Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,055,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
OMG comparing Wood-Ridge and a spec-built development with Montclair, South Orange, Short Hills, etc. I could make some juicy comments, but will just LOL and wonder how people could be so blind.

Agreed.

I'm biting my virtual tongue, and not posting more, because it's now obvious that these two threads on Westmont are attempts by the OP's to influence public opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 04:47 AM

15 posts, read 39,916 times
My my!

First, I will mention the “con” re: Somerset v. Pulte to be fair -
If you are looking for a highly customizable home, Pulte is a better fit - there were far more “options” (of course all with a price tag). They are also a national, experienced builder and their team of people you’d be dealing with are probably a lot more... polished. There have been a fair amount of grievances re: WP’s sales agents, the closing process, etc. In the end, if you are patient, getting through all that is worth it in my opinion.

I would absolutely make no comparison between Wood Ridge and South Orange, Maplewood, Summit, Glen Ridge - all of those gorgeous, expensive commuter towns. We moved here from a condo that was walking distance to South Orange’s station and loved that convenience; if you picked up our townhouse at WP and dropped it across the street from SO station, it would be hundreds of thousands more. Wood Ridge and Hasbrook Heights are fair towns but unfortunately surrounded by undesirable areas on the opposite side of the tracks - Wallington, Lodi, Garfield, etc. Keep in mind, Glen Ridge borders East Orange and Maplewood borders Newark. We are also a childless couple and will be for at least 5 years, so school systems were not a huge factor in our decision making process.

Regardless of that, living in a town/community with a station on one of the NJ Transit lines is good for value and desirability - period. “Wesmont” is not going to become Glen Ridge - my point was that generally speaking living near a train is a good thing long-term. In 2-3 years when all construction is complete, retail is built out, a park is done, the roads are paved, etc. - I think there is potential for this to be a highly desirable neighborhood. I’m sure that plenty of people who are leaving Manhattan or Hudson County take a look at where the train lines are before going house-hunting (as we did).

Somerset has been here for 17 years, so I’m not sure about the “hightailing” comment.

The original post was asking for opinions from people who live here (/can afford to), and that I actually am.

Last edited by JohnRDel; 10-17-2018 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey