U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:08 AM

5,352 posts, read 9,442,964 times

Advertisements

before you leave, go thru the listing one more time on garden state mls. Ask your realtor to look too. The funny thing is I told my realtor what I was looking for before we came down we had a 300 mile drive each way so I understand not wanting to leave. SO let me tell you the funny thing is I called another realtor and told her what I wanted over the phone because I was getting alittle upset too. This other lady gave me a few listings that were over looked and she found the house. Now this was an oversight by both my real realtor and me so have someone take one more look and not you, maybe a friend or someone and see if you missed any home that my be for you before you leave. I did a drive yesterday in Long Valley and Mount Olive very nice and in Morris too. Just some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 AM

130 posts, read 178,957 times
We were all through that whole Mt. Olive area yesterday and couldn't find anything that worked for my needs. Maybe we'll have to look again. I'm not sure where Long Valley is. I'll have to ask my real estate agent. She's way up in Sussex (that's where I started) so I don't think she's all that familiar with that area but I don't know.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
You may have said this on a previous thread...but what is your price range and where will you be working? Perhaps we can suggest some new towns to check out.
I would be commuting a lot between Flanders, Randolph, occasional trips up to northern Sussex, etc. but want to be able to have an easy commute in to the Parsippany and/or Wayne area as well. Lower Sussex does not work for me. I don't want a lalke community that's all hilly with the houses on top of each other because I need to have some sort of decent size level back yard (we saw a lot with absolutely no yard at all - or some with steep drop offs in the lake communities - that was one of the major sticking points). $275,000 with taxes under $5,000 is ballpark right now. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 AM

7,577 posts, read 15,046,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2jersey View Post
We were all through that whole Mt. Olive area yesterday and couldn't find anything that worked for my needs. Maybe we'll have to look again. I'm not sure where Long Valley is. I'll have to ask my real estate agent. She's way up in Sussex (that's where I started) so I don't think she's all that familiar with that area but I don't know.
OP - If you were willing to go as far as Mt Olive, try one or two more exits west. The traffic on 80 doesn't start until the Mt Olive area so the extra travel time in minimal. What is you price range? And what are you looking for exactly? Ranch, townhouse, single family? I am in Warren County just on the border of Morris and Sussex. Very nice area out this way and you can get alot more home for your money. There are a few open houses out this way today.... exit 19 off 80 but don't be fooled by the exit number, they jump quickly out here. 25 to 19 down to 12 but it's only 3 exits.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 AM

hold up I am going to take one quick look for you!!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
why dont you try the upper section f passaic county. its close to sussex and has that same feel. i dont know what your pricerange is, but there are many homes in that area that are up for sale at a decent price
That's the problem - once I started looking in Sussex, I decided the woodsy, lake community feel would not work for my situation. I really need a level, open, grassy back yard. I'm open to upper Passaic County because of the location to 23, 287, etc. but don't quite to know where to start. Looking through the listings, we saw a lot that were flood zones, bank owned (we want to know 'now' and not wait 4-6 weeks, no back yard, etc.). Surely that has to be a house out there!!!! The backyard, convenient location, no flood and not bank owned are the sticking points right now and it seems impossible. Maybe we're not looking in the right spots.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 AM

ok take one more look at some of Jefferson houses, I found a home mls 2494643. Fixed up, and has a yard. there are a few cheaper but need some upgrades however, funny everyone of these little houses was better than the wreck I sold in Hillsdale. You can take the extra money and fix up alittle!! Keep looking one more time before you go. Then if you dont see anything more wil be coming on!! 4-6 weeks is now 5 more houses in each town!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 AM

7,577 posts, read 15,046,998 times
Backtojersey - you have to come out my me! This area is very close to Rt. 94 or Rt. 519 or even Rt. 517 which will take you into Sussex County very quickly and we are only 5 mins from Rt. 80. Parsippany is about 25 mins without traffic. Try Warren County - Hackettstown, Allamuchy, Independence, Frelinghuysen, Blairstown, Hope. All very close to all of these major highways and you can find a nice house with level property with taxes in that range in this area.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 3,629,160 times
I think we could all help her a bit more if we were to know what type of home she doesn't like or what exactly she's looking for. I'm sure there are some homes in the Warren/Sussex/Morris triangle that we can find for her. Perhaps some links to the homes that turn you off or the homes that you'd like?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 AM

342 posts, read 1,144,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2jersey View Post
That's the problem - once I started looking in Sussex, I decided the woodsy, lake community feel would not work for my situation. I really need a level, open, grassy back yard. I'm open to upper Passaic County because of the location to 23, 287, etc. but don't quite to know where to start. Looking through the listings, we saw a lot that were flood zones, bank owned (we want to know 'now' and not wait 4-6 weeks, no back yard, etc.). Surely that has to be a house out there!!!! The backyard, convenient location, no flood and not bank owned are the sticking points right now and it seems impossible. Maybe we're not looking in the right spots.
You seem to have some of the same requirements we did. We wanted at least an acre with a level lot. Finding a house with a level lot was nearly impossible. The number of houses we saw with terraced or unusable backyards was numerous. We finally found one that I fell in love with the layout as well. We are buying in Hunterdon Co. I don't know if you stated where you will be commuting to? Or what your price range is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey