Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:39 AM

607 posts, read 543,722 times

Advertisements

Further proof that "diversity" means "non-white."

To the OP: How about you concern yourself with the personalities, values, and behaviors of your neighbors instead of their skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 AM

48 posts, read 67,200 times
I have no opinion about Ocean Township’s diversity, but I just want to point out that several posters have confused Ocean Township with Ocean County. Ocean Township is in Monmouth County, near Eatontown and Long Branch and West Long Branch.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:57 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,573,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I can't comment on the school system, but you should be aware that Ocean County has the state's worst opiate/opioid addiction problem. I'm not sure that I would want to expose young kids to that type of situation.
Breaking news!!!! Ocean Township and the rest of the towns mentioned by the OP are in MONMOUTH County. I have seen you repeat this over and over, but the OP didn't ask or say she wants to move to Ocean County. lmao

Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,468,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadimre View Post
Hi all,

We currently live in Colts Neck. We are a mixed Asian family and we're looking for a little more diversity than what is here in Colts Neck (which is 95% white by census reports). Or at least the hope of diversity as the kids get older and go to HS. We also lean liberal, and the views are a bit too conservative in CN for us. Also, my husband commutes to NYC twice a week. I commute to various Monmouth county locations - Brick, Freehold, Toms River, and occasionally up to East Brunswick and Somerset. We love our current nearby location to route 18 and the parkway, but for the above stated reasons are looking to move.

We're considering Ocean Twp because it seems to be a decent mix of all types. The schools in recent years haven't rated that well on the sites I'm looking at, but I'm happy to be proven wrong by you fine folks! We love its nearby location to shore points, near enough still to Red Bank for the culture and restaurants, but we also gain nearby access to culture and restaurants in Asbury Park.

We're also considering Little Silver because it's very close to where we already live, and we love the area. Although the population is quite similar to CN, the kids will then go on to RBR for HS which is quite diverse. And of course, we love Red Bank.

I've searched the threads, but many are old, so I figured I'd revive this discussion. What say you, wise people? Thank you so much!
id consider a nice house on the water in little silver. but diversity isnt something i care about. it seems like a move from colts neck to ocean would be a clear move down. never move down. what really dont you like about colts neck? the main issue would be husbands trip to nyc.

if you are really looking for a less conservative place then you are going to end up moving down. there are plenty of liberals in all of these places. im in holmdel and my group of friend's are mainly conservative. there are a few democrats mixed in. im an anarchist. we manage. holmdel has a healthy asian population so maybe you want to move here.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 63,435 times
I'm talking about Ocean twp in Monmouth County. Oakhurst, Wanamassa, Wayside. Not considering ocean county at all.

Colts neck HS is part of Freehold regional district, so there is a little more of a mix then. And I think they take kids from the army base too.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Part of my issue with Colts neck is also the wealth factor. I know the major part of kids being spoiled is the parents, but I also hate seeing the other kids driving around their beamers and Audi's and that influence on my kids. Is Holmdel similar?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,438,588 times
what your budget and housing expectation. Going to big difference between LS and many parts of Ocean twp. Do you want small town feel/walkability? Public school or are you considering private? Commute time acceptable? Do you need quick access to big box stores like Target, Costco etc? Will go on from there but that's a start.
LS won't have much diversity but by time RBR comes into play you will see lots, Ocean would have a bit more day to day but again a much bigger town. I've honestly not seen these two towns compared to each other that much.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,468,370 times
Quote:
I'm talking about Ocean twp in Monmouth County. Oakhurst, Wanamassa, Wayside. Not considering ocean county at all.

Colts neck HS is part of Freehold regional district, so there is a little more of a mix then. And I think they take kids from the army base too.
Quote:

what are you trying to do to your kids? ocean township in monmouth county is a step down. the main positive of ocean township is there is a baja fresh there.

you think you are doing your kids a favor with this diversity and military kids? that is preferable over kids driving beamers and audis? im having heart palpitations here.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 AM

We have a wide budget. I could spend 600k for a place that needs reno or could spend up to 1M if it's the perfect place. I agree, those two towns are very different, so I'm confusing even myself.

My main reason for considering ocean is because I feel like it might be a more down to earth place. It does seem more diverse and there's some economic diversity as well. The reason for considering LS is it has more of a small hometown feel, there's more of a mix in terms of political views, and then high school would be more diverse even if the younger years wouldn't be.

Commute time would be a little worse for hubby in Ocean twp, but he only goes in two times a week and said he's fine with it. For me in ocean would be very similar to current commute, and a little worse if in LS.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:02 AM

12,098 posts, read 16,981,808 times
Quote:
Hi Jobaba, thanks for your answer. We're planning to move in the next year or two b/c we need a bigger house anyway. So the question is whether to stay in CN or move to a nearby town.

Yes, we've considered some Middlesex towns. But I've found that sometimes in those situations where there's a very large Asian population, the kids segregate themselves to large cliques of only Chinese, only Korean, only Indian, etc.
By the time your kids go to high school, places like North Brunswick and East Brunswick will have a whole slew of 2nd generation Asian kids.

And they will be less likely to segregate themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey