U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2018, 08:56 AM
 
448 posts, read 378,260 times
Reputation: 310

Advertisements

Bloomfield is the closest stop to NYC on the montclair direct line. The train is just under 30 min, although realistically is a 35 min. Maybe 40 min train. Your door to door will be about an hour if could find a house within walking distance to the train. They also have a big new parking structure next to the train station. You could get a 2000 SF 4 bedroom for 500k. It’s not going to be the nicest house but certainly livable. And the lot will be about 5-6000 SF. Kind of what you would see in Queens or Staten Island. Housing stock and schools are so so as the town sits on the border where things start gettin rough. But closest you could be to nyc while having a direct train with acceptable schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2018, 10:20 AM
 
731 posts, read 531,034 times
Reputation: 831
How fast can you walk from penn to your office or port authority? 20 minutes? Drive to train or walk to bus stop and wait time- another 15 minutes. Your already at 35 before time on bus or train. Am I slower than everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2018, 10:45 AM
 
28 posts, read 19,996 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
How fast can you walk from penn to your office or port authority? 20 minutes? Drive to train or walk to bus stop and wait time- another 15 minutes. Your already at 35 before time on bus or train. Am I slower than everyone else?
The E train is about 25 feet from our office building, so I presume I would take that from either Penn or PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2018, 11:26 AM
 
2,985 posts, read 2,197,875 times
Reputation: 2221
Start here and add about 15-30 minutes and you'll see what places you should start to consider.
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...N_GRAPHIC.html

For example, I live in Cranford and my office is in Union Square. I walk to the train from the house, leaving at 8:10 to catch the the 8:17 and end up in the office at 9:20. So the map says it's 45 minutes to Cranford but the reality is different from that once you calculate getting to and from NJ Transit. Your 1 hour 15 is going to be a lot more likely on your budget, Zillow isn't showing many places under 500K in my town at this point and taxes are going to be around 11K for a 500K house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2018, 11:29 AM
 
28 posts, read 19,996 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Start here and add about 15-30 minutes and you'll see what places you should start to consider.
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...N_GRAPHIC.html

For example, I live in Cranford and my office is in Union Square. I walk to the train from the house, leaving at 8:10 to catch the the 8:17 and end up in the office at 9:20. So the map says it's 45 minutes to Cranford but the reality is different from that once you calculate getting to and from NJ Transit. Your 1 hour 15 is going to be a lot more likely on your budget, Zillow isn't showing many places under 500K in my town at this point and taxes are going to be around 11K for a 500K house.
Thanks, Jay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM
 
Location: NYC area
545 posts, read 453,648 times
Reputation: 945
OP,

When you say "Good schools", what does that mean to you? Do socioeconomics matter? How old are your kids and how academic are they?

If I were you, I would look into areas in Jersey City Heights, Union City, Secaucus, Weehawken, etc. These are more urban areas, meaning lots are small, but you can absolutely get a small single family house for your price range--it would probably not be updated, but your commute would be pretty great.

I work in education. I currently work in an area that has 0% low income students and very little ethnic or socioeconomic diversity, but very good ratings on state tests. Although I really like where I work, I would not want to raise my own kids here. We make a decent living, and we could afford to live in almost any "good school district" in the NJ side of the NYC metro area, but we choose to live in Hoboken where some people believe "schools are bad". So far, we are 3 years into the public education system and our kiddo has been getting a top notch education. She's currently taking both Mandarin and French, along with with a science/engineering class daily. She can already read. She's in Kindergarten.

Anyway, Union City elementary schools are very good, especially considering their sociodemographics. (google the NY TIMES article about the UC school system), and they have 1 magnet school that has amazing ratings. Any Hudson county high schooler can apply to High Tech high. Jersey City has McNair, if you can get it, which is one of the best public HS in New Jersey. There are some Elementary schools in the heights with very respectable ratings that are improving every year. Same with Weehawken, although Weehawken High is not on par with a school like McNair.

So to sum up, check out Union City, Weehawken, and Jersey City Heights and see if there's anything in your budget that appeals to you. Your commute to midtown will be short, as busses have priority lanes during rush hour. My husband works in midtown and his commute door to door is right under 30 minutes. Right now we are very pleased where we are--the only issue for us is housing prices. It's hard to move into a bigger place where we currently live without spending 1.5-2.5 mil to have the amenities we are used to, but Union City/Jersey City Heights/ and up on the ridge in Weehawken have better prices, although the JC heights are rapidly getting more expensive because of real estate speculators and flippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 07:12 AM
 
28 posts, read 19,996 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
OP,

When you say "Good schools", what does that mean to you? Do socioeconomics matter? How old are your kids and how academic are they?

If I were you, I would look into areas in Jersey City Heights, Union City, Secaucus, Weehawken, etc. These are more urban areas, meaning lots are small, but you can absolutely get a small single family house for your price range--it would probably not be updated, but your commute would be pretty great.

I work in education. I currently work in an area that has 0% low income students and very little ethnic or socioeconomic diversity, but very good ratings on state tests. Although I really like where I work, I would not want to raise my own kids here. We make a decent living, and we could afford to live in almost any "good school district" in the NJ side of the NYC metro area, but we choose to live in Hoboken where some people believe "schools are bad". So far, we are 3 years into the public education system and our kiddo has been getting a top notch education. She's currently taking both Mandarin and French, along with with a science/engineering class daily. She can already read. She's in Kindergarten.

Anyway, Union City elementary schools are very good, especially considering their sociodemographics. (google the NY TIMES article about the UC school system), and they have 1 magnet school that has amazing ratings. Any Hudson county high schooler can apply to High Tech high. Jersey City has McNair, if you can get it, which is one of the best public HS in New Jersey. There are some Elementary schools in the heights with very respectable ratings that are improving every year. Same with Weehawken, although Weehawken High is not on par with a school like McNair.

So to sum up, check out Union City, Weehawken, and Jersey City Heights and see if there's anything in your budget that appeals to you. Your commute to midtown will be short, as busses have priority lanes during rush hour. My husband works in midtown and his commute door to door is right under 30 minutes. Right now we are very pleased where we are--the only issue for us is housing prices. It's hard to move into a bigger place where we currently live without spending 1.5-2.5 mil to have the amenities we are used to, but Union City/Jersey City Heights/ and up on the ridge in Weehawken have better prices, although the JC heights are rapidly getting more expensive because of real estate speculators and flippers.
Hi Annikan,

I am not looking for incredibly competitive schools-- just a good school where my daughter can get a good, solid education. She is 10 now and has done all of her schooling in the Bronx thus far. I like her current school, but I am quite sure she will get a much better education in NJ.

Being that we are coming from NYC, I am looking for something more suburban. To achieve that, I am willing to extend my commute to about 75 minutes and also increase the budget slightly, if need be.

I have done some more research and now have the following towns in mind: Fair Lawn, Dumont, Glen Rock, Englewood. I am iffy on whether or not Englewood schools are good, though. Seems like perhaps they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 AM
 
731 posts, read 531,034 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_four View Post
Hi Annikan,

I am not looking for incredibly competitive schools-- just a good school where my daughter can get a good, solid education. She is 10 now and has done all of her schooling in the Bronx thus far. I like her current school, but I am quite sure she will get a much better education in NJ.

Being that we are coming from NYC, I am looking for something more suburban. To achieve that, I am willing to extend my commute to about 75 minutes and also increase the budget slightly, if need be.

I have done some more research and now have the following towns in mind: Fair Lawn, Dumont, Glen Rock, Englewood. I am iffy on whether or not Englewood schools are good, though. Seems like perhaps they aren't.
Englewood schools are terrible unless there is a charter that appeals to you. Dumont is ok but taxes will be high and it will take you longer than 35 minutes on the bus at prime time. Fairlawn is a good option. Glen rock is excellent if you can get something in your price range - not sure of commute time. Maywood may be an option but only before Hackensack high school attendance and bus commute. Have you looked at Rutherford, schools are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 AM
46H
 
964 posts, read 584,577 times
Reputation: 1864
River Edge and Oradell might work. They are on the Pascack Valley Line (train service) and also have bus service. The towns have excellent schools and houses that might fit in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 AM
 
731 posts, read 531,034 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
River Edge and Oradell might work. They are on the Pascack Valley Line (train service) and also have bus service. The towns have excellent schools and houses that might fit in your price range.
Those are lovely towns. Very suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top