Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM

119 posts, read 552,911 times

Advertisements

Can you expand your search to Union or Somerset counties? Did you look in Boonton in Morris County? Its still pretty affordable, although I do not know your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM

130 posts, read 290,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
humm...showing error so maybe I'll try the photos instead : ) Property media (http://new.gsmls.com/public/getMediaReport.do?mlsNum=2497468&imageCount=8 - broken link)
Yes - that's the type of house I'm looking for!!! No cliffs, no large boulders and rocks in the yard, no wooded backyard, etc. It also looks like what I thought a NJ house would look like.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
This one is near me - Frelinghuysen 249K taxes $3,531 - it may be in our marksboro section or Johnsonburg section...small main street towns within our township. Property media (http://new.gsmls.com/public/getMediaReport.do?mlsNum=2501447&imageCount=10 - broken link)
That's pretty too. I like the price and the taxes. That is certainly more appealing than what I saw in the other areas for a lot more money. How isolated are these areas? I like the idea that there are main street towns.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndecost View Post
Can you expand your search to Union or Somerset counties? Did you look in Boonton in Morris County? Its still pretty affordable, although I do not know your price range.
I did look in Boonton and off-hand I can't remember why I didn't find anything in Boonton but I wasn't ruling Boonton out. I like the easy access to 23/80/287 in that area. Although at first I did prefer northern NJ, I woud expand my search to Somerset and Union. I'd like to stay under $300 with reasonable taxes.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM

681 posts, read 2,878,091 times
Default stay away

Man, I'd say you're better off staying south. I lived in NJ for 25 years (my dad has been there for 63) and anyone with that kind of experience with the state of New Jersey knows that it's on a serious downhill slide. Do some research... it's a well-known fact that New Jersey's state government is the most corrupt in the nation. Don't take my word for it... read the information that you can find in the news and online. I'm not in the Trenton loop... I just know what I experienced and what I read. Houses are outrageously overpriced in New Jersey and you don't even get to live in a truly nice area for what you pay. There are safe areas and family-friendly areas, but you're still in New Jersey, where you have to be able to speak five esoteric languages just to get the gas station attendant to pump your gas (which you get to do yourself in 48 out of the 50 states). You're still in New Jersey, where bribes get you governmental favors... and if you don't bribe, don't expect favors. You're still in New Jersey, where the illustrious governor, who claimed to want to crack down on lots of ills that the state faces, was riding in a vehicle driven by a state trooper, at 91 mph in a 65 zone, WITHOUT A SEAT BELT. The resultant accident showed the folly of such actions. I believe that the only reason why New Jersey is growing is because big-city people are fleeing the big city and relocating close enough to keep their big-ticket jobs. A recently published map of county population growth / shrinkage showed that eastern PA is growing a lot. I can guarantee you, from having lived there too, it's not due to a glut of economic opportunity. It's due to NJ residents getting away from NJ while they still can. If you're set on moving there, my little post on a forum won't stop you. But I will say that as long as you're not stuck there, you're best to stay away.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2jersey View Post
That's just it - since my price range is much lower, some agents may not be interested. I've run up against that as well before I found the agent I have now. And even she said something to the effect that if I started to come up with some towns that were really far away, she might give me a referral.

Maybe if you post your price range and the most important things you want, some of the people here can give you the best suggestions. I tried to go back over all of your posts but there's too many to weed through.

Do you want land? What is the smallest lot?
Bedrooms & baths?
Basement?
Garage - how many cars?
What do you need to be close to?
Commuting?

In one of your very 1st posts I think I suggested finding the smaller agencies names and seeing if they have their own web sites. I am signed up on ReMax, Exit Realty, some local sites here, Weichert, Century 21 (for some reason C21 doesn't send me stuff), yahoo real estate.

The good thing with the local smaller places is one of them actually gives addresses in the emails yet it doesn't show them at any other site due to the seller not wanting it shown, so this has helped me weed them out even further.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2jersey View Post
That's pretty too. I like the price and the taxes. That is certainly more appealing than what I saw in the other areas for a lot more money. How isolated are these areas? I like the idea that there are main street towns.
well our main streets are teeny tiny : )) Johnsonburg has like 12 houses, a small convenience shop, a post office, a bar, and a historic hotel that's currently being converted into a restaurant/bar/hotel again. My area is more along the lines of rural suburbia if that makes sense : ) Little clusters of development homes and some homes with large lots in clusters and tons of farms! We are only 10 mins from Hackettstown. Blairstown, Newton - where all the shops are and restaurants. It's an easy drive out. I would start around hackettstown first... may be more of what you are looking for.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
This one is near me - Frelinghuysen 249K taxes $3,531 - it may be in our marksboro section or Johnsonburg section...small main street towns within our township. Property media (http://new.gsmls.com/public/getMediaReport.do?mlsNum=2501447&imageCount=10 - broken link)
Seems like a nice house, but it has been on the market for a long time. I remember seeing it come up on listings over a year ago when I was shopping, but think it was listed closer to $300k back then. I wonder what the issue is. It looks like it might be on a busy road.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
have to look in the basement!!!! Old house, crack foundation, bad sill, water damage, termintes, old electrical you name it its all underground!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Seems like a nice house, but it has been on the market for a long time. I remember seeing it come up on listings over a year ago when I was shopping, but think it was listed closer to $300k back then. I wonder what the issue is. It looks like it might be on a busy road.
If it's in Johnsonburg...not a busy road at all! Just us locals heading thru to get to the post office. Marksboro is on Rt. 94 and it's not a crazy busy road either... probably along the lines of 519 near hope if that gives you any idea of the traffic...not bad - worth the pool and Jacuzzi : )!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey