Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 05:36 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times

Advertisements

When coming down the GSP at the Toms River tolls, there's been the express EZpass for a number of years. To the right of that EZpass express, there are 4 tolls booths. They got rid of the exact change lane and now only have 2 EZpass (non express) and 2 full service. There is no exact change lane anymore, so the full service is now backed up during rush hour.

Pretty much telling those who want to pay by cash....suck it up and wait or get EZPass.

With the next exit being about 2 miles from the toll plaza, there is no reason to have 2 non express EZpass booths.

Your tax dollars at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:48 PM

378 posts, read 586,361 times
I agree with you, but this was announced, so it’s not like there was no warning.

Technology marches on (and so do costs), and neither you nor I can do anything about it.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:50 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,019 times
Why not just get an EZ Pass? Is there a reason you don't want one? Just curious

Old 10-24-2018, 08:08 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Why not just get an EZ Pass? Is there a reason you don't want one? Just curious

I've had EZPass since NJ came out with it.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
After a while enough people move on with technology that those who haven't are required to pay with their time.

We didn't stop making buggy whips when we invented cars but they are more difficult to get these days. Most people have just gotten EZ Pass by now so it makes sense to have most lanes devoted to their use.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Most of the country is moving toward AET--All-Electronic Tolling. This should not come as a shock. It has been talked about for almost two decades, studies have been done as to how to implement it, and and the technology is being developed.

I don't get the "your tax dollars at work" comment. Far as I know, the NJTA doesn't receive any tax revenue.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:51 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Most of the country is moving toward AET--All-Electronic Tolling. This should not come as a shock. It has been talked about for almost two decades, studies have been done as to how to implement it, and and the technology is being developed.

I don't get the "your tax dollars at work" comment. Far as I know, the NJTA doesn't receive any tax revenue.
When I used the NY Thruway last month, I noticed that they have already implemented Cashless Tolling, and as a result, the traffic flow on both entrance and exit ramps has improved to an incredible extent. I haven't yet received my bill in the mail, but it should be interesting to see how this process works. The only negative aspect of this trend that I can perceive is that more unskilled/low-skill people will have to find another type of work.

If you think about it, the trend--beginning a few decades ago--and accelerating now as technology advances, is that there are fewer and fewer jobs left for those who don't have some sort of specialized or advanced training/education.
Street Sweepers?
Telephone Operators?
Elevator Operators?
Parking Lot Attendants?
Parking Meter Collectors?
Toll Collectors?
Bank Tellers?
Retail Cashiers?
All of these jobs have decreased to an incredible extent over the decades, and--in some cases--have been totally eliminated.

I'm sure that there are other job categories that I have overlooked, but the bottom line is that people who did not seek some sort of specialized training/higher education after high school are going to have an increasingly difficult time finding work as technology advances.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
I don't like having automatic deductions made from my bank account, or credit cards. I find EZ Pass intrusive, and unnecessary. I don't like them tracking me via EZ pass either.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't like having automatic deductions made from my bank account, or credit cards. I find EZ Pass intrusive, and unnecessary. I don't like them tracking me via EZ pass either.
And feel free to wait in the long line to pay cash, but don’t expect others to flip the bill for the extra costs

Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 AM

280 posts, read 338,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then don't use interstate highways? You're being tracked by aircraft, police vehicles, drones, satellites, any purchase you make, video cameras in stores if you pay with cash. EZ Pass greatly improves the flow of traffic. Worrying about being "tracked" is a little ridiculous at this point.

Also it doesn't auto deduct from your bank account. You put an amount into your account and it deducts from there. You can review your account anytime and dispute any charges pretty easily if necessary.

If you don't want to use the system then take local roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey