Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 04:16 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They sell cream cheese with salmon in it to spread on bagels. Is that what you are thinking of?
God only knows what he/she was "thinking" of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
They sell cream cheese with salmon in it to spread on bagels. Is that what you are thinking of?
There are two kinds of cream cheese like this.

One is the kind where the entire cream cheese has a pink/salmon color, but there is no actual salmon pieces in it. The cream chees, itself, tastes like salmon. This is usually a mass produced big brand kind of “salmon spread”. It is not nearly the same kind of experience as real salmon.

The second kind is more of a home made concoction that some bagel stores make, where it is actual white cream cheese, with bits of real salmon in it.

The second is better than the first kind, but in my opinion, still not nearly as good as a bagel with a layer of cream cheese with strips of lox on top of that. Even better with a slice of tomato and onions on top.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:35 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There are two kinds of cream cheese like this.

One is the kind where the entire cream cheese has a pink/salmon color, but there is no actual salmon pieces in it. The cream chees, itself, tastes like salmon. This is usually a mass produced big brand kind of “salmon spread”. It is not nearly the same kind of experience as real salmon.

The second kind is more of a home made concoction that some bagel stores make, where it is actual white cream cheese, with bits of real salmon in it.

The second is better than the first kind, but in my opinion, still not nearly as good as a bagel with a layer of cream cheese with strips of lox on top of that. Even better with a slice of tomato and onions on top.
I'm with you all the way. I want one right now, and I'm so, so far away from it.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:09 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
is there a lox place in morris county?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:17 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
is there a lox place in morris county?

That's what I was originally hoping to find out... it ain't looking too good.

Quote:
Probably here: https://www.petaksglattkosher.com/, the first place that came to my mind:

"Located in Fair Lawn, New Jersey, Petak's attracts customers from Bergen and Passaic Counties and beyond, for their ample selection of Glatt Kosher delecasies. From an overstuffed hot pastrami on rye, to matzah ball soup the way Bubby used to make, to the thinnest slices of lox you can find anywhere. "

But Fair Lawn is right next to Paramus, so you likely aren't saving any time.

I lived in Fair Lawn most of my life, Queen, before moving out to the "wilderness", so I know Petak's very well. While they used to be legendary, the original owners sold several years ago and it is now pretty bad. But still very expensive.

Kosher Nosh a couple miles away in Glen Rock does their own nova, I think, but it's not in the same ballpark as Fairway's.

Maybe my Fair Lawn upbringing biased my world view a little, but I figured there would be somewhere out here to get some fresh lox. I mean, Randolph isn't exactly "Jewless". I thought for sure I could find some there. I tried it at Burrini's, and it was OK, but not like the real stuff.

Then again, it's taken me over a year to find some decent bagels and pizza out here. And they really gotta get some decent specialty food stores out here. I'm not expecting the billion that are in Bergen County, but can the Roxbury area get one decent sized specialty food store?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

I lived in Fair Lawn most of my life, Queen, before moving out to the "wilderness", so I know Petak's very well. While they used to be legendary, the original owners sold several years ago and it is now pretty bad. But still very expensive.

Kosher Nosh a couple miles away in Glen Rock does their own nova, I think, but it's not in the same ballpark as Fairway's.

Maybe my Fair Lawn upbringing biased my world view a little, but I figured there would be somewhere out here to get some fresh lox. I mean, Randolph isn't exactly "Jewless". I thought for sure I could find some there. I tried it at Burrini's, and it was OK, but not like the real stuff.

Then again, it's taken me over a year to find some decent bagels and pizza out here. And they really gotta get some decent specialty food stores out here. I'm not expecting the billion that are in Bergen County, but can the Roxbury area get one decent sized specialty food store?

alpha bagels is pretty damn good. never had the lox though. I think its greek owned though. Food is like crack though. I don't like burrini's. I used to but not anymore.

All roxbury has is iripinia, antony and sons for specialty food store. I think dover has that latin supermarket that super expensive on blackwell street.

You should to Roxbury councilman Dan Kline

Elected Officials | Township of Roxbury, NJ - Official Website

he's been trying to get new restaurants that aren't fast food to roxbury.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 AM

453 posts, read 344,844 times
I'm not into lox but there must be places closer. Eppes Essen in Livingston, maybe? Or one of the many other Jewish delis there and in nearby towns like West Orange, Millburn, etc?

Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 AM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
I'm not into lox but there must be places closer. Eppes Essen in Livingston, maybe? Or one of the many other Jewish delis there and in nearby towns like West Orange, Millburn, etc?
I prefer the lox/nova at Livingston Bagel over Eppes Essen.

Eppes Essen is great for sandwiches, like hot pastrami or corned beef on rye bread.

I cant say for sure, but Im almost certain that neither place smokes their salmon on the premises though, which is why I didnt suggest them to the OP.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

Perhaps we passed each other along the way. I married someone from Fair Lawn (one of the minority Irish Catholic boys ) and lived there for three years, from 1983 to 1986. We moved, but since so many of his friends were there and one of them owned a bar, we spent a lot of our social life in Fair Lawn. (I am divorced for many years now and so severed my connections to Fair Lawn along with my marriage.) My sister also lived there for a number of years, and her daughter graduated from FLHS.

I liked Petaks. They used to have great cream of broccoli soup (on the dairy side, of course!) Sorry to hear they've gone downhill.

For a time after I retired I worked in Borough Park, Brooklyn, for a Satmar-owned business. Now that neighborhood had some good Jewish food, at least by my goyishe standards.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:26 AM

538 posts, read 732,802 times
I don't eat fish, but when Sonny's Bagels in South Orange switched hands the guy kept making a big deal about all of the lox and other fish products he was starting to sell. I'm not 100% sure where it's all coming from, but the guy seemed obsessed about it, so if SO is anywhere near you and you're looking for lox it's worth a shot to see what their product is.

As far as bagels, they're may favorite bagels in NNJ (perhaps anywhere?). It's a direct descendant of the former Watson Bagel stores from Newark. If I'm buying undressed bagels they're my go-to. (Like pizza, we're pretty lucky to have a lot of good options for proper bagels in the area, so not everyone agrees with me, of course.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey