U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 11:46 PM

34 posts, read 118,041 times

Advertisements

any thoughts on West Orange? I personally dont care for clubbing in NYC lol.. I live in Queens and only go to Manhattan to work. Id rather much have a bbq in my backyard with a cooler and invite the whole block over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:48 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,101,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchFrost View Post
any thoughts on West Orange? I personally dont care for clubbing in NYC lol.. I live in Queens and only go to Manhattan to work. Id rather much have a bbq in my backyard with a cooler and invite the whole block over.
I have friends that live in South Orange. It's a nice area, good downtown and has the train to Manhattan. Don't know much about West Orange.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:00 AM

50,990 posts, read 50,299,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchFrost View Post
West Orange is considered a nice place to live. (East Orange is NOT.) It seems to be the type of place where you could invite the block over.

There is a regular poster on this forum who lives in West Orange, IIRC, and I can't think of who it is. Do a search on West Orange in this forum and you will find some info.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:10 PM

17 posts, read 9,097 times
If you plan to socialize in NYC, Hoboken is your only option. The 126 bus runs from Port Authority to Hoboken Terminal or the PATH train, but late at night both are infrequent and if you do board the PATH at 33rd St late at night, expect to be sitting on a full train for a while before it moves.

Most of the time you will end up having to order a $50 Uber unless you plan on waiting forever to get home, especially from the bus terminal.

$1500-$2000 wont get your own place in Hoboken, you'd need to share and you'd want to be as close to Washington St (where the bus runs) and the PATH station, as possible for getting home otherwise thats another Uber or long walk. Also expect to pay parking in the range of 200-300 a month unless you fight for street parking. Street parking in Hoboken is a nightmare at the best of times. Finally you'd be paying for an extra monthly pass for either PATH or bus on top of subway.

If I were you i'd stay in NYC if you will be doing all your hanging out there. Weigh up the cost of NYC vs everything I mentioned above and think about whether you are making the right choice.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:28 AM

200 posts, read 100,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaBlue View Post
If you plan to socialize in NYC, Hoboken is your only option. The 126 bus runs from Port Authority to Hoboken Terminal or the PATH train, but late at night both are infrequent and if you do board the PATH at 33rd St late at night, expect to be sitting on a full train for a while before it moves.

Most of the time you will end up having to order a $50 Uber unless you plan on waiting forever to get home, especially from the bus terminal.

$1500-$2000 wont get your own place in Hoboken, you'd need to share and you'd want to be as close to Washington St (where the bus runs) and the PATH station, as possible for getting home otherwise thats another Uber or long walk. Also expect to pay parking in the range of 200-300 a month unless you fight for street parking. Street parking in Hoboken is a nightmare at the best of times. Finally you'd be paying for an extra monthly pass for either PATH or bus on top of subway.

If I were you i'd stay in NYC if you will be doing all your hanging out there. Weigh up the cost of NYC vs everything I mentioned above and think about whether you are making the right choice.
OP, this is the only comment that makes sense. Sorry for all the other garbage people were posting about living in PA or further into NJ. It doesn't make sense. The person above wrote exactly what I would write as someone who lived in Hoboken and now lives further into NJ.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 4,459 times
Hoboken is a good area to be in. Just near the train station and a safe area in general.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:53 AM

1,928 posts, read 1,028,232 times
Not sure where the OP lives now but she should move to Queens or Brooklyn within a 15 minutes walk to subway. I doubt that he/she will save a lot of money by moving to the NJ areas that are close to Manhattan. And subway runs 24 hours although of course it is now having problems of its own. But I doubt it is much worse then PATH or NJT.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:55 PM

2,756 posts, read 1,799,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz__barb View Post
**I SOCIALIZE MOSTLY IN NYC SO IDC MUCH FOR THE PARTY LIFE IN NJ**
STAY WITHIN A METROCARD RIDE OF WHERE YOU PARTY.

That's the best advice anyone's going to give you on this. There's no point moving somewhere to save $300 on rent and then spend $300 on a train pass and Metrocard.

Get a roommate, scale down your expectations, check out the Bronx, whatever, but if you're socializing in NYC then simply stay within the five Boroughs, you're not saving anything moving to Jersey City or Hoboken.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:40 AM

2,306 posts, read 4,800,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
STAY WITHIN A METROCARD RIDE OF WHERE YOU PARTY.

That's the best advice anyone's going to give you on this. There's no point moving somewhere to save $300 on rent and then spend $300 on a train pass and Metrocard.

Get a roommate, scale down your expectations, check out the Bronx, whatever, but if you're socializing in NYC then simply stay within the five Boroughs, you're not saving anything moving to Jersey City or Hoboken.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:13 AM

590 posts, read 347,455 times
Go to Hoboken, find a nice place looking for roommates in same age category. Move to suburbs when you get married and have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or