Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
It would be healthier for our towns if NJ seniors didn't flee the state when they retire. Yes, tax them, but tax them for the municipal portion of the budget...the police, roads, etc. But we are taxing them waaaaay too much for schools, of course they are all looking for the nearest exit. This is the idea behind 55 and overs...why can't we extend that to homes that are already owned?

It's a crying shame when people own their homes outright and can't live in them after they retire because of property taxes
People with yearly retirement incomes much greater than mine, stream out of NJ once they retire, for greener, less expensive pastures. They know they can sell their NJ home for big bucks and get out from under the crushing tax burden, while moving into a new house with "yearly property taxes" less than one of the "quarterly property tax bills" they're used to!

I've always said that the happiest teachers (and cops, for that matter!) in North Carolina are the ones from Northern NJ and Long Island who retire here, with pensions that are equal to the salaries of still-working North Carolina teachers, who have the same amount of years in! Of course, everything isn't entirely a bed of roses! Those teachers and others with substantial retirement income, find their pensions are taxed at a much higher rate (...about 8%) than NJ or NY would tax them. So your big property tax break from a move, may not generate as much savings as you think!

Shop very carefully for a new state before you decide to view NJ in the rear-view mirror!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 05:16 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
It would be healthier for our towns if NJ seniors didn't flee the state when they retire. Yes, tax them, but tax them for the municipal portion of the budget...the police, roads, etc. But we are taxing them waaaaay too much for schools, of course they are all looking for the nearest exit. This is the idea behind 55 and overs...why can't we extend that to homes that are already owned?

It's a crying shame when people own their homes outright and can't live in them after they retire because of property taxes
Yup. It’s not great for property owners.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...e=New%20Jersey

Old 10-06-2018, 05:17 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

Seniors and property taxes is a complicated issue to sort out, too many moving targets.

People are living longer, in a good amount of cases one or both homeowners *much* longer than in the past. So if you own, then yes, you are going to be paying those high property taxes.

Back in the day many older folks didn't grumble so much about high property taxes because it went towards providing services (schools, healthcare, etc...) for *ahem* people and or their children like themselves. Fast forward to today with so many areas experiencing changes demographically not everyone is thrilled some new residents/neighbors.

People also tend to forget that in many cases owning property in a good to excellent school area adds considerable value. So while seniors and others may grumble about taxes going towards local public schools, they do often benefit indirectly.

Finally there is something we all already know; you can't reduce taxes even on one group without getting ahold of spending. Something NJ like NY, Conn, MA, CA, along with a good number of other states/local governments simply refuse to do.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:36 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Seniors and property taxes is a complicated issue to sort out, too many moving targets.

People are living longer, in a good amount of cases one or both homeowners *much* longer than in the past. So if you own, then yes, you are going to be paying those high property taxes.

Back in the day many older folks didn't grumble so much about high property taxes because it went towards providing services (schools, healthcare, etc...) for *ahem* people and or their children like themselves. Fast forward to today with so many areas experiencing changes demographically not everyone is thrilled some new residents/neighbors.

People also tend to forget that in many cases owning property in a good to excellent school area adds considerable value. So while seniors and others may grumble about taxes going towards local public schools, they do often benefit indirectly.

Finally there is something we all already know; you can't reduce taxes even on one group without getting ahold of spending. Something NJ like NY, Conn, MA, CA, along with a good number of other states/local governments simply refuse to do.
The problem, at the core, is taxing property instead of income.

Once you pay for your house in full but are still holding a property tax bill every year worth up to 2% (or more) of the value of the home, you don't own that home. So really you never, truly, own a home in NJ and many other states. Permanent renting is more like it

I understand municipal services being tied to the home...you need a police and fire department and plowing etc to maintain a safe home. Everyone should pay their share of that

Lumping schools in is where it goes too far. Schools should be funded via other taxation

Old 10-06-2018, 06:20 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:

Once you pay for your house in full but are still holding a property tax bill every year worth up to 2% (or more) of the value of the home, you don't own that home. So really you never, truly, own a home in NJ and many other states. Permanent renting is more like it

I understand municipal services being tied to the home...you need a police and fire department and plowing etc to maintain a safe home. Everyone should pay their share of that

Lumping schools in is where it goes too far. Schools should be funded via other taxation
So you would rather trust Trenton to dole out the money? At least I see the money going to the schools in my town.

I do think the property taxes are too high and I understand that it sucks if you are forced to leave. There are some ideas, but there is not a lot of political will to make the changes.

I am pretty sure my wife and I will have to move to a more affordable state when we retire - less property taxes, less income taxes, converting our NJ house to cheaper housing, better weather, cheaper insurance, less population, and on and on. It is not a bad thing to leave.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:24 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

Actually taxing land makes far more sense economically and otherwise. It isn't going any place and cannot be manipulated or whatever to escape taxation. Income OTOH.....

Historically in Europe and IIRC much of early USA history land is what got taxed. That was reason why British law created (then finally took away) fee entail. People kept locking up land in trusts almost in perpetuity to escape a good portion of taxes levied upon.

There is a push from parts of Europe today and even within USA to get rid of much (if not all) income taxes and move to a land value tax system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_value_tax

Land/property taxes are fair game because owners generally benefit from amenities/improvements or whatever that aren't just on their property.

Again there is a reason why homes in areas with good to excellent schools and other amenities in NJ on average are worth more than in some hood.

Take the debate many of us know too well; New York City versus New Jersey.

You can spend $600k for a crappy house on a small lot on Staten Island and yes, pay nearly nothing in property taxes. But the public schools often are a mess (K-5) ditto middle schools and high school unless your kids get into on of the specialized, you're looking at private.

Spending nearly one million (or less) will get you a good sized property in many NJ towns with good to excellent public school systems. This along with tons of good to excellent amenities such as parks, healthcare, things for seniors and kids to do, etc.....

While am sure you know the history of how NJ got to where it is today in relation to property/income taxes, but if not: Income tax experiment has failed in Jersey | NJ.com

Old 10-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
So you would rather trust Trenton to dole out the money? At least I see the money going to the schools in my town.

I do think the property taxes are too high and I understand that it sucks if you are forced to leave. There are some ideas, but there is not a lot of political will to make the changes.

I am pretty sure my wife and I will have to move to a more affordable state when we retire - less property taxes, less income taxes, converting our NJ house to cheaper housing, better weather, cheaper insurance, less population, and on and on. It is not a bad thing to leave.
Trenton already controls everything. That’s here all of the education mandates come from running up costs. It’s not the towns. Oh yeah and they get to override the cap too. Local control is a myth

I think it’s fine if people want to leave but it sucks when people feel they have to move away, especially from family

Old 10-06-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Actually taxing land makes far more sense economically and otherwise. It isn't going any place and cannot be manipulated or whatever to escape taxation. Income OTOH.....

Historically in Europe and IIRC much of early USA history land is what got taxed. That was reason why British law created (then finally took away) fee entail. People kept locking up land in trusts almost in perpetuity to escape a good portion of taxes levied upon.

There is a push from parts of Europe today and even within USA to get rid of much (if not all) income taxes and move to a land value tax system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_value_tax

Land/property taxes are fair game because owners generally benefit from amenities/improvements or whatever that aren't just on their property.

Again there is a reason why homes in areas with good to excellent schools and other amenities in NJ on average are worth more than in some hood.

Take the debate many of us know too well; New York City versus New Jersey.

You can spend $600k for a crappy house on a small lot on Staten Island and yes, pay nearly nothing in property taxes. But the public schools often are a mess (K-5) ditto middle schools and high school unless your kids get into on of the specialized, you're looking at private.

Spending nearly one million (or less) will get you a good sized property in many NJ towns with good to excellent public school systems. This along with tons of good to excellent amenities such as parks, healthcare, things for seniors and kids to do, etc.....

While am sure you know the history of how NJ got to where it is today in relation to property/income taxes, but if not: Income tax experiment has failed in Jersey | NJ.com
Let’s not even get into the Abbott debate

Old 10-06-2018, 07:09 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Its not extra curricular activities (well maybe some) making taxes so high, it's decades of voting Democrats into office who gave away ridiculous pensions for votes. You're paying for 50+ years of pensions and benefits in your taxes.
You were incorrect the last time you used that pension lie and you're incorrect now.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:13 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
Trenton already controls everything. That’s here all of the education mandates come from running up costs. It’s not the towns. Oh yeah and they get to override the cap too. Local control is a myth
They do and they don't control local issues. There is a reason why some systems are better than others. I am just happy that the $6800/$10k that we pay goes directly into my school system. Sending that $6800 to Trenton would NEVER come back to my town. With the last governor it would have ended up buried in some highway. The governor before that would have sent it to the Abbott districts.

Quote:
I think it’s fine if people want to leave but it sucks when people feel they have to move away, especially from family
My whole family is in NJ. I would rather not leave. PA has issues, but it can be way cheaper than NJ and you can still be pretty close to NJ. There are a ton of choices if you want warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey