Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 AM

59 posts, read 105,008 times

Advertisements

My parents are paying $6500-7000/year in property taxes in this state. I came to Union County to visit my parents last weekend and some of these roads are total CRAP, trash everywhere, everything is falling apart. What is wrong with this state? After their home is paid for(20 years of hard work!), they will still be paying average $600/month just in property tax and homeowners insurance. How do retirees do it on SS benefits? Makes no sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,097 times
I knew there was a reason so many retirees move down south.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 AM

259 posts, read 924,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGUIDO View Post
My parents are paying $6500-7000/year in property taxes in this state. I came to Union County to visit my parents last weekend and some of these roads are total CRAP, trash everywhere, everything is falling apart. What is wrong with this state? After their home is paid for(20 years of hard work!), they will still be paying average $600/month just in property tax and homeowners insurance. How do retirees do it on SS benefits? Makes no sense
No one moves to Jersey to retire. You make your mark here, then you move to Florida (aka God's Waiting Room)

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGUIDO View Post
Don't quote me but I believe that NJ has passed a law that seniors..at full retirement age, can freeze their taxes. You'll have to check with the local tax assessor's office and there may be some forms / applications they will have to fill out. This was told to me by a neighbor but I never had a chance to actually check into it. If you find anything out, can you share as I'm sure a few seniors in here would like to know if that is true or not.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
No one moves to Jersey to retire. You make your mark here, then you move to Florida (aka God's Waiting Room)
That is funny. But alot do retire in NJ especially Toms River and further South.. I dont know how but they do!!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Some people like myself can not wait till retirement. I escaped NJ 12 years ago. I lived in 3 other states since and never was my property taxes more then $800/yr for the same 1800 +/- sqft home. In NJ my property tax was $3800 back a dozen years ago. Today Zillow puts it at almost $6000.

Just think what one can do with all that savings............

Old 04-04-2008, 10:51 AM

330 posts, read 1,197,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Don't quote me but I believe that NJ has passed a law that seniors..at full retirement age, can freeze their taxes. You'll have to check with the local tax assessor's office and there may be some forms / applications they will have to fill out. This was told to me by a neighbor but I never had a chance to actually check into it. If you find anything out, can you share as I'm sure a few seniors in here would like to know if that is true or not.
I can assure you that's incorrect. My parents who are in their 80's are currently paying nearly 10k a year in property taxes to live the high life in Lodi, New Jersey in a small two family house on a 50x100 lot. Just this past year their property taxes increased $600 from last year. They are barely able to make ends meet but can't leave because at their age it would be too difficult to adjust to a new area. The people running the state don't give a d_mn about residents like my parents.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 AM

Check this out folks! Allen: Senior Freeze Program Can Help Reduce Property Tax Increases | Senator Diane Allen (http://www.senatenj.com/index.php/allen/allen-senior-freeze-program-can-help-reduce-property-tax-increases/104 - broken link)

Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM

330 posts, read 1,197,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Check this out folks! Allen: Senior Freeze Program Can Help Reduce Property Tax Increases | Senator Diane Allen (http://www.senatenj.com/index.php/allen/allen-senior-freeze-program-can-help-reduce-property-tax-increases/104 - broken link)
Unfortunately my parents yearly income is a little too much to qualify for that program.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
Unfortunately my parents yearly income is a little too much to qualify for that program.
My parents lived in Florida for awhile before I was born then returned to Jersey and swore they would never go back to Florida...well, they had no choice. They retired to Florida about 15 years ago. My mom passed about 5 years ago but dad is still down there. He lives in a retirement trailer home community and it costs him about $300.00/month for everything!!! And it's not a shabby place... nice pool, a golf course.. How can you beat that in Jersey! He survives just fine on his SS & Veteran's Benefits. Have you tried to convince them to sell and maybe get a nice condo or townhouse in Jersey? I know, too stubborn right : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey