U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 27,856 times

Advertisements

I've looked through some of the other posts on this topic, but they all seem to circle my very specific question.

I'm coming out of Rutgers with an Ed.M in English Education. What would be a good salary to negotiate for in an urban/Abbott district in my first year teaching?

In general, what's a good salary for a Masters degree in the first year teaching around NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 03:14 PM

687 posts, read 2,967,245 times
With an Ed. M in English Ed., you probably will not be able to negotiate a higher step. (Science and foreign language majors are routinely able to negotiate higher steps). Basically, whatever the district's salary guide says a first year teacher with a Master's will make is what they'll offer. It also varies wildly from district to district in terms of how much higher your salary will be because of the master's. In my former district, the difference between a BA and MA was minimal (like a couple thousand dollars), while in other districts the difference is more like $10k.

With the MA, I think you're looking at a starting salary right around 50k in most districts.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM

253 posts, read 1,161,289 times
In an Abbott District? 50k? I hope not.

The abbott districts get all the funding they need teachers and they need them to stay. And forget about if it's a charter school. I think she can negotiate a lot higher than 50k.

I'm going to investigate.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM

I definitely could be mistaken, but when I was interviewing (in 2001, granted), I got an offer in an Abbott district and the difference was minimal. I was also an English teacher.

Edited to add for the OP, look at the NJ school report card (you can go via NJ.com), and you'll see the average salary for each district coupled with the average years of experience for teachers. In Newark, for example, the average salary is around 70k, but the teachers average 14 years of experience, so you can kind of estimate down from that what you might expect salary-wise. Good luck!

Last edited by juliann1977; 04-01-2008 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,459,345 times
The salary for an MA definitely differs from district - to - district. I'm in an Abbott District and although I've been here 3 years and I don't have a clue where my contract is I know the difference for a Masters is not that great. On the other hand the starting salary in my district was higher than in other Abbott Districts but other districts had bigger yearly increases so after 10 years you do better in another district. (and the starting salary for a 1st year teach with a BA in my district was about $48K last year)

There are a lot of variables that are strictly dependent on the negotiated contract.

BTW...and for your sake I hope I'm wrong, it can be difficult to get a teaching position - it is much more competitive than people realize... and I had no idea you could negotiate a teaching salary.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

52 posts, read 210,277 times
It's very difficult to negotiate a teaching salary, and I would only try it with math or science, even in an urban district. I know that Newark was offering $43 with a masters a few years ago, but that easily could have changed.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I don't have a clue where my contract is I know the difference for a Masters is not that great.
Yes, and in some districts an MA is a hindrance, as some don't want to pay the extra money, especially if it is a large jump.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:12 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,774,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
Yes, and in some districts an MA is a hindrance, as some don't want to pay the extra money, especially if it is a large jump.
yes, my SIL's DH's daughter (relation is a long story, LOL) has an MA and was only able to find a permanent position after subbing during a maternity leave. she applied all over - and it was solely b/c they didn't want to pay her an MA salary.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 42,596 times
I have copies of teacher contracts from all over the state as I am finishing my M.Ed. this year and am ready to move from private to public schools (getting married and would like to raise my kids in something other than a cardboard box).

In north jersey your going to be making about 45-48k starting. Many places up there start teachers around 42-45 w/o a masters degree, so you can see the jump isn't that great. BUT, since it's 3-10k difference over every year for the next 20 years expect it to add up to a significant amount of money (and don't forget compounding interest!).

Also, don't expect to negotiate anything looking for an position as an english teacher. Districts get hundreds of applications for positions like that. Wear a suit and a smile. Truly only math and foreign language teachers are in short supply (and physics/physical sciences to a lesser extant). I am a Biology and Genetics teacher and I expect to be competing with 40-100 applicants for a position next year. Way too many people get a Bio degree cause they like to pet cute fuzzy things in NJ, it seems.

Anyone know of a district in south jersey looking for a mind-boggingly brilliant bio/genetics teacher? (I'm also an auto-didact and can now functionally teach economics! Did I mention I'm in Mensa?) Anyone? Anyone?

Last edited by pipeline010; 04-02-2008 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 AM

253 posts, read 1,161,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeline010 View Post
I have copies of teacher contracts from all over the state as I am finishing my M.Ed. this year and am ready to move from private to public schools (getting married and would like to raise my kids in something other than a cardboard box).

In north jersey your going to be making, as said, about 50-53k starting. Many places up there start teachers around 42-45 w/o a masters degree, so you can see the jump isn't that great. BUT, since it's 3-10k difference over every year for the next 20 years expect it to add up to a significant amount of money (and don't forget compounding interest!).

Also, don't expect to negotiate anything looking for an position as an english teacher. Districts get hundreds of applications for positions like that. Wear a suit and a smile. Truly only math and foreign language teachers are in short supply (and physics/physical sciences to a lesser extant). I am a Biology and Genetics teacher and I expect to be competing with 40-100 applicants for a position next year. Way too many people get a Bio degree cause they like to pet cute fuzzy things in NJ, it seems.

Anyone know of a district in south jersey looking for a mind-boggingly brilliant bio/genetics teacher? (I'm also an auto-didact and can now functionally teach economics! Did I mention I'm in Mensa?) Anyone? Anyone?

This is sick. Something has to be done. Teachers and Social Workers are the two professions that are needed the most and are paid the least. The work involved in being a teacher is magnificent and I cannot comprehend how the system can even offer a teacher $42,000 and they go over and beyond sometimes spending 8-9 hours with the children. That's a starting salary for secretaries for heaven's sake - no college required. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey