Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. The only friend of mine I am sure owns a gun is a widow who keeps a .357 Magnum in her house.

Oh no, wait. I do know a married couple who have a number of guns. They like to go to the firing range.

But why "rich people"? You'd think they'd be the first to keep a gun in the house to protect their stuff from being stolen.
I cant think of anyone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 12:46 AM

154 posts, read 159,899 times
If NJ had LESS strict gun laws... it wouldnt be as popping as it is today.
If NJ had LOWER property taxes.. the schools/towns wouldnt be as good/desireable as they are today.
If NJ enforced Immigration Laws more strictly.... hmm idk anything about this. But I like seeing them work to make the economy stronger.

I think states like Indiana, North Carolina, Mississippi and Alabama suit you better

Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 AM

414 posts, read 358,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I think the people who arent liberals or cant stand the liberals are moving to NV, and dont want to make it liberal.
You can think/ hope that about NV, but the recent elections tell a very different story. NV was the only swing state where Hillary won. Plenty of idiot, gun-hating women like me are moving there and ruining it.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:05 AM

955 posts, read 712,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
It opens up another discussion that would take me way off the thread subject which I would still have an argument why that stat. I degress.

However for any American Loving Patriot, what's happening in NJ is IMO criminal and part slavery to its residents as the politicians will see to it to do more of the underlined because they will always be in power here.
The gun laws in NJ are still less restrictive than nearly anywhere else in the developed world outside of this country. Is living in Switzerland or Belgium akin to being an actual slave as well? This is where hyperbole goes too far.

Are gun laws more restrictive here than in other, less densely-populated states? Yes. Are taxes too high? Yes. Do we live under slave-like conditions? No, and it's not close.

Where we do agree is that NJ acting in a silo will not have a significant reduction in gun crime. I read somewhere that most guns used in crimes in the NYC area originate in Georgia, where the laws are extremely loose. We need a national policy to make any progress, but given the current state of things it feels politically impossible. I'm sure we'll continue to do nothing, and then feign outrage on both sides of the issue when the next horrifying mass shotting occurs.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:34 PM

325 posts, read 581,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
If NJ had LOWER property taxes.. the schools/towns wouldnt be as good/desireable as they are today.
If NJ enforced Immigration Laws more strictly.... hmm idk anything about this. But I like seeing them work to make the economy stronger.

I think states like Indiana, North Carolina, Mississippi and Alabama suit you better
I gotta ask, what the heck does popping mean?

Old 12-05-2018, 06:00 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post

Who says NJ schools/towns are good/desirable? Paterson, Weehawken are desirable and good schools?

Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,445,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Low property taxes
Enforce immigration laws (not a sanctuary state)
Second amendment as a gun law.

Man do I live in the wrong state!

pa is across the river

Old 12-05-2018, 10:53 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,525,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm guessing you never had a fire in your home, but you probably have smoke detectors, right? Most people will never need them but they can save your life when you do.

About 10 years ago a friend of mine had his home broken into. In the middle of the night 4 guys pulled up and kicked right through his front door. This guy is married with 2 kids and these thugs just marched right into his house like it was their own. He and his family were completely defenseless. Soon after that incident he went out and bought a gun. Who knows if the gun would have made any difference in that situation, but at least from now on he can sleep at night.

Most people are reactive rather than proactive and base their opinions only on personal experience. Why would I install a security system in my home if it has never been broken into? Why would I buy a gun if I have never been in a situation where I would need it? That's they type of logic most people follow.
While I feel bad what happened to your friend, I just wonder if there isn't more to the story. 4 guys don't just pick out a house at random in the middle of the night to invade.

Scenario: Front or Rear door get kicked in (that's if they kick door down instead of entering stealthily) when resident is in deep sleep, wakes up, "What the f**k was that". Next move, is gun owned for proection in nightstand next to bed and loaded? Or is it in the gun safe, separate from the ammo?

Say it is in nightstand, is it loaded and put there every night, and unloaded and returned to safe every morning?
Or is it left in nightstand where curious toddler may find it?

Anyway, homeowner then goes out and confronts 4 "thugs" and starts shooting? Has the homeowner received any training in this type of situation?
The odds are 4-1 against the homeowner if the assailants have guns.

Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.
Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
• 43 percent of homes with guns and kids have at least one unlocked firearm.
• In one experiment, one third of 8-to-12-year-old boys who found a handgun pulled the trigger.

Source:https://www.motherjones.com/politics...hs-fact-check/
some other interesting statistics. Even the US govt says more people are killed by guns than auto accidents. Maybe we should have some of the same requirements for gun ownership as driving and auto ownership. Licensing that renews every so many years, comprehensive training and testing. Insurance for gun ownership, maybe even inspections???

Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 AM
46H

1,648 posts, read 1,389,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Who says NJ schools/towns are good/desirable? Paterson, Weehawken are desirable and good schools?

Do my kids now have to go to Paterson or Weehawken schools because we live in NJ? Do we have a choice? Maybe you can explain this.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 AM

414 posts, read 358,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
While I feel bad what happened to your friend, I just wonder if there isn't more to the story. 4 guys don't just pick out a house at random in the middle of the night to invade.

Even the US govt says more people are killed by guns than auto accidents. Maybe we should have some of the same requirements for gun ownership as driving and auto ownership. Licensing that renews every so many years, comprehensive training and testing. Insurance for gun ownership, maybe even inspections???
I was wondering the same thing - perhaps the poster’s friend runs a cash business and the perps knew he kept a lot of cash in the home or perhaps he owed a debt to shady characters.

Agree re: licensing and insurance or maybe enhanced technology requirements. The last time gun laws became stricter was after an assasination attempt on a Republican president. At this rate it will take something of similar magnitude if there’s any chance that gun laws to move in that direction again. The frequent mass shootings haven’t made a dent so far. It saddens me that kids now have to deal with shooter drills at school. The rate of street violence was much higher when I was growing up but the general public wasn’t being gunned down at schools, concerts, movies, houses of worship, etc. on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey