Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 81,264 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are a multi-ethnic lesbian couple looking to move into a friendly, quiet, and affordable neighborhood in NJ. Originally we were considering Boston, but did some research and realized we are not financially ready to handle the rents. However, we would like to move there in a few years. Read our original post here: Black/Puerto Rican Lesbian Couple - Accepted in Boston & Surrounding Areas?

Until then, we have considered NJ, since it would be close to both of our families, and allows Civil Unions. Could anyone provide any insight into some neighborhoods where rent is under $1000 - BUT where it's also friendly, safe, and accepting of the LGBT community. Transportation should be plentiful, but we are getting a car this summer, so we could handle some buses and trains for additional travel. We would also like to be near a church, as we are looking to join a local Unitarian Universalist Church (Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations).

Any ideas? Suggestions? Any lesbian couples who live in Central or Northern jersey - if so, how have people treated you? Can you be 'OUT' at your job and in your neighborhood??

FYI- we don't want to move to Newark.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
You are more than welcome in Hackettstown - Warren Co.. Very diverse college town with a huge hispanic population. We have a very large GLBT community out this way and there are a bunch of houses for rent in town in your price range. We also have a train station and bus stop. I think you would absolutely love it out here.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I am not sure of rents in Maplewood/South Orange; but this would be the perfect place Check out Craig's list etc; see what is available.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
does NJ have/accept civil unions? where will you be working?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 PM

39 posts, read 157,319 times
NJ has and accepts civil unions.

I've found Teaneck (Bergen County, 20 minutes outside NYC) to be most accepting. I also went to high school in Red Bank (monmouth county, near the shore) and had a number of gay friends, many of whom are still there. Not sure about how some of them felt, but the one I'm closest with expressed feeling safe and accepted at work and school and still does.. even when he went through the coming out process.

I hope that helps some. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 AM

14 posts, read 165,027 times
Highland Park is very friendly to gay people.
No one would bother you walking around the neighborhood.
About jobs - I don't know, would depend on the place.

Rents in HP - You might find a one-bedroom for $1000, altho every time I turn around, rents have gone up, so that could be changed.

In my neighborhood you could probably find a one-bedroom for $900-or so. But I live in a neighborhood of White and Black and Asian, so if you are looking for lily-white, you wouldn't want this area.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i second Highland Park. its got the college-y vibe going for it.

either that or Montclair, although rents are probably a little higher..

Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
This is NJ not the Baptist South. NJ is tolerant as long as you arent in their way while they are driving.

The simple most likely reaction of anyone seeing you is they will ignore you.

$1K rent might be a problem tho in N NJ.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 AM

11 posts, read 81,264 times
Thanks for the info everyone!

We are currently in the Philadelphia area, and are NOT comfortable being 'out'. When we visit my family in Queens, our being 'out' is NOT a problem at all. Not sure why Philly is so different....but it is.

Will do some research on the places mentioned!!! Thanks again. :-)

Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desilina View Post
Thanks for the info everyone!

We are currently in the Philadelphia area, and are NOT comfortable being 'out'. When we visit my family in Queens, our being 'out' is NOT a problem at all. Not sure why Philly is so different....but it is.

Will do some research on the places mentioned!!! Thanks again. :-)
That's PA for you! It really should have been moved a little further west - has no place being associated with us Northeasterners..lol : ) If you and your partner are ever out this way, drop me a DM as my partner and I would be more than happy to show you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey