Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:18 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times

Advertisements

https://abc7ny.com/traffic/stuck-por...-mess/4583351/

Long train delays on my morning commute. Even LONGER train delays on my evening commute.

They love to cancel trains 5 minutes before schedule boarding. No communication between NJ Transit and commuters if something goes wrong.

There's gotta be something we can do right?

One option would be to start driving obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Move or get a new job so NJ Transit is not required. It ain't getting better. NJTransit is trying to re-enact that railroad in Atlas Shrugged, which ended up with everyone stranded in the middle of nowhere when the last train broke down.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:23 PM

10,479 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Have your company move to new jersey, write angry posts here about Murphy so we get a movement going to elect a business friendly Governor.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:27 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
It was the Portal Bridge. That's not NJ Transit or a non-business-friendly governor problem.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:49 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was the Portal Bridge. That's not NJ Transit or a non-business-friendly governor problem.

Yes exactly, I am amazed by the lack of knowledge many people have about infrastructure. This is an ancient bridge that needs to be replaced. NJ has agreed to pay its share but the Feds under the leadership of Our Dear Leader are dragging their feet and so far refused to contribute any funding...

Old 10-31-2018, 04:41 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes exactly, I am amazed by the lack of knowledge many people have about infrastructure. This is an ancient bridge that needs to be replaced. NJ has agreed to pay its share but the Feds under the leadership of Our Dear Leader are dragging their feet and so far refused to contribute any funding...
Oh please. The bridge was just one incident on a long list of many. How do you explain the train that broke down on Monday that had people trapped for 2 hours? Was that the president's fault too? Face it, NJ Transit is a complete disaster. I feel sorry for anyone that has to rely on them.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:38 AM

37,147 posts, read 39,394,719 times
So what exactly does the trillion dollar federal infrastructure plan do? New Jersey is one of several states that have an incredibly unequal ratio for federal tax receipts contributed versus federal expenditure in the state. It certainly doesn’t get anything near what might be considered a fair share. Infrastructure spending from the federal level makes sense since that ratio is incredibly off and New Jersey is sort of a golden goose that needs some support.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:21 AM

10,479 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I hope you're not talking about Trump.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:27 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Oh please. The bridge was just one incident on a long list of many.

This part of NEC owned by Amtrak. Yes it is a horrible piece of Third World infrastructure that should not be part of the major railroad ROW in the United States. The replacement is fully approved but there is no federal contribution. NJ agreed to pay 600 million $. Would you like to be taxed to come up another one billion? When the previous Governor killed ARC, he could've spend NJ portion to replace the bridge. He chose not to do so...

Quote:
How do you explain the train that broke down on Monday that had people trapped for 2 hours? Was that the president's fault too?
That is NJT problem, as far as I know. I am not saying that NJT is perfect but neither is it a complete disaster. It has just been devastated by the wise leadership of the Fat Moron for whom I am sure you have voted.

Quote:
Face it, NJ Transit is a complete disaster. I feel sorry for anyone that has to rely on them.
I take it every day so I appreciate you feeling sorry for me. I, on the other hand, feel sorry for anyone who choses to drive to Manhattan, rotting in traffic, in constant danger of injury or death. How long was the in-bound delay on GWB this morning? 60 - 90 minutes? Face it, roads are a complete disaster.

Now, I am not saying that NJT is perfect. But they operate a mismatch of railroads with different configurations using different sets of equipment all of which they have to maintain. Some are electrified and some are not. Exhibit A is the PVL line, one track, non grade separated, diesel dinosaur. NJT was never given sufficient funding to improve any of these former railroads. Previous Governor reduced NJ contributions to NJT, forcing them to find creative ways to pay for their operations. Ticket prices went up 32%. The addition of the PTC unfunded mandate made matters worse. But still, at least on the BC line that I take, trains run on time about 80% of the time. That is a lot better than sitting in a traffic jam every day.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
THIS time. Oh yeah, and today too. But when my train was cancelled on Monday, that was all NJT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey