Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 AM

15 posts, read 146,600 times

Advertisements

What would the commute from the Princeton area to Philadelphia be like? Is the train a better option than driving?

We are moving to Jersey in the next few months and I thought it may be a better commute than NY.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
take the train. There's 2 stations in princeton. Take the Northeast corridor line down to trenton using njtransit. Then transfer to the R7 I think on SEPTA. This take you to 30th street station in philly.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
Be advised that Princeton proper is not on the Northeast Corridor line. The line actually runs through West Windsor (specifically the unincorporated area of Princeton Junction) and there is a small shuttle that runs to downtown Princeton called the "Dinky" (it's only a 2 car consist), which folks take in order to connect with the Northeast Corridor. To go from the station in downtown Princeton to Princeton Junction to 30th Street Station in Philadelphia would be anywhere from an hour and a half to nearly a two hour trip because of the connection. Princeton Junction to 30th Street averages about an hour and a half but parking there is hard to come by if not impossible. Hamilton or Trenton both have garages and might be a better bet-the trip from Trenton to 30th Street is just under an hour.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
No matter what you do it's going to be gruesome.

The train station is in Princeton Junction, but there's no parking there (well, there IS but there's a waiting list that's several years long). The station in Princeton boro is just the dinky to get to the Princeton Junction station, and there's no parking there, either.

You'd have to get either Amtrak (which is pricey) from Princeton Junction to the 30th St. station OR take NJ Transit, change at Trenton to the SEPTA.

Every way you look at it, it's going to be horrible. And driving is just as bad. Why do you have to live in NJ? Why not live closer to Philly?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:34 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
I despise driving because I always used to public transportation when I live or go to a city. You can't sleep in your car and you can read or do work in the train. you won't be able to take amtrak if you're going everyday. that's exspensive.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I despise driving because I always used to public transportation when I live or go to a city. You can't sleep in your car and you can read or do work in the train. you won't be able to take amtrak if you're going everyday. that's exspensive.
You don't know what his/her budget it. He/she might be able to afford Amtrak.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 PM

15 posts, read 146,600 times
The transport does have to be reasonably priced.
It seems that living in that area may not allow for a resonable city commute.

I work in advertising - is it likely there would be many jobs in outlying areas - or are the majority of the employers in the cities?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:57 PM

34 posts, read 222,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroink View Post
The transport does have to be reasonably priced.
It seems that living in that area may not allow for a resonable city commute.

I work in advertising - is it likely there would be many jobs in outlying areas - or are the majority of the employers in the cities?
I am going to take Amtrak to commute.
It seems ok, in terms of price and time. 45min on train
Door to door is around 1.5 hr one way.
but parking is an issue in Princeton Junction.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 38,500 times
I'm flying my boss to Philadelphia. He has a meeting in Princeton and then another in Philadelphia. Is it feasible to do the train from the airport to Princeton and back to Philly, or should I rent a car?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaust View Post
I'm flying my boss to Philadelphia. He has a meeting in Princeton and then another in Philadelphia. Is it feasible to do the train from the airport to Princeton and back to Philly, or should I rent a car?
It can be done.
Train or shuttle from the airport to 30th Station. Septa into Trenton, NJT to Princeton Junction Station then the Dinky into Princeton.

I'd rent a car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey