizens owner occupiers?

Having that many rentals can be problematic for getting financing to buy. The big thing is to have a strong Board but a building with that few units, unless it's part of a larger development, is very easy to have one owner control it. The investors with multiple units will likely get a vote for each unit owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 AM

111 posts, read 91,033 times
yes, so it is confirmed that this particular building has 16 units and 8 of them are individually owned, the other eight: 4 are owned by one investor, 2 other investors own 2 each. Senior citizens are tenants who have been there since 1980's.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:29 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
yes, so it is confirmed that this particular building has 16 units and 8 of them are individually owned, the other eight: 4 are owned by one investor, 2 other investors own 2 each. Senior citizens are tenants who have been there since 1980's.
Ok. How many units are owner occupied? You called the senior citizens "tenants" so their units are owned by one of the investors?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:36 AM

389 posts, read 664,234 times
re: the maintenance issue option

This is OT, but this is the ONE place that Co-ops > Condo, IMO. Co-Op could actually foreclose and evict a shareholder-tenant. I am not so sure that Condo's have the same legal options.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok. How many units are owner occupied? You called the senior citizens "tenants" so their units are owned by one of the investors?
Yes, senior citizens are tenants to one of the investors. Not sure how many are owner occupied but obviously less than %50.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:26 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Quote:
So i just received more information on this particular building and the breakdown is out of 16 units 4 are owned by one investor and there are two others who own 2 units each vs one investor owning 8 units.
There are about 5 tenants who are senior citizens and rest is individually owned and some owner occupied.

Does it still appear as risky? I am finding your answers very helpful and appreciate any other advice/feedback. thank you.
Less risky than only one investor owning half but still risky with three. Someone also brought up the mortgage issue also. Banks my not give you a mortgage with that many rentals in the building. I would ask your bank because if you can't get the financing it's a non starter. Might as well move on.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:35 PM

124 posts, read 170,864 times
There is a reason you are paying all cash. No bank will lend to to the money to purchase this Condo. The condo that I lived in previously has a 20% default rate and they banks weren’t really willling to lend. We sold for cash. Also, it was super awkward with the tenants. Everyone knew the units that were in default. So 50% default. No way.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:35 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,599 times
I viewed a unit like that last year in Journal Square area. Not sure if it's the same building you viewed, but when I saw the building financials I couldn't believe that anyone would want to buy into the building, we didn't even place an offer because the reserve fund was like 5K. And yet, there was a bidding war for the unit and it sold way over asking. There's always a sucker for any investment, not bad for a seller as long you can unload it in the future.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
I viewed a unit like that last year in Journal Square area. Not sure if it's the same building you viewed, but when I saw the building financials I couldn't believe that anyone would want to buy into the building, we didn't even place an offer because the reserve fund was like 5K. And yet, there was a bidding war for the unit and it sold way over asking. There's always a sucker for any investment, not bad for a seller as long you can unload it in the future.
This was a building near the Lincoln Park. I loved the apartment but I also didn't make an offer because of the financials. The broker called to follow up and within a week they also had multiple offers and asked me if i still want to bid, i had to say no. I am sure the area is changing a lot and lots of people investing there like it is gold. My personal feeling was i would be living there and didn't have the money for unexpected assessments and legal feels which the building would accumulate to get their due maintenance back. It also meant that the HOA was so careless that they let the situation get to this level and these people would be my neighbours. If i lived abroad and just collected rent it could work but to be there day to day, it would be tough in such a small building. Also i thought if i wanted to sell and get out, i would still have to sell it for a cash buyer, possibly an investor and it would again be a low price tag (whether there is a bidding war or not) so my appreciation would be very little. There are other buildings in that area with more solid financials that would get conventional loans and similar units in those buildings sell for 50-60 k more.

Last edited by margharita23; 07-30-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey