Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:36 PM

378 posts, read 586,463 times

Advertisements

Some of those places were better in the rear-view mirror than in reality.

Rickel Home Center comes to mind. So does the “Clam Brothel”. And Crazy Eddie.

Anyone remember Tiny Tots toy store on US22 in Greenbrook? I bought my HO trains there.
Or Caldor in Blue Star shopping center, Watchung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:47 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Some of those places were better in the rear-view mirror than in reality.

Rickel Home Center comes to mind. So does the “Clam Brothel”. And Crazy Eddie.

Anyone remember Tiny Tots toy store on US22 in Greenbrook? I bought my HO trains there.
Or Caldor in Blue Star shopping center, Watchung.
I remember Tiny Tots way back in 1976, and I bought my Lionel Trains there!

Old 11-28-2018, 09:57 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal.M.I. View Post
Wally's Tavern on the Hill, scotch plains , The Red Bull Inn, Somerville, rt. 22, cole's luncheonette, Millburn, The Public House, Chester, used to have the best Sunday brunch, right down the street from Larson's Turkey Farm, Bonds on Morris Ave, in short hills; ice cream joint, home of the "awful, aweful
I'd have to think a bit more, because I haven't lived in Jersey since '89.
Love your list, mike. Good memories!
Where was Cole's Luncheonette in Millburn? I remember the Sweet shop across from Macy's and Hachett's in Short Hills and there was the Little House and Grunings and yeah I loved Bond's! Fox's Pharmacy had the old fashioned lunch counter that was over by St,Rose.You could always get a sandwich (still can) from the Millburn Deli, hell back in the 60's I think one of the first IHOP's in NJ came to town that was at the other end of town by the Suburban Bakery.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Saw this on Facebook and thought I would share. I forgot about a lot of these places.

https://www.facebook.com/george.ramo...3621046663515/
Nice!! Thanks for posting

Old 11-28-2018, 02:00 PM

273 posts, read 102,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Where was Cole's Luncheonette in Millburn? I remember the Sweet shop across from Macy's and Hachett's in Short Hills and there was the Little House and Grunings and yeah I loved Bond's! Fox's Pharmacy had the old fashioned lunch counter that was over by St,Rose.You could always get a sandwich (still can) from the Millburn Deli, hell back in the 60's I think one of the first IHOP's in NJ came to town that was at the other end of town by the Suburban Bakery.
Cole's was - looking at the movie theater just to the right was a jeweler, next to that was Cole's and next that was a clothing store that provided teenie bobbers and hippy teens with their corduroy lee jeans and bell bottoms. Anyway, Cole's, there was a German woman who did the cooking, all home style, not just German. In fact, one of my favorites was her egg drop soup. Cookie, who owned the place grilled burgers and grill cheese and eggs and such out front.
King's Supermarket was up the street from the Chanticler (also no longer there) next to Sax 5th Ave
Oh, yeah, and The Glenwood Sweetshop, was across the street from Sax.I don't remember Macy's in town. Grunnings and the bagel bakery in S. Orange.
What about all those old time hardware stores to the left of Millburn Deli and one across from "the deli" to the right of Woolworths? You could spend hours in those places and find tons of stuff for virtually no money, buy nails by the pound, they'd fix a broken window on the spot. Florsheim Shoes also across from "the deli".
Dave's Market and Mario's on Essex St?
There was a Ted's Esso gas station (remember Tony the Tiger?) across from the Temple ("...and the bush was not consumed" was a quote placed on their lawn) down toward Vauxhall.
Wigler's Bakery and Tabachnik's kosher deli and Great Eastern, all 3 in Vauxhall..
Oye! I could go on and on. Have I? Sorry! See what you started?

Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Cole's was - looking at the movie theater just to the right was a jeweler, next to that was Cole's and next that was a clothing store that provided teenie bobbers and hippy teens with their corduroy lee jeans and bell bottoms. Anyway, Cole's, there was a German woman who did the cooking, all home style, not just German. In fact, one of my favorites was her egg drop soup. Cookie, who owned the place grilled burgers and grill cheese and eggs and such out front.
King's Supermarket was up the street from the Chanticler (also no longer there) next to Sax 5th Ave
Oh, yeah, and The Glenwood Sweetshop, was across the street from Sax.I don't remember Macy's in town. Grunnings and the bagel bakery in S. Orange.
What about all those old time hardware stores to the left of Millburn Deli and one across from "the deli" to the right of Woolworths? You could spend hours in those places and find tons of stuff for virtually no money, buy nails by the pound, they'd fix a broken window on the spot. Florsheim Shoes also across from "the deli".
Dave's Market and Mario's on Essex St?
There was a Ted's Esso gas station (remember Tony the Tiger?) across from the Temple ("...and the bush was not consumed" was a quote placed on their lawn) down toward Vauxhall.
Wigler's Bakery and Tabachnik's kosher deli and Great Eastern, all 3 in Vauxhall..
Oye! I could go on and on. Have I? Sorry! See what you started?
Yup you're right it was Saks across from what was the Little House in the Glenwood section yeah I remember all those place's. The "White Diamond right on the boarder of Millburn and Springfield and then there was the Miniature golf course on 24 right next to Grunnings and just down from there in the early 70's was at first a "JR Hot Shoppes and then it was a Roy Rodgers". I remember Kings , up in Short Hills right across from the train station there was the little village and there was the Post Office ,Hacketts Newspaper /sandwich shop a Liquor store and an Old (really old) A&P the floor was sawdust and it had only one register and next to that and Esso station! The shoe store you were talking about was called the Futters Brothers show store and they still own it! Dave's Market, my Dad would meet the Football coach's in there at about 7am every Saturday morning shopping.We would always cut through the Woolworths to get to the Library !

Old 11-29-2018, 01:42 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Yup you're right it was Saks across from what was the Little House in the Glenwood section yeah I remember all those place's. The "White Diamond right on the boarder of Millburn and Springfield and then there was the Miniature golf course on 24 right next to Grunnings and just down from there in the early 70's was at first a "JR Hot Shoppes and then it was a Roy Rodgers". I remember Kings , up in Short Hills right across from the train station there was the little village and there was the Post Office ,Hacketts Newspaper /sandwich shop a Liquor store and an Old (really old) A&P the floor was sawdust and it had only one register and next to that and Esso station! The shoe store you were talking about was called the Futters Brothers show store and they still own it! Dave's Market, my Dad would meet the Football coach's in there at about 7am every Saturday morning shopping.We would always cut through the Woolworths to get to the Library !
You just triggered Roy Roger's. When I was a young boy, that was my favorite roast beef sandwich. Also Geno's before it became KFC. They were right next to each other in West Caldwell.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Yup you're right it was Saks across from what was the Little House in the Glenwood section yeah I remember all those place's. The "White Diamond It was a White Castle. Dad only took us there to grab a huge bag/snack to take home on late,hot summer nights, when us little ones would sleep out on the front porch-we didn't have A/C back then. We'd go in our pjs! right on the boarder of Millburn and Springfield and then there was the Miniature golf course on 24 right next to Grunnings and just down from there in the early 70's was at first a "JR Hot Shoppes and then it was a Roy Rodgers". I remember Kings , up in Short Hills right across, Right next to Kings was a Chicken Delight. Remember, "Don't cook tonight. Call Chicken Delight"? It was a shady place and mom swore dirty dealings went on inside. Mom would only allow dad to go in. LOL! from the train station there was the little village and there was the Post Office ,Hacketts Newspaper /sandwich shop a Liquor store and an Old (really old) A&P the floor was sawdust and it had only one register and next to that and Esso station! The shoe store you were talking about was called the Futters Brothers shoe store Thanks. I knew I couldn't remember the name. and they still own it! WOW! That's incredible. Dave's Market, my Dad would meet the Football coach's in there at about 7am every Saturday morning shopping.We would always cut through the Woolworths to get to the Library ! We always cut through the pharmacy next to Woolworth's. Woolworth's had this cranky old bitty that would either watch every kid til she intimidated you out of the store, or attached her hip to yours til you left. Creeped me out! My father knew Jerry, the pharmacist, so he was nice to us.
Do you remember M.Y.R.C.- Millburn Youth Recreation Center? It was downtown in the former old Washington Elementary School building, across from townhall.
We'd go on a friday night, hang out, then either go to Serrento's on the corner of Church and Essex St.s for a "slice", or up to IHOP, next to Suburban Bakery for BLTs or Burgers. Winter saturday afternoons or nights one of the fathers would take us to Livingston Roller Rink, through White Oakridge Rd, to S. Livingston Ave. Also, I forgot...there used to be another great bakery, The Village Bakery on Livingston Ave, downtown Livingston, right next to the best gift/stationary/toy store (name?). Saturday afternoons sometimes we'd walk to Peppi's Italian Deli (corner of Ocean and Main, I think), for the best Italian Subs, with the hanging stinky good provolones and hanging cured meats after hanging out at the rec. center in Taylor Park, which wasn't that great a place, as the old guys used to shoot pool or play cards. But we did like ice skating in winter. (bet they deem that unsafe nowadays) Other saturdays we'd walk to Maplewood center for rabbit pellets/food at the pet shop (name?), and then alittle ways up and across, toward King's and movie theater to another little, but packed to the gills, toy store Maplewood Ave and Highland?) When we got older, we'd (my gang) drive to Don's Drive-inn (corner of S.Orange Rd and White Oakridge Rd, for Lime Rickies, cheeseburgers, and their famous pickles. Oh, and there was Lakawanna Tavern, across from the Millburn Train Station. What a dive! It was all the men coming home from NY, who just had to take a break before actually going home. LOL! But I a did go there on a first (and only a first) date, once. What about that little, and I mean LITTLE bowling alley on the main drag in Springfield. I think it only had 3-5 lanes. We'd (the family) would go on rainy sunday afternoons. (Just thinking - I wonder if kids can still sleighride in S Mountain Reservation, or Cameron Field, in S. Orange, or that's too risky nowadays too.) I know Marylawn of the Oranges school, on Scotland Road closed down too. What about The bike shop on the corner of Millburn Ave. and Vauxhall Rd.? Joe's Pizza in Vauxhall is also closed.
Jeez, this world is so generic today. What will be remembered as endearing. Or even remembered?

Old 11-29-2018, 04:43 PM

A few more come to mind:
Bill's Army and Navy Store. The original was on Springfield Ave, in Irvington. (Later they added one on Morris Ave., in Short Hills.)
And across the street was a liquor store, next to the movie theater in Irvington. My dad used to get bottles of Brookdale soda in a wood crate for parties and holidays, for use kids and grown-up mixed drinks. (these were the only occasions we were allow to drink soda). The bottles had to be returned to get your deposit back.
On Morris Avenue, in Union, right across from Sherring-Plough or the Kean Estate, there was an old guy at night who sold homemade cruellers out of a roach-coach type vehicle and piping hot and covered with powdered sugar in a paper bag. That's all he made, that I can remember. They were the best until they got cold. Then they were "sinkers"!
Also, Bonvenni's Italian Restaurant, next door to the VFW on, I think, Mt. Pleasant Ave.

In writing and remembering these things, I can't believe where we kids walked to. Any and everywhere!
There was a dairy in Roseland? we used to visit and get fresh from the cow milk and the best chocolate milk. The barn was right off the side of the road.

But at this point I hadn't thought of any of these places since the late 80's. Now I can't stop thinking of them.
See what you started!

Last edited by Cal.M.I.; 11-29-2018 at 04:55 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Do you remember M.Y.R.C.- Millburn Youth Recreation Center? It was downtown in the former old Washington Elementary School building, across from townhall.
We'd go on a friday night, hang out, then either go to Serrento's on the corner of Church and Essex St.s for a "slice", or up to IHOP, next to Suburban Bakery for BLTs or Burgers. Winter saturday afternoons or nights one of the fathers would take us to Livingston Roller Rink, through White Oakridge Rd, to S. Livingston Ave. Also, I forgot...there used to be another great bakery, The Village Bakery on Livingston Ave, downtown Livingston, right next to the best gift/stationary/toy store (name?). Saturday afternoons sometimes we'd walk to Peppi's Italian Deli (corner of Ocean and Main, I think), for the best Italian Subs, with the hanging stinky good provolones and hanging cured meats after hanging out at the rec. center in Taylor Park, which wasn't that great a place, as the old guys used to shoot pool or play cards. But we did like ice skating in winter. (bet they deem that unsafe nowadays) Other saturdays we'd walk to Maplewood center for rabbit pellets/food at the pet shop (name?), and then alittle ways up and across, toward King's and movie theater to another little, but packed to the gills, toy store Maplewood Ave and Highland?) When we got older, we'd (my gang) drive to Don's Drive-inn (corner of S.Orange Rd and White Oakridge Rd, for Lime Rickies, cheeseburgers, and their famous pickles. Oh, and there was Lakawanna Tavern, across from the Millburn Train Station. What a dive! It was all the men coming home from NY, who just had to take a break before actually going home. LOL! But I a did go there on a first (and only a first) date, once. What about that little, and I mean LITTLE bowling alley on the main drag in Springfield. I think it only had 3-5 lanes. We'd (the family) would go on rainy sunday afternoons. (Just thinking - I wonder if kids can still sleighride in S Mountain Reservation, or Cameron Field, in S. Orange, or that's too risky nowadays too.) I know Marylawn of the Oranges school, on Scotland Road closed down too. What about The bike shop on the corner of Millburn Ave. and Vauxhall Rd.? Joe's Pizza in Vauxhall is also closed.
Jeez, this world is so generic today. What will be remembered as endearing. Or even remembered?
Flashback city!!!! Only went to Don's Drive In a few times ,we would either hit Grunnings up "on the Hill" on So. Orange Ave or go down 24 to the diner in either Springfield or Union for late night eats. Most of the time I would go to the movies in either Summit or Maplewood just nicer theaters and as a kid we just hoped on the train it was great. The Lackawanna Tavern we called it the "LT" it was mostly college kids and locals after 8:00pm.Oh yeah and I had four friends who all worked at the Hess on 24 in Millburn and we would hang out there till closing at 11 pm . DAMN, ....Joe's Pizza....no joke first place I ever had a real pizza,a real NJ Slice! Didn't hang out at Taylor Park as much I lived in Short Hills and it was a hell of a walk but we did ride and walk everywhere . I remember one Christmas I walked from our House close to the SH train station down to Lord and Taylor's and back to do some Christmas shopping and the parents never said a word. Remember when the Short Hills Mall was an "out door Mall"? All the stores were connect by an covered but still open walk way and Escalator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey