Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 06:18 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't mind swimming at my own risk because I have my doubts that those spindly little college kids who sit in the big chairs could or would save me in the water if I was in trouble anyway. I'm a 60-year-old woman. I'm invisible to kids that age.

I rarely have anyone to go to the beach with, so it's occurred to me that if I ever drown, no one is going to realize it until they find my towel and chair and phone sitting there at the end of the day. Or the Long Branch cops come around to put a ticket on my car for not paying for parking and realize that there are already three of them, lol.

Of course, now that I'm this age and don't get up as quickly if I get knocked down by a wave, I'm more careful to begin with. I always loved loved loved swimming in the ocean and playing in the waves, but now I'm gotten more cautious (and hopefully smarter) and won't go in if the water is rough.
I was (nearly) fearless for decades. After having a difficult time getting back to shore on more than one occasion when I got older, I started to be more careful. I love the days when the waves roll in with no white caps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 07:19 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I was (nearly) fearless for decades. After having a difficult time getting back to shore on more than one occasion when I got older, I started to be more careful. I love the days when the waves roll in with no white caps.
Three years ago this week, my mother had a quad bypass and started kidney dialysis at the same time. I was at the hospital in Ridgewood with her for a week because I was the sibling most able to do so. I was talking to the doctors and nurses and reporting to family and sitting by my mother's side. She was high risk because of her age and we weren't sure she would survive.

At the end of the week, two other sisters told me to go home and spend Labor Day at the beach. I did. The water was rolling gently with good-sized waves and no white caps.

I stayed there all day long, coming out just to rest a bit or eat something, then go back in the water. It was heavenly. I will remember that day at the beach forever.

Three years later and Mom's still around. She'll be 90 in November. Drives herself to dialysis three days a week.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What I'm saying is it could be their job. Obviously now it isn't their job. I proposed making it their job. Like I said, they will respond to the beach anyway for any emergency. They will go into the water if necessary. Part of their job is already to protect and patrol the beaches, just not in an official lifeguard capacity but that could change if they wanted it to.

I didn't say "in the fall." I said in September, which is technically the summer through the third week. Everyone acts like fall begins when September and school hits, and they bring out all the pumpkins, but does it feel like fall yet? Have the leaves begun to change significantly if at all? The premise of this thread is that September is arguably the best month to go to the beach because it is still warm and the water has warmed up by now. I simply proposed a solution to the lack of lifeguards problem. There is no logical reason we should suddenly have to swim at our own risk once September hits, once Labor Day ends. The weather doesn't suddenly drastically change overnight, it is still summer and it still feels like summer, and beach towns can and do still make revenue.

I can swim but I don't think I am more powerful than the ocean.
It comes down to money.

No more tourists, mean it is not cost effective to pay for lifeguards. It certainly isn't cost effective to pay for police to do it, and in most beach town firefighters are volunteers.

It is begging for a lawsuit for almost no benefit.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:10 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
I did a drive from Spring Lake to Asbury Park today and even on a cloudy day like this, with HUGE signs posted saying NO Lifeguard on Duty, there were a ton of grownups and kids in the water . Safety in numbers is always a good bet. Can't say that when the crowds start to thin out though.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It is begging for a lawsuit for almost no benefit.
What about personal responsibility?

Old 09-10-2018, 02:50 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Three years ago this week, my mother had a quad bypass and started kidney dialysis at the same time. I was at the hospital in Ridgewood with her for a week because I was the sibling most able to do so. I was talking to the doctors and nurses and reporting to family and sitting by my mother's side. She was high risk because of her age and we weren't sure she would survive.

At the end of the week, two other sisters told me to go home and spend Labor Day at the beach. I did. The water was rolling gently with good-sized waves and no white caps.

I stayed there all day long, coming out just to rest a bit or eat something, then go back in the water. It was heavenly. I will remember that day at the beach forever.

Three years later and Mom's still around. She'll be 90 in November. Drives herself to dialysis three days a week.
Bless her! Mine is 93 a little problem walking(walker and she refuse's a hearing aid) but everything else is working well!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:41 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Bless her! Mine is 93 a little problem walking(walker and she refuses a hearing aid) but everything else is working well!
Mine is the same! She recently went from a cane to a walker, but she also refuses to get a hearing aid because none of her friends like theirs. Besides, she can "only not hear certain tones". That used to be true, but now she is much worse and doesn't realize it.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:15 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Mine is the same! She recently went from a cane to a walker, but she also refuses to get a hearing aid because none of her friends like theirs. Besides, she can "only not hear certain tones". That used to be true, but now she is much worse and doesn't realize it.
LOL, everytime I walk into the house I have to turn down the TV.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
I don't mind swimming at my own risk because I have my doubts that those spindly little college kids who sit in the big chairs could or would save me in the water if I was in trouble anyway. I'm a 60-year-old woman. I'm invisible to kids that age.

I rarely have anyone to go to the beach with, so it's occurred to me that if I ever drown, no one is going to realize it until they find my towel and chair and phone sitting there at the end of the day. Or the Long Branch cops come around to put a ticket on my car for not paying for parking and realize that there are already three of them, lol.

Of course, now that I'm this age and don't get up as quickly if I get knocked down by a wave, I'm more careful to begin with. I always loved loved loved swimming in the ocean and playing in the waves, but now I'm gotten more cautious (and hopefully smarter) and won't go in if the water is rough.
Have you ever been to Sea Bright? I joke with myself that if I'm ever going to have trouble in the water I hope I do it at Sea Bright. They are AMAZING. This year someone's umbrella took off and a lifeguard appeared as if from nowhere to tackle it, midair. They train constantly and are shockingly vigilant and make eye contact even when talking to haggard old mothers like me. They're the best thing about that beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey