U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:54 PM

1,945 posts, read 1,038,167 times

Advertisements

I think many people moving away from NYC would like to live in a walkable town with an easy train commute if they can afford it. They would be able to still get more space/land than in the city and they still be able to walk somewhere and not to be always dependent on the car. But I think Red Bank is a bit too far to have a reasonable commute to the city even though it has a train stop...

My wife and I moved away from the city in 2010. Because of the Great Recession, we did not really want to take a huge loan to live in a town with a pretty Downtown. Our town has an ugly downtown street but it had plenty of stores and other businesses. And it is walkable to the train station, several play grounds and several stores. This was a good compromise for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 PM

2,766 posts, read 1,818,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am kind of surprised that you and one or two other people mentioned walkability as such an important factor. Don't get me wrong, I think walkability and having a nice little local downtown is nice but I think there are more important factors when moving to the suburbs for most people.
It's probably because towns with good walkability have solved all the things you mention. They usually already have good schools, a train station, things like that.

I mean, look at the towns that are always mentioned, Summit, Westfield, Maplewood, South Orange, they're all nice towns to start with.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM

1,863 posts, read 428,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
It's probably because towns with good walkability have solved all the things you mention. They usually already have good schools, a train station, things like that.

I mean, look at the towns that are always mentioned, Summit, Westfield, Maplewood, South Orange, they're all nice towns to start with.

None of those are in Central NJ

Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM

LINative and I are having a broader discussion.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:44 PM

6,810 posts, read 9,371,343 times
Quote:

Many walkable downtowns were built around the train stations, so yes I can see what you are saying to a point.

But my point is when someone first comes out to New Jersey suburbs (or Long Island or the Hudson Valley/Connecticut suburbs) from the City, it will often be because they have a family. Their main priorities are more likely to be good schools and a train station to get back to Manhattan to work. They will want if possible, a dreamhouse, with a nice kitchen, living room and dining room, a separate den, bedrooms and a nice yard for the kids.

A local walkable downtown will be much further down the list.

Now for singles that might be different. But I would think a lot of single people would be more into Hudson County then say moving further out to somewhere in Morris or Middlesex.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:24 PM

9,313 posts, read 13,844,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
But my point is when someone first comes out to New Jersey suburbs (or Long Island or the Hudson Valley/Connecticut suburbs) from the City, it will often be because they have a family. Their main priorities are more likely to be good schools and a train station to get back to Manhattan to work. They will want if possible, a dreamhouse, with a nice kitchen, living room and dining room, a separate den, bedrooms and a nice yard for the kids.

A local walkable downtown will be much further down the list.
Not on this forum. City-Data NJ Forum trifecta is schools, commute, downtown.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:43 PM

Again, my point is that if you're going for that train station and good schools you're going to end up with a walkable town.

Let's just go down a list of best schools (https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes.../s/new-jersey/) and simply by getting rid of the ones without train stops we're left with

Millburn, Princeton, Summit, Chatham, Basking Ridge, Mountain Lakes, Haddonfield, Glen Ridge, South Brunswick, Westfield, Berkeley Heights, Montclair.

Glen Ridge and Brunswick are just about the only ones in the top 20 without a walkable downtown but still have a train and great schools. So by looking for those two things in the first place you're already self-selecting to end up in a place with a walkable downtown.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:17 PM

1,146 posts, read 855,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Not on this forum. City-Data NJ Forum trifecta is schools, commute, downtown.
Agree -- a walkable downtown is very high on the list for a lot of people. When my sister's family moved to NJ, their #1 criteria was walkability to train and town. Instead of buying a grand house farther out, they chose a modest house a few blocks from Maplewood village. It's been wonderful for the kids to be able to walk to town to hang out with their friends and walk to school.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:32 AM

196 posts, read 122,669 times
WHAT are towns with bad schools, trains, and good downtown and neighborhoods??

Quote:
Again, my point is that if you're going for that train station and good schools you're going to end up with a walkable town.

Let's just go down a list of best schools (https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes.../s/new-jersey/) and simply by getting rid of the ones without train stops we're left with

Millburn, Princeton, Summit, Chatham, Basking Ridge, Mountain Lakes, Haddonfield, Glen Ridge, South Brunswick, Westfield, Berkeley Heights, Montclair.

Glen Ridge and Brunswick are just about the only ones in the top 20 without a walkable downtown but still have a train and great schools. So by looking for those two things in the first place you're already self-selecting to end up in a place with a walkable downtown.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:41 AM

Parts of Newark are nice but the schools just need so much help. Hoboken. Parts of Jersey City. I would even go as far as to say Central Ave in East Orange is a nice walkable area of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or