U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Town Do You Favor?
Williamstown 3 42.86%
Sicklerville 0 0%
Vineland 1 14.29%
Maple Shade 0 0%
Delran 3 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 09:57 PM

1,549 posts, read 414,892 times

Advertisements

Well if youíve lived here before you know that a drive to Jersey City from the towns you listed is about 2 hours away. You might want to pull up the NJ transit map and see where the stations are. Amtrak is silly expensive . I live near Lawrenceville so Iím closest to the Hamilton station but also within 30 minutes of 3 other stations. And I go to NY all the time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 05:36 AM

691 posts, read 517,777 times
Delran is easily the best choice out of the five. I strongly recommend you drop the other four from consideration. Maple Shade is okay...itís just kind of blah. Sounds like both of you are white collar professional class people. Only Delran would suit you well. I would consider also taking a look at Burlington Twp, Bordentown, Florence, Mt. Laurel, and Cinnaminson.

Just note that if you want to be closer to PA, you cannot possibly be close to JC and NYC as well. I am sure I donít really need to tell you that, but yeah, you canít have it both ways. Just curious as to why you want to be near PA. Do you have family there?

Old 09-14-2018, 06:06 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The Philly suburbs in NJ are affordable and within your budget. I am not familiar with most of those towns, but Vineland is in the middle of nowhere and does not fit for you. All jobs eventually end, you should try not to be too far away from Philly and the NJ suburbs/population center so you have options if you eventually have to get a new job
That's why I didn't, don't, understand the list. Maple Shade and Delran are near Philly, they have sidewalks and Costco. Sicklerville and Williamstown are an interesting mix of suburban neighborhoods, ghetto areas, and farms. Vineland is only OK if you live in the eastern 'burbs. The town center is a total loss.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
I agree with not Vineland; wouldn't move to Sicklerville either. Williamstown has everything for shopping and we're fairly close to the Deptford mall; Philly isn't far either. There are brand new homes by the high school if the OP wants development names I can grab them. I'm in Willow Woods which is done building, very desirable place where for sale homes go very quick. We have a local realtor that lives here; she sells them fast; under 7 days. Taxes can be high depending on what you pay for the house if $400k you're looking about $13k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's why I didn't, don't, understand the list. Maple Shade and Delran are near Philly, they have sidewalks and Costco. Sicklerville and Williamstown are an interesting mix of suburban neighborhoods, ghetto areas, and farms. Vineland is only OK if you live in the eastern 'burbs. The town center is a total loss.
Williamstown is ghetto? Really? Do you live here?

Old 09-14-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I agree with not Vineland; wouldn't move to Sicklerville either. Williamstown has everything for shopping and we're fairly close to the Deptford mall; Philly isn't far either. There are brand new homes by the high school if the OP wants development names I can grab them. I'm in Willow Woods which is done building, very desirable place where for sale homes go very quick. We have a local realtor that lives here; she sells them fast; under 7 days. Taxes can be high depending on what you pay for the house if $400k you're looking about $13k.

Williamstown is ghetto? Really? Do you live here?
Williamstown isn't ghetto, but there are a couple of small housing areas that look like it. Giant bald spots in the lawn, and junk laying around the property looks nasty to me. It really stands out because the rest of the area looks good. My former neighbor taught middle school there. In the 1990s she told me that families from the troubled cities had moved there, and that there were problems with disruptive children in her classroom. By the mid 2000s, it had gotten worse.

Same thing with Sicklerville. One of our fellow C-D members grew up there in suburban wonderland. Her old neighborhood is now blighted and full of crime.

It can be a nice place to live if you pick the right area.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:33 PM

1,863 posts, read 428,365 times
If you move to Delran, say hello to my Uncle.

Oh wait.. I think that's Southampton. Used to live in Delran.

Not sure any of the towns posted are ghetto. Want ghetto? Move to the center of Newark, 13th st 12th St, S Orange Ave etc, Vailsburg park

Old 09-15-2018, 04:09 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
If you move to Delran, say hello to my Uncle.

Oh wait.. I think that's Southampton. Used to live in Delran.

Not sure any of the towns posted are ghetto. Want ghetto? Move to the center of Newark, 13th st 12th St, S Orange Ave etc, Vailsburg park
Southampton used to be very desirable when we moved in 2008; location is good too.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:18 AM

17,224 posts, read 14,812,677 times
It will all depend where you want to work. I live in Williamstown now, and work in health care. I cover buildings in Ocean View, Carney's Point and Vineland. The entire shore area including Galloway is open to me, as is Washington Twp and areas of Camden county....BUT I would not want to have to drive to Philly from here, although my bf does it every day. 42 is pretty bad in the mornings. He may take back roads for a lot of it, which there are many down here, but of course that adds time. Of course there is the option of the trains, which you can take from Hammonton or Atco, but that will add time, too.

Vineland would be a bit easier, as you can take 55, however the area where 55 merges into 42 can be nightmarish at rush hour.
Maple Shade is closest to Philly, but is going to be traffic-heavy all the time, where Williamstown and Vineland are more peaceful in general.

Sicklerville has gone downhill since I grew up there many moons ago. I like living in Williamstown, and most of my family has lived here for years. Yes, we have a few neighbors who have junk in their yard, but it's friendly and peaceful and there aren't any problems with crime.

If Phllly is where you want to be working however, I would look at towns on the Hi-Speedline route, such as Collingswood or Haddon Heights. To take a train from down here, you'd have to drive to Hammonton or Atco and take the AC line to the Lindenwold Hi-Speedline station. Doable, but time consuming. Of course it's more city-like in those areas vs country down here.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 PM

Maybe Berlin Township. I know that there are houses in your price range, there's plenty of shopping in the area, and it's fairly close to the Atco PATCO train station.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 PM

1,863 posts, read 428,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Southampton used to be very desirable when we moved in 2008; location is good too.

It still is! Unc remodeled his townhome and it's really, really nice in there.

Applebee's is closeby, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or