Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 AM

28 posts, read 39,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Given that you can park for free at your girlfriend's house, not sure you need to explore more train options, but just wanted to mention that the Elmwood Park parking spot for the broadway station is way cheaper for nonresident parking than Hawthorne. It’s something like $160/year, and there seems to be lots of empty spots in the morning.

That's VERY good to know. I am planning on getting a 5 zone train pass for $210/month which would cover Anderson St to Penn Station. If I go to a 6 zone pass it goes to $227/month but I could use that on both Hackensack (Anderson St/Essex St) AND Fair lawn Stations (Radburn, Broadway, Plauderville). Broadway's parking situation looks MUCH better and if it's a bad weather day at my gfs I can drive the 10 mins to Broadway instead of walking the 10 minutes to Anderson St. If coming from my home I can drive 10 minutes to the Broadway Station as well.

Thank YOU SO MUCH for this information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I did port authority bus commutes for 7 years — just stopped recently because of a new job. Morning commutes via bus in the 7-10 am range are ridiculously volatile. I always had to leave at least an hour of cushion if I had early meetings or calls because I would never be able to tell whether the bus ride was going to be 45-60 min (65% of the days) or 80-100+ (35% of the days). I tried to use car service coming back most days, but when I had to take a bus back there was always a pretty good chance that one or more earlier buses failed to show up, and there was a line more than one bus deep for the bus I wanted to catch by the time I got to port Authority. Sometimes I'd end up waiting 30+ min at port authority, and end up having to catch a local bus, stretching my door to door return trip over 2 hrs. Really cannot recommend the NJ transit bus service from port authority.
How do you feel about the park and Rides generally? There is less volatility since there is less bus usage and more of 2 central "hubs" if you will.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:53 PM

173 posts, read 216,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
How do you feel about the park and Rides generally? There is less volatility since there is less bus usage and more of 2 central "hubs" if you will.
Never used park & ride because I have an express bus right outside my house. The volatility did not come from excess passenger volume, though. The bus mostly arrived at my house on time. It’s from constant Lincoln tunnel issues (disabled vehicles blocking tubes, car accidents inside tunnel, police activity), and I doubt park & ride would avoid it unless they have a secret route that bypasses backups at the tunnel. This hits you both ways. Also note that there is no express bus lane coming out of port authority in the evening.

I recently switched to a downtown commute, and it is far less volatile.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Never used park & ride because I have an express bus right outside my house. The volatility did not come from excess passenger volume, though. The bus mostly arrived at my house on time. It’s from constant Lincoln tunnel issues (disabled vehicles blocking tubes, car accidents inside tunnel, police activity), and I doubt park & ride would avoid it unless they have a secret route that bypasses backups at the tunnel. This hits you both ways. Also note that there is no express bus lane coming out of port authority in the evening.

I recently switched to a downtown commute, and it is far less volatile.
What method are you getting to downtown then?

I've also considered the Route 4 buses to the GWB station and then taking the A to midtown but I'm not sure if that is an efficient commute.... If my work gives me a monthly metro card it's definitely something I will consider

Old 11-06-2018, 07:30 PM

173 posts, read 216,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
What method are you getting to downtown then?

I've also considered the Route 4 buses to the GWB station and then taking the A to midtown but I'm not sure if that is an efficient commute.... If my work gives me a monthly metro card it's definitely something I will consider
I either take the train to Hoboken and take the path to WTC or just drive to Harrison and take path to WTC from there. Either way is far less volatile than bus into port authority. Considering moving to Leonia and then just taking the ferry from Weehawken. Would probably cut out 15-20 min each way and from my perspective well worth the additional cost — I would happily pay $30/hr for extra leisure time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey