Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:04 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yCf View Post
Moving from East Brunswick to Manalapan.
well congrats on your move : ) I am looking into what it will take for us to get into Mold Remediation by the way... that's a ton of money! I barely get that for an oil tank spill cleanup which is much more involved!!! I'll let you know how it goes ; ))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 AM

874 posts, read 3,678,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLCNJ View Post
i am having a mold problem in a rented apartment in Old Bridge. Black mold is coming from my storage room into my kitchen. I have tried for 2 years without success to get my landlord to rectify thi ssituation and it is beginning to cause health problems, sinus infections, etc. Can anyone advise who I can call for help with this ???
I had the same dillemma. As a result of the mold, I now have Sarcoidosis (lung disease). You need to contact the Board of Health immediately. Look in the yellow pages for the info and they will send an inspector out asap! If there is mold the Board of Health manager will send your landlord a letter to get rid of the mold by a certain time. If he doesnt, they will serve him a summons. I'm not sure where you are from but in New Jersey you are able to withhold the rent or use the rent to have someone strip the mold. This could be a major lawsuit. If I only knew then what I know now..I'd sue that bastard for every red cent.

Mold is hazardous to your health..be diligent!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 AM
yCf

106 posts, read 533,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
well congrats on your move : ) I am looking into what it will take for us to get into Mold Remediation by the way... that's a ton of money! I barely get that for an oil tank spill cleanup which is much more involved!!! I'll let you know how it goes ; ))
haha... if I need mold remediation service in the future, can I get discount from you?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yCf View Post
Moving from East Brunswick to Manalapan.
Boy am I late in response to this thread!! But congratulations on your move and I wish you all the best of luck!

Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 AM

5 posts, read 17,160 times
Dear TrishP7,

I called the Board of Health in Old Bridge and they said they do not inspect for mold- but I could hire my own inspector. I witheld the rent last year and got an evcition notice and had to pay attorney fees because i wasn't able to move out just yet. Now I am moving at the end of the lease- they finally agreed to give me another apartment where mold is not present. Haven't found a better deal anywhere else yet so may take that offer. I am paying $944 including heat for a one bedroom in Old Bridge. I have a cat and there is a nice pool in the complex. My main health concerns have only been repeated sinus infections, Thank God. Thanks to eveyrone for your responses !

Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I don't understand why either...did you low ball an offer? Are you getting the house for alot less than asking price? Perhaps they are just being difficult becasue they fell that are giving you a bargain? Well if all else fails, get some quotes from mold remediation contractors and deduct it from the sale of the house or have it put inot escrow and hire them yourself to clean it up...
Right on again, maybe they felt you got a bargain???

Old 04-20-2008, 05:26 AM

2 posts, read 9,269 times
Default call

Quote:
i am having a mold problem in a rented apartment in Old Bridge. Black mold is coming from my storage room into my kitchen. I have tried for 2 years without success to get my landlord to rectify thi ssituation and it is beginning to cause health problems, sinus infections, etc. Can anyone advise who I can call for help with this ???

Call the local board of health officer call the county board of health and call the state board of health some kinds of mold can cause long term health problems. the black mold sounds like a water leak problem. send your apt manager a registered letter advising them of the problem so if need be you have something to show you have addressed the issue with them and they have not taken action. Dont wait.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Dear TrishP7,

I called the Board of Health in Old Bridge and they said they do not inspect for mold- but I could hire my own inspector. I witheld the rent last year and got an evcition notice and had to pay attorney fees because i wasn't able to move out just yet. Now I am moving at the end of the lease- they finally agreed to give me another apartment where mold is not present. Haven't found a better deal anywhere else yet so may take that offer. I am paying $944 including heat for a one bedroom in Old Bridge. I have a cat and there is a nice pool in the complex. My main health concerns have only been repeated sinus infections, Thank God. Thanks to eveyrone for your responses !
Attorney Fees? I'm so sorry you went through all that. But if you sent your landlord certified mail regarding the issues and what you intended on doing..with holding the rent..that wouldnt have happened. It is his property..therefore, it is his responsibility. You are living in unhealthy conditions..read this..LSNJLAW - G: Chapter 6: Your Right to Safe and Decent Housing
Was the mold visible?

Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
Attorney Fees? I'm so sorry you went through all that. But if you sent your landlord certified mail regarding the issues and what you intended on doing..with holding the rent..that wouldnt have happened. It is his property..therefore, it is his responsibility. You are living in unhealthy conditions..read this..LSNJLAW - G: Chapter 6: Your Right to Safe and Decent Housing
Was the mold visible?
Interesting. I was under the impression from another post that you can not withhold rent but I see from the link you left that you can. Good reading there. Thanks for the link.

To the poster: see Using the rent to make repairs: repair and deduct

Quote:
How to get your landlord to make repairs

The law gives you several ways to assert your right as a tenant to safe and decent housing and to make your landlord repair defective conditions in your rental unit. You have the legal right to:

Call in the building or health inspector,
Use your rent to make repairs,
Withhold your rent, and

Take legal action.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Interesting. I was under the impression from another post that you can not withhold rent but I see from the link you left that you can. Good reading there. Thanks for the link.

To the poster: see Using the rent to make repairs: repair and deduct
Youre welcome. I had to do my research because my landlord was a complete dirt bag. Once I educated myself..i contacted a building and health inspector and took care of his business. unfortunately, during the interim..i got very ill and was contaminated with this disease (Sarcoids). In either case, I'm always willing to share as much knowledge as possible. Especially when one is trying to get over on another. Its just wrong how some of these landlords treat their tenants..dead wrong. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey