U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 04:22 PM

117 posts, read 37,127 times

Advertisements

Do folks have views on how the Radburn part of Fair Lawn compares to the Milnes part? We live in the Milnes section currently but are thinking about upsizing a little to accommodate a growing family. Went to an open house in Radburn today, and loved the location and walking paths to school/pool. However, I had the feeling that it is maybe a little past its prime? E.g., the playground by the school was a little underwhelming/old, and there were a few houses on the main path to school whose yards were not well kept. I’m a little worried about what things will look like in 5-10 years. In addition, greatschools reports the elementary school has something like a 17:1 student teacher ratio, which seems high. Finally, it seems odd to me that you have to pay $200/month just for the pool and to have someone mow the common areas. Is that really all you get for your Radburn Association fees?

Milnes doesn’t have a nice walking path system, but you can find houses that are walking distance to Berdan park (which feels newer/better than the Radburn playground), Milnes and the middle school. The housing stock is not great, but now and then you can find something decently sized with an ok layout (or new construction). Greatschools reports the elementary school has an 11:1 student teacher ratio.

I’d welcome any thoughts on these areas.

Last edited by TaxProf; 09-30-2018 at 05:02 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 09:38 PM

445 posts, read 1,044,015 times
the main preference people have is not actually Radburn itself, but the area the borders Glen Rock. ....so radburn section but the the part is that owned by the association. doesnt make sense to pay money to an association....all you really get is a pool, the rest is open to everyone.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
the main preference people have is not actually Radburn itself, but the area the borders Glen Rock. ....so radburn section but the the part is that owned by the association. doesnt make sense to pay money to an association....all you really get is a pool, the rest is open to everyone.
Whatís the draw of the part that borders glen rock? I like the walking paths and proximity to train myself. But association fee is really high for a pool.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:26 PM

445 posts, read 1,044,015 times
more people feel that the houses look better, the area is more green, has more trees

Old 10-03-2018, 05:18 PM

35 posts, read 20,867 times
seduflow is correct. The radburn section north of fair lawn ave is the preferred area. The sentiment is that its the nicer part of town. when i moved in a few years back, I couldnt stand how the radburn association area looked and felt. the area closer to glenrock not under association was nicer. if you are not averse to WP area, you can look at the area just behind gregory park, between morlot and broadway, east of plaza....this small pocket also looks nicer when i drive around...urban terrace, zachary, up until rosalie.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:22 PM

194 posts, read 338,166 times
Should also consider the 'soft borders' policy that went into effect last year in Fair Lawn. Soft borders means you will not necessarily be placed in the school you live near. Both Radburn and Milnes are overcrowded so new kids in town will most likely be placed at Westmoreland or Forrest. You can be place locally only if you have siblings already attending Radburn or Milnes.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:41 PM

57 posts, read 33,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Do folks have views on how the Radburn part of Fair Lawn compares to the Milnes part? We live in the Milnes section currently but are thinking about upsizing a little to accommodate a growing family. Went to an open house in Radburn today, and loved the location and walking paths to school/pool. However, I had the feeling that it is maybe a little past its prime? E.g., the playground by the school was a little underwhelming/old, and there were a few houses on the main path to school whose yards were not well kept. Iím a little worried about what things will look like in 5-10 years. In addition, greatschools reports the elementary school has something like a 17:1 student teacher ratio, which seems high. Finally, it seems odd to me that you have to pay $200/month just for the pool and to have someone mow the common areas. Is that really all you get for your Radburn Association fees?

Milnes doesnít have a nice walking path system, but you can find houses that are walking distance to Berdan park (which feels newer/better than the Radburn playground), Milnes and the middle school. The housing stock is not great, but now and then you can find something decently sized with an ok layout (or new construction). Greatschools reports the elementary school has an 11:1 student teacher ratio.

Iíd welcome any thoughts on these areas.

We are in the Milnes section right across from Milnes and TJ. We specifically wanted Milnes as we have kids 4 yrs apart and did not want to have to drop the off at different spots. My 5th grader walks to school on his own in the morning (there's a crossing guard) and it takes my husband 5 min to drop off the little one on foot. So elementary and middle schools on same block were a huge selling point for us. If you're in Radburn, you'd have to drive the kid to TJ later on every morning. It's madness at drop-off time and we're thankful daily that we don't have to drive them to school. The overcrowding is about the same in both Milnes and Radburn. My 5th grader has about 24 kids in his class and the 1st grader has 23. My friends at Radburn have same amount of kids in classes. The main advantage (to me) of Radburn is that you can potentially walk to the train station. I don't think Radburn association is worth what they charge in fees. The houses are very cute but also very old and you're restricted in what you can do to them. If you like Radburn, there are houses that are not in the association.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard123 View Post
We are in the Milnes section right across from Milnes and TJ. We specifically wanted Milnes as we have kids 4 yrs apart and did not want to have to drop the off at different spots. My 5th grader walks to school on his own in the morning (there's a crossing guard) and it takes my husband 5 min to drop off the little one on foot. So elementary and middle schools on same block were a huge selling point for us. If you're in Radburn, you'd have to drive the kid to TJ later on every morning. It's madness at drop-off time and we're thankful daily that we don't have to drive them to school. The overcrowding is about the same in both Milnes and Radburn. My 5th grader has about 24 kids in his class and the 1st grader has 23. My friends at Radburn have same amount of kids in classes. The main advantage (to me) of Radburn is that you can potentially walk to the train station. I don't think Radburn association is worth what they charge in fees. The houses are very cute but also very old and you're restricted in what you can do to them. If you like Radburn, there are houses that are not in the association.
This all makes sense. Thought about this more and have the same view. That said, little worried about TJ ó last yearís state school reports suggested more bullying per capital at TJ than Camden HS, which is kind of worrisome.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:57 PM

57 posts, read 33,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
This all makes sense. Thought about this more and have the same view. That said, little worried about TJ ó last yearís state school reports suggested more bullying per capital at TJ than Camden HS, which is kind of worrisome.

I'm not sure how they're collecting these statistics. I doubt there's more bullying than at any other middle school. Kids at that age are just extra mean. I'm planning to attempt to control the situation by not giving my middle schooler a smart phone until HS. He'll have a regular phone just for calling and texting. Hopefully if there's bullying, it'll at least be of the old fashioned kind (so I'll hopefully notice and be able to deal with it).

Old 01-04-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard123 View Post
I'm not sure how they're collecting these statistics. I doubt there's more bullying than at any other middle school. Kids at that age are just extra mean. I'm planning to attempt to control the situation by not giving my middle schooler a smart phone until HS. He'll have a regular phone just for calling and texting. Hopefully if there's bullying, it'll at least be of the old fashioned kind (so I'll hopefully notice and be able to deal with it).
That's what I was expecting, but these schools are reporting detailed information on bullying and things like substance abuse issues. I strongly doubt there's much incentive to over-report these incidents, and I note that the other schools in fair lawn reported much lower numbers. Obviously this is just a one year sample, since they only started releasing this information last year, so who knows if it signals a real issue with TJ. We'll see what the information for 2018 looks like when it is released.

That said, even if there is some elevated bullying, I doubt it's to the level where the educational experience of most kids would be disrupted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or