U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:13 PM

5 posts, read 804 times

Advertisements

How long do you expect it to take for Elizabeth to improve/gentrify if ever?

According to this site the crime rates have gone down in recent years. Along with the vast economic opportunities in and around the city what has taken it so long? I would've expected Elizabeth to improve before cities like Rahway or North Bergen yet it seems to remain mediocre at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 02:11 AM

3,605 posts, read 2,581,626 times
10 years

depends how on bad deblasio rapes nyc, the chinese money stops, and murphy's management of the state

Old 11-18-2018, 08:49 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,593,893 times
Cities don't gentrify until people have a reason to move there. Cities like Hoboken and Jersey City became gentrified because they offered a more affordable alternative to Manhattan but still offered a convenient commute into the city. Hoboken started the trend, and then as people got priced out of Hoboken they started moving to Jersey City. Now that Jersey City is becoming expensive, the gentrification has moved on to Harrison. If you keep following down the line, Newark is starting to see some gentrification. If Newark ever becomes gentrified, then you may see some of it move into Elizabeth. But that is a LONG way off in my opinion (I would say minimum 10-15 years).

Old 11-18-2018, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Cities don't gentrify until people have a reason to move there. Cities like Hoboken and Jersey City became gentrified because they offered a more affordable alternative to Manhattan but still offered a convenient commute into the city. Hoboken started the trend, and then as people got priced out of Hoboken they started moving to Jersey City. Now that Jersey City is becoming expensive, the gentrification has moved on to Harrison. If you keep following down the line, Newark is starting to see some gentrification. If Newark ever becomes gentrified, then you may see some of it move into Elizabeth. But that is a LONG way off in my opinion (I would say minimum 10-15 years).
I find it hard to believe Newark would improve before Elizabeth.

It is still one of the most dangerous cities in the country and I wouldn't expect it to improve for at least another 30 years.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:31 PM

821 posts, read 810,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post

It is still one of the most dangerous cities in the country and I wouldn't expect it to improve for at least another 30 years.
Newark has way more going for it than Elizabeth (employers, transportation, location, schools, etc). Newark is already improving and gentrifying.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM

572 posts, read 515,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post

Tell that to downtown Chicago. Newark is 100x ahead of Elizabeth. Yes the south and west wards in Newark are crap but the Ironbound and downtown have so much going for newark.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:23 PM

200 posts, read 127,306 times
How is easy and north park of Newark ? How much is rent there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Tell that to downtown Chicago. Newark is 100x ahead of Elizabeth. Yes the south and west wards in Newark are crap but the Ironbound and downtown have so much going for newark.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 PM

572 posts, read 515,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
How is easy and north park of Newark ? How much is rent there
The east ward is the Ironbound section...this is where penn station and all the good restaurants are located. Rents range from $1200 (1br) to $2300 for 3 bedroom 2 bath.

North ward is further away and the rents are cheaper.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:37 PM

200 posts, read 127,306 times
Belleville - Newark border area safe or not ? How is the rent ?

Old 11-19-2018, 12:03 AM

5,539 posts, read 5,741,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Not all of JC has gentrified. There is still plenty of poor run down JC before you get to Harrison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or