Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:42 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

The one I drive on the most is route 22, where is it? Should be #1 worst highway not only in NJ but in America.
Since I'm from PA I haven't driven on quite a few of these roads, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:40 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Not the roads so as it is much the traffic.

Combined with poor engineering and design, maintenance and horrible, horrible sinage, the traffic is a work around to those problems.

Poor urban planning that drives people out of cities into the 'suburbs', where most don't want to be, causes such a mess.

Mysteriously, the entrance ramp to 287S off Hamilton blvd, causes all the traffic to back up to almost river road in late afternoon. Everyday! When the traffic flow opens up a couple of miles down from the entrance, no reason for the stalled line of traffic can be seen!

Rt 31, formerly rt 69, is solid traffic going north late in the afternoon, traffic heading south at the same time is very light.

Wish the, '1hour from NYC wannabes', that see NJ only as a bedroom, would consider moving out of state to reduce traffic.

The interstates were designed for high speed and quick deployment of military forces long distances. Every time a new exit and entrance ramp is added, puddles of excessive development leak from the mainstream to enhance traffic problems. An E&E every few miles defeats the purpose of the interstates and turns them into urban escape routes.

Redevelopment of major cities is large part of the solution to reducing traffic..

Roads are the problem, guns are the problem, not enough money is the problem..... that attitude guarantees a solution will never be achieved.

NJ uses a 'how to book' published in 1902, that lists a whole range of problems and corresponding solutions. Unfortunately the instructions require the same 'solution', money, be applied over and over again despite consistent failure to solve the problem. An asterisk at the bottom of the page notes....the problem won't be solved but at least you'll feel good trying and the money lost will validate your sincerity. After all who would throw good money after bad?

Old 07-30-2018, 11:44 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Route 22 east on I-287 is bad, but it's actually quite pleasant going west so it averages out in my book.

I thought about the Turnpike. The reason it isn't on either list for me is because while it is poorly planned out, the road surface conditions are quite good.
Rt. 206 south of Bordentown isn't that bad. The only real problem there is the traffic circle at Rt. 70 during evening rush hours and summer weekends. Does it still count?

Old 07-30-2018, 02:48 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
You actually get out? And drive places?

Old 07-30-2018, 02:50 PM

668 posts, read 470,247 times
Route 29, up towards Titusville and north... right along the river, gorgeous...

Attached Thumbnails
Top 10 best & worst NJ highways-capture.jpg  

Old 07-30-2018, 03:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Most NJ roads are tolerable on Sundays, it's only when entitled Nyers and slowpokes that doesn't know how to merge onto highways ruins everything.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:51 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
I've found Rt 22 to have been awful all over. Sure it's less congested out west, but it still has some headscratching merges and median U-turns. And every other morning it seems like there's an accident out by Clinton. 206 has great scenery, but annoying habit of going down to one lane randomly, which leads to a lot of congestion in Somerset and Morris counties.

Rt. 17 is IMO the worst. A limited-access road with few traffic lights shouldn't also have strip malls and developments throughout. Also at least one of the Rt. 38, Rt. 70, Rt. 73 cluster in Camden County should be among the worst. Horrible traffic, not much in the way of scenery.

Agreed with 39, 31, 202, and 94 being among the best. I've never really had an issue with 195 either. And I'll defend the Turnpike. I like that it only has a few exits, is generally pretty wide, and gives you the option of segregating yourself from trucks. Granted, I only really ever drive it from Exit 9 and below.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:28 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
I can't stand Route 46. Way too much variation in speed with people merging in and out from shopping centers. A close second worst would be Route 1, particularly from Woodbridge through Edison.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:50 AM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
A close second worst would be Route 1, particularly from Woodbridge through Edison.
Another close second would be Route 18, from its intersection with Route 1 to Tice's Lane. Admittedly, this is only a stretch of a couple of miles, but it is one of the worst stretches of road in NJ when it comes to congestion.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:33 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
What about 24? It's basically designed to have horrible backups on both the west and east ends.

Luckily, living in Summit, I can only experience the last 300 feet of the backup before it merges with I-78.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey