Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:24 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I think one of the priorities of state government should be to do more to improve our roads and bridges.
I think so too, but did raising the gas tax help any? Everyone is so against taxes going up, and they join these NIMBY special interest groups that they don't want an interstate highway passing through their town, then complain about how horrible the traffic is and their 2+ hour commute each way. Bleah! You disgust me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Some pharma is leaving and our leaders in Trenton should do more to create an enviornment where that doesn't happen. It isn't through special interest subsidies, it's through creating a better tax and regulatory climate, improving our infrastructure, and ensuring our schools continue to be some of the best in the nation.
Schools are fine, infrastructure is fine.

Taxes are too high

Old 08-17-2018, 04:33 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
I think so too, but did raising the gas tax help any? Everyone is so against taxes going up, and they join these NIMBY special interest groups that they don't want an interstate highway passing through their town, then complain about how horrible the traffic is and their 2+ hour commute each way. Bleah! You disgust me!
Those NIMBY towns you're so quick to be disgusted by are a big part of NJ's tax base. Sure, you could put interstates all over NJ, but if you do, those residents are going to leave. So... businesses leave due to the higher corporate tax rate and regulations, wealthy residents leave, then what? You have a bunch of lower income earners and nothing else. Good luck with that.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
As long as Philly, and NYC are still viable cities, NJ will always be there garden.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
As long as Philly, and NYC are still viable cities, NJ will always be there garden.
Substitute "garden" with "go-between" and your assessment is accurate.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Those NIMBY towns you're so quick to be disgusted by are a big part of NJ's tax base. Sure, you could put interstates all over NJ, but if you do, those residents are going to leave. So... businesses leave due to the higher corporate tax rate and regulations, wealthy residents leave, then what? You have a bunch of lower income earners and nothing else. Good luck with that.
So you spend time living between NJ and PA as well? What is your commute like? I wonder.

Three most important rules in real estate: location, location and location. If your house is conveniently located to highways and amenities, the value goes UP, not down. This is exactly what another person was saying. If one of the train tunnels fails, which there are numerous articles about already on how rough shape they are in after Sandy flooded them out and the interior walls are being corroded, it will impact the commute severely, causing real estate value to drop.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:28 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
So you spend time living between NJ and PA as well? What is your commute like? I wonder.

Three most important rules in real estate: location, location and location. If your house is conveniently located to highways and amenities, the value goes UP, not down. This is exactly what another person was saying. If one of the train tunnels fails, which there are numerous articles about already on how rough shape they are in after Sandy flooded them out and the interior walls are being corroded, it will impact the commute severely, causing real estate value to drop.
The commute sucks, but it's worth it to have a nice, quiet town with no interstate running through it. I also drive two or three times a week up to Morristown for work. That sucks as well, and I have to leave extra time to get through the Great Swamp, in case there's a work truck in front of me. Should we put a big roadway there? Of course not.

NJ already has the highest population per square mile. It's okay if we don't make it worse by putting in even more roadways. Now, maintaining those roads is another story.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
I live in West Orange, we've already got an Interstate highway going through town. Your town's turn.

And no, the gas tax increase didn't help. Gas sales went down so now a previously-unreported section of the bill apparently means they get to raise it again without even passing a new law. Automatic increases!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:23 PM

856 posts, read 704,691 times
Quote:
Personally, I was against the gas tax increase because I didn't feel it would solve the underlying problems associated with funding for infrastructure. I have always believed that government should cut spending in other areas to prioritize infrastructure improvements, not increase taxes. I also think we should abolish the Transportation Trust Fund and instead fund infrastructure projects from general fund revenue to stop masking the true cost of said projects. One thing I agree with Governor Murphy on is, he ordered an audit of the New Jersey Department of Transportation. There's a reason we spend more on fixing a mile of road ($2 million) than any state in the nation. I also think we have to address Project Labor Agreements, which can add anywhere from 15%-45% to the cost of infrastructure projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Schools are fine, infrastructure is fine.

Taxes are too high
https://www.infrastructurereportcard...em/new-jersey/

According to the American Society of Civil Engineers, New Jersey's infrastructure earns a D+ grade. While our roads did earn a slightly better grade than the nation as a whole, our bridges, railroads, and ports received lower grades than that of the nation.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I live in West Orange, we've already got an Interstate highway going through town. Your town's turn.

And no, the gas tax increase didn't help. Gas sales went down so now a previously-unreported section of the bill apparently means they get to raise it again without even passing a new law. Automatic increases!
I live in PA now, and have two interstates within five minutes of my door, 95 (and now what has been rerouted as 295) and 276 aka PA Turnpike. Still waiting for the two to be directly connected, though they said the interchange is supposed to open next month. They are working on it. But PennDOT is a whole different beast from NJDOT, and they have their own set of problems.

Towns like West Orange and areas up and down the corridor in Bergen, Passaic, Hudson, Union and Middlesex Counties are pretty conveniently located to highways. I was talking more of the originally planned 95 corridor and towns like Hillsborough and Montgomery fought tooth and nail 60 years ago to keep it from going through their towns which is why it remains concurrent with the NJ Turnpike north of exit 6. Nobody chooses to live in that area today if they commute to the city. 206 is also a 2 lane road (one each way) most of the way through that area too. And tell me why 278 ends at 1&9 in Elizabeth and never meets up with 78 in Springfield like it was originally supposed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey