Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:49 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have never been to wayne. that may explain why i am so happy.
It's a nice town. People love to go on and on about the swampiness/flooding, but that's only a small part of a huge township. A good chunk of the town is on high land, hence the fact that there are two high schools, "Wayne Valley" and "Wayne Hills". Do ya really think a place called Wayne Hills floods or is on swampland?

This looks like "concrete" or "swampland" to you?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

Old 12-03-2018, 03:17 PM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's a nice town. People love to go on and on about the swampiness/flooding, but that's only a small part of a huge township. A good chunk of the town is on high land, hence the fact that there are two high schools, "Wayne Valley" and "Wayne Hills". Do ya really think a place called Wayne Hills floods or is on swampland?

This looks like "concrete" or "swampland" to you?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true
Hey, Greenland isn't really green, you never know with real estate names!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
I like how everyone goes on about flooding in Wayne. Like Mightyqueen says, most of Wayne is actually high ground. Some of the areas that flood are what they call "Old Wayne". Most of the flooding isn't caused by "filling in swamps" in Wayne or other places. Flooding is caused by upstream "asphalt runoff". With all the development upstream, there's less area for rainfall to soak in. Rain just runs into the gutters and down to creeks, brooks, etc. then into someone's yard, basement, etc. along the river.

As far as what NJ would develop if certain parcels of woods were not preserved. NJ wouldn't develop any of it, developer's builders, would develop any and every spot they could. Any 2 or 3 acre parcel that goes up for sale seems to be turned into a cul-de-sac with as many homes as they can pack in according to lot size restrictions. Then there is also what realtors refer to as "teardowns". This is the small older home in a desirable area that gets sold and "remodeled", essentially 1 wall is left standing, foundations, expanded, so in it's place is a McMansion.

Like another poster said, most of the traffic in Wayne isn't people who live there, they may work there, or pass thru on their way to work or college, WPU. Just read some of the police reports for drug busts along Rt 23, most of the people arrested live further north. It seems they can't wait to get "home" to get their fix, shoot up right away, then attempt to drive.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:37 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Most people in this forum are too young to remember the proposed Jetport that the Port Authority wanted to build in the '60s, in what is now preserved as The Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. The PA's plan was that, rather than expand Newark Airport, they would build a HUGE new airport in Morris County, totally obliterating the wild and undeveloped land in that area. Additionally, the skies over much of Northern and Central Jersey would have been filled with low-flying, extremely noisy planes.

Only because of a series of very well-organized citizens' protests over the course of many months was that PA plan scuttled, and the US Congress subsequently saved that area--in perpetuity--from development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...ildlife_Refuge

Old 12-03-2018, 05:12 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It will depend upon who is running the municipalities. In 2009. I moved from the Bergen/Passaic County area, where I spent all of my life and watched as they just kept building and building and building and taking every last patch of woods, to Monmouth County, which seems to have had more foresight in that regard.

Eastern Monmouth County is also building, building, building. In the nine years I've been here, I've seen condo complexes and McMansion developments spring up and the traffic has gotten noticeably worse.

However, Monmouth County's park system is nationally recognized. They've done their job in putting aside substantial amounts of land that will stay part of the park system. Despite the overbuilding, there is lots of open space to walk, canoe, hike, fish, whatever, because they looked ahead. I hope that other areas of New Jersey do the same.
Monmouth County has an excellent park system, and they're not alone. Considering that New Jersey is a small, densely populated state, there is quite a bit of open land which will probably, hopefully, never be developed. I don't think that Monmouth Battlefield State Park will ever become a housing development.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:22 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Most people in this forum are too young to remember the proposed Jetport that the Port Authority wanted to build in the '60s, in what is now preserved as The Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. The PA's plan was that, rather than expand Newark Airport, they would build a HUGE new airport in Morris County, totally obliterating the wild and undeveloped land in that area. Additionally, the skies over much of Northern and Central Jersey would have been filled with low-flying, extremely noisy planes.

Only because of a series of very well-organized citizens' protests over the course of many months was that PA plan scuttled, and the US Congress subsequently saved that area--in perpetuity--from development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...ildlife_Refuge
That's when they started looking at the Pine Barrens.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Just more houses.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Strip malls and townhouses. What else?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:00 PM

510 posts, read 499,836 times
A huge chunk of North Jersey floods, not just the towns mentioned. Building willy nilly can, and has, made many areas flood zones. This area used to be a prehistoric lake, so that also sets up drainage problems as well.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:41 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
A huge chunk of North Jersey floods, not just the towns mentioned. Building willy nilly can, and has, made many areas flood zones. This area used to be a prehistoric lake, so that also sets up drainage problems as well.
I think you are talking about the prehistoric Lake Passaic! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Passaic

If you look at the map on that link, we can assume the lake covered today's swamp/wetland areas of NJ that I have seen in real life. It covers the Great Swamp Wildlife Refuge, Troy Meadow Wetlands, Great Piece Meadows, the undocumented wetland in Turkey Mountain (part of Pyramid Mountain in Boonton/Montville), and much more. I assume all of that is from the melted Wisconsin Glacier (I assume that formed the prehistoric Lake Passaic) that turned into swamp lands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey