Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 04:37 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times

Advertisements

I feel that NJ is a state where not too many transplants exist. Most adults who live in NJ tend to be natives. I feel that NJ is like Florida where it's made up of so many old people except most of the old people in NJ are natives, while in Florida most of them are transplants from NJ or the North. NJ has so many retirement homes within shortish distances of each other. I am actually shocked that NJ's public transportation is filled with young adults and some middle aged people. I barely see senior citizens on NJ's public transportation.

I feel that most of NJ is overpopulated due to the amount of Baby Boomers who were born, grown here, and lived their entire lives here. Everywhere I go in NJ it's annoying. They always stare at your car when you go into a parking lot, I always have to park far from stores, because they're always walking when I am trying leave a parking lot. A lot of NJ's Baby Boomers seem babaric in behavior too. I worked at West Caldwell's ShopRite where tons of them shop and it's depressing when you barely see a young community. It's depressing and most of them were a pain to deal with as customers (not because of age, but because generational characteristics). I went to the post office today and I saw an old man on a cane walking very slowly to the Florham Park post office. He was getting somewhat close to the door, but I just walked past him instead of holding the door for him, because I am just so fed up of how many Boomers live in NJ and how they take over every strip mall and take over every piece of population within in a given area. But i feel so terrible i did that **** though. I can't even back up my car peacefully or park somewhere without these Boomers death staring at me or my car. Most of them in NJ can't drive well and they are the ones who end up crashing their car into stores. I miss green lights, because most of them take over NJ and drive too slow. This ain't the pace of Florida.

I feel that most of NJ lacks young people (which depresses me), and I only see them in areas like Morristown or areas like Dover and westward and urban parts of East Jersey. I love how NJ has great ethnic diversity, but I feel that NJ doesn't suit my preference of age demographics. Most Millennials who were born and grown in NJ want to live here forever (and most of us Millennials live with our parents till we are 30, because NJ is damn expensive), so it's going to be the same thing when we are old. I don't plan on living on NJ forever anyways, but does the West of the US have more young people (Millennials)?

The West has more transplants from what I've heard. The West in general and the scenery of the West makes me feel young and alive. I want to move somewhere out West where I can feel young and alive.

I have noticed that a lot of people my parents' age (latter 50s) or slightly older have been selling their homes in NJ and either downsizing to a smaller NJ home, moving to a NJ townhouse, or moving out of state. The population of New Jerseyans in my parents' age group will decrease after most of them retire.

Last edited by moshywilly; 07-31-2018 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 04:46 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I want to move somewhere out West where I can feel young and alive.
I think that I echo the sentiments of many other NJ residents when I urge you to leave the state a.s.a.p., so that you can achieve eternal happiness in The Golden West. Just be sure to bring your asbestos clothing.

Have you considered a Go Fund Me page in order to be able to accelerate your departure?

Old 07-31-2018, 04:50 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
need the driverless car and more nj transit

Old 07-31-2018, 04:59 PM

378 posts, read 586,463 times
If NJ had fewer older folks, the whole school funding scheme would collapse under its own weight. Do you think all those soccer moms could afford the taxes for the services they demand from the school system?

We childless Boomers are paying for their kids educations.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:05 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
You walked past and wouldn’t hold the door for a man slowly walking with a cane?!? His only “problems” were that he was elderly and slow? That is completely clucked up...

As someone smack-dab in the middle of Gen X, I personally think a mindset change hit people sometime mid-Boomer generation. Overall, I think the under 60 crowd is more selfish and narcissistic than the older Boomers, Silent Generation, and few Greatest Generation people who are left. I think that under 60 crowd can be subdivided even further into an under 45 crowd that is even more irritating.

I don’t know why... lack of a major war/draft, Reagan, video games, who knows? But I clearly see a difference in behavior and attitudes. And while older people can be annoying at times, overall I’d usually rather hang out with one of them than a spoiled brat 18-year-old who got a $100,000 car from his/her parents the second they turned 17. Yes, it annoys me that many older people still think that gas costs $.29 a gallon and yet they always miraculously figure out that the house they bought for $40,000 in 1971 is now worth $850,000, pricing many millennials out of the market, but at least most of these people learned the words “please” and “thank you”.

I’m Gen X, but my parents were older Silent Generation members. I’m grateful for that, because I truly believe I received values from them that I wouldn’t have received had they been 15-20 years younger.

Now, I’m about to make some popcorn...

Old 07-31-2018, 05:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Obviously you don't live in my town, which people have moved to from all over the country in recent years. Either directly from other states or from other states by way of NYC first.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Most of the boomers are retiring here in order to help out their underachieving millennial kids. It's an expensive why would anyone be foolish enough to retire here unless they've got strings attached.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:05 PM

510 posts, read 499,836 times
I've been telling my in-laws to move out of the state for YEARS. They still won't listen to me.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Looks like someone is off their meds.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:54 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
If you're taking a Dale Carnegie course, you are failing miserably.

Do you have no idea how many regular posters on this forum are "Baby Boomers", people between the ages of 72 and 54?

We're not all wandering aimlessly through parking lots or living in retirement communities, and many of us have been taking public transportation for years and continue to do so.

What is it about your car that makes you think someone is staring at it? People in general don't stare at cars. Could it be the missing muffler or the cardboard-and-duct-tape rear passenger door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey