Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times

Advertisements

First of all, last time I checked, schools get a two full weeks for christian holidays, Christmas and Easter.

Second of all, what difference does it make, all schools are in session the same amount of days every year. If they don't get a Jewish holiday off in September, they get the day off at the end of the year. So why not allow your Jewish friends to enjoy a holiday without complaining. But if you're writing this, it's doubtful you have friends outside of your own race or religion. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:24 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
First of all, last time I checked, schools get a two full weeks for christian holidays, Christmas and Easter.
I think you're missing the point of this thread. This has nothing to do with liking or disliking a particular religion. The general consensus is that schools should not be closed for religious reasons, period. But just to respond to your statement, there are plenty of schools that have "spring break" which has nothing to do with Easter (which is always on a Sunday) and often does not even coincide with the Easter Holiday. As for Christmas, that is "winter break" and almost always coincides with Hannukah as well as Christmas, so don't ignore details to try and make a point.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:46 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I think you're missing the point of this thread. This has nothing to do with liking or disliking a particular religion. The general consensus is that schools should not be closed for religious reasons, period.
That's not really the general consensus. That is YOUR point. And it's a valid one. It seems a couple of atheists (or atheist-leaning) people have jumped in to make the same point as well...and that is all good. Truly.

However, that was not the intent or the spirit of the OP. The title of this thread is "New School Calendars full of Religious Holidays - but not the Christian ones"

This thread is then full of predictable, trademark City Data misinformation about how schools are dumping Christian holidays, and discriminating against Christianity ( being inclusive of other religions is not "discrimination against Christianity"). And then there are bunch of trash posts about "minority religions", which straight-up say that all "minority religious holidays" should be removed, including the Jewish ones, because if you give those uppity Jews an inch, the pesky "silly" Muslims and Hindus will start squawking as well (out of "jealousy", LMAO). Let's recap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I noticed that this year there are a ton of school closings across various districts for all kinds of strictly-religious holidays like Yom Kippur. At the same time, the schools are dumping strictly-religious holidays like Good Friday. I don't care about any of those holidays, but it looks to me like the public schools are discriminating in favor of a small minority of students/teachers. Has anyone else noticed this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Only 2% of the US population are Jewish; Christians and Jewish don’t celebrate each other’s holidays.
Quote:
ALL minority religious holidays should be removed.
Quote:
If you allow one minority religion then all others get jealous and wants to shovel their silly beliefs down in our throats. Hindus could go back to India if they want schools to be closed and Muslims back to the Middle East.
Quote:
Sorry but a person who worships a cow seriously is quite silly , or a person who believes their prophet flew to heaven on a winged horse
Quote:
It’s not about not being able to have excused absence, it’s about those minorities wanting to shovel their faith down in our throats and to say “See America recognizes Muslim and Jewish holidays” which is a victory for especially Muslims controlling and taking over the West.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
But just to respond to your statement, there are plenty of schools that have "spring break" which has nothing to do with Easter (which is always on a Sunday) and often does not even coincide with the Easter Holiday. As for Christmas, that is "winter break" and almost always coincides with Hannukah as well as Christmas, so don't ignore details to try and make a point.
OK, let's be real. "Winter Holiday", which straight-up used to be called "Christmas vacation", is always a week off to accommodate December 25/Christmas. It OCCASIONALLY coincides with Hannukah, but it more often does NOT. This year, Hannukah is Dec. 2-10. Last year, it was Dec. 12-20. Hannukah sometimes begins at the end of November. Spring Break is scheduled for the week that contains Good Friday (which leads into Easter)...it's not scheduled around Passover. The public schools I attended were in a town with a significant Jewish population, and that was still the case. Still is today.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They feel obligated to "save" you.

When I first started posting on R&S, some of the atheist posters complained about people always knocking on their doors to invite them to church, and asking "Where do you go to church?" as if they assume you DO go, and other intrusive things like that. I didn't believe them or thought they were exaggerating because that's not the way it is in New Jersey. I am sixty years old, and I can count on one hand the number of times even Jehovah's Witnesses have knocked on my door over the years.

But I came to understand that in some parts of this country, they can be very persistent about trying to recruit you.
In my last town, Jehovah's Witnesses came knocking a couple times a year, minimum. I was nice to them once, and the next time they came around, I happened to not be home and was out walking my dog...they found me a couple of streets over, and followed me in their car. When I told them I didn't have time because I was in a hurry, one of them got out of the car and tried to walk with me. Lady, I have a giant, steaming bag of dog feces in my hands...you have a Bible in yours. Maybe we should go our separate ways.

That's when I stopped answering the doorbell. Forever.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:18 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
New Jersey State Holidays are the only holidays that should be observed. Period. Teachers/Staff are state employees.
Good Friday and Christmas Day are State Holidays,,,, but that's because everyone everybody is Christian whether they realize it or not.

Federal and State Holidays of New Jersey, USA in 2018
Day Date Holiday Comments
Monday January 01 New Year's Day
Monday January 15 Martin Luther King Jr. Day 3rd Monday in January
Monday February 19 Presidents' Day 3rd Monday in February. Not all states
Friday March 30 Good Friday CT, DE, HI, IN, KY, LA, NJ, NC, ND, TN
Sunday May 13 Mother's Day 2nd Sunday in May. Not a public holiday
Monday May 28 Memorial Day Last Monday in May
Sunday June 17 Father's Day 3rd Sunday in June. Not a public holiday
Wednesday July 04 Independence Day
Monday September 03 Labor Day 1st Monday in September
Monday October 08 Columbus Day 2nd Monday in October
Monday November 12 Veterans Day Except Wisconsin
Thursday November 22 Thanksgiving 4th Thursday in November
Tuesday December 25 Christmas Day

Last edited by captne76; 09-10-2018 at 09:28 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 09:27 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
The anti antisemitism in this thread continues to be appalling. Full stop.
No antisemism here we love all our friends

Old 09-11-2018, 03:13 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
I think you're missing the point of this thread. This has nothing to do with liking or disliking a particular religion. The general consensus is that schools should not be closed for religious reasons, period. But just to respond to your statement, there are plenty of schools that have "spring break" which has nothing to do with Easter (which is always on a Sunday) and often does not even coincide with the Easter Holiday. As for Christmas, that is "winter break" and almost always coincides with Hannukah as well as Christmas, so don't ignore details to try and make a point.
No, now you're just making things up ,"The general consensus is that schools should not be closed for religious reasons, period." Please educate yourself ,I am embarrassed for you.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
I think you're missing the point of this thread. This has nothing to do with liking or disliking a particular religion. The general consensus is that schools should not be closed for religious reasons, period.

No. In the words of Moynihan, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Old 01-06-2021, 03:31 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I noticed that this year there are a ton of school closings across various districts for all kinds of strictly-religious holidays like Yom Kippur. At the same time, the schools are dumping strictly-religious holidays like Good Friday. I don't care about any of those holidays, but it looks to me like the public schools are discriminating in favor of a small minority of students/teachers. Has anyone else noticed this?

Here is a recent article on this nonsense:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...pur/752097002/
it was originally pushed because schools couldn't function due to lack of teachers

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/03/11/n...ard-urged.html
when they tried to get rid of it in 1986

Quote:
At some of the schools in my district, 82 percent of the staff has indicated they will be out,'' said Marylen Daly, president of Community School Board 26 in Queens. ''We have kids who are going to be running around wild without teacher supervision, and that is going to create a very dangerous situation.'' State Aid Is a Factor

Quote:
Philip Kaplan, chairman of the New York City School Boards Association, said a random survey by his group had indicated that somewhere between 40 percent and 60 percent of the city's teachers would be absent for Passover.
not sure if the public school make up of teachers today changes things enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey