Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 75,392 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move in and around Iselin/woodbridge. My office is near WTC and would have to commute daily. I have a car and i am evaluating one of these three options to choose my rental apartments
1. Choose a rental apartment closer to Metropark station OR
2. Stay close to Woodbridge train station OR
3. Stay anywhere in iselin and take car to Harrison & park it there.

I find lot of apartments at walkable distance to woodbridge station but not to metropark. I also see woodbridge station has same frequency of trains as Metropark. I am not aware about Parking costs ? Are there any practical constraints (that i missed out) to choose Metropark station over Woodbridge station ?

Which option is the best of the 3 ??

Will my Option 3 to commute to harrison work out in reality...(considering traffic in GSP / parking cost @ harrison) ??

Any info on rental apartments close to metropark/woodbridge will be of great help aswell. I am looking for a 1 Br or 2Br <1300$.
Any piece of advice in this regard will be greatly apppreciated..

Thanks for your time....
Shyam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Parking is far more available at Metropark than Woodbridge- I've never had a problem finding a spot at Metropark, whereas Woodbridge's lots fill up by around 6:30. parking at Metropark is $5/day (around $80/month), though monthly permits are available at $65 if you want to get on a 4-6 month waiting list.

As you said, both stations basically have the same train frequencies and travel times, and on either line you'd take the train to Newark and walk across the platform to take PATH directly to WTC.

You could do the trip to Harrison, but I'd think the drive to and from would be a royal PITA, especially in bad weather. The money you'll save on the NJ Transit ticket will be eaten up partially in gas, and far more in aggravation, IMO.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 29,457 times
Shayam, I would agree with everything BobKovacs said but also add that you may want to also take into consideration the crowds. Rush hour on the Metropark line NEC (North-East Corridor) is always more crowded than the Woodbridge line NJC (North Jersey Coast).

Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 AM

19 posts, read 106,053 times
Metro Park station is located smack dab in the middle of an industrial park, which is why you wont' find any walkable apartments nearby.

Driving to Harrison would be UGH. Not good. Kick back on the train and read a book, and you'll get a lot fewer gray hairs in the longrun.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies

Hey

Bob and everyone else.thank you for your detailed replies...in this search of metropark vs woodbrdige station, i also figured out that Rahway station too has excellent parking and is drivable from iselin...am still looking for some good rustic rental communities with inhouse washer dryer unit..with <1500$ budget. Let me know if you know of any good communities.

thanks again ppl for your time
Shyam

Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,158 times
I'm not sure what the fee is but Horrows Gate might fit what you are looking for in Iselin. It's a decent walk from Metro Park down Gill Lane but probably take you just as long to drive to the station during rush hour. Traffic can get pretty rough in that area.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Post Sharon gardens stay & Woodbridge Commute to WTC

To Bob kovacs and other senior members,

Thanks guys...its a lot helpful forum and ppl have been really prompt in answering to my concerns. I have almost decided on sharon gardens and planning to keep my commute to WTC less "crowded" .

Some Actual Woodbridge commuters say, the scene has changed w.r.t parking in woodbridge station. Got to check that out. Planning to try out woodbridge stn and then metropark alternatively.

Any advice on Sharon gardens apt and/or woodbridge stn parking from existing commuters would be welcome...

cheers,
Shyam

Old 04-21-2008, 05:07 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
If I remember right, Sharon Gardens is on Woodbridge Center drive across from the mall. If so, it's not a bad area- you probably won't have any issues.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,158 times
I knew people who lived in Sharon Gardens Many years ago and they were very happy there. There are MANY apartment, condo and town house complexes on Woodbridge Center Drive and then for Metro Park directly across route 1 on Gills Lane . Not many are walking distance though. There are apartments directly across the street from Quick Check and Rainbow Academy and ones before Metro Park Plaza which would be walkable to Metro Park.

There are also many apartments on Green St close to Metro Park but not in realistic walking distance for most.

Some things to consider.... Woodbridge Center Drive is extremely busy at rush hour and a nightmare at Christmas. I had friends who lived in Woodbridge Terrace and they absolutely loved it EXCEPT on the weekends there is always a charity collecting on both sides of route 1. My friend always said if she went out a few times during the weekend it was expensive and she felt guilty not giving.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Question Daily Woodbridge-WTC-Woodbridge

Thanks to tandcookies bob and all... The daily commute from woodbridge to WTC and back has begun and i am planning to request woodbridge township for parking permits. It seems its a long queue for it, are there regular commuters on this section..who know where to find daily paid/free parking lots untill the permit is issued, between 6:30-7:30 am ? Also does any one know of Salsa classes/fitness/swimming classes in and around woodbridge twp, thats good and of average budget.

Thanks in advance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey