Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:15 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
South Jersey is the Garden State, north Jersey was never really part of the garden state.
This is false. In west Essex county, we had a lot of farms when I was growing up in the 70s. Route 280 was brand new, which caused the area to change a lot, but Livingston was considered to be “out in the boonies” back then.

Most of the farms around there are gone now, but there are still plenty of farms to the west, in Morris, Sussex, Somerset, etc. These are all in the Northern part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
How far back do you want to go?

glaciers came down as far as the watching mountains.

the Hudson river emptied into Raritan bay near Boundbrook.

the sea level rose and covered most of the eastern and southern portion of Nj up to the Raritan river. Pine forests covered the state, moose-elk roamed the land along with mastodons and stegomus arcuatus an armored reptile.

Hadley airport in plainfield was operational. Rabbit hunting was common at Hadley airport and talmadge rd. the claybanks of Keasbey. Menlo park mall was a claybank and dairy farm. Fords, between ford ave and mary ave was an airplane factory. Raritan center was the Raritan arsenal and where large building now stand were acres of tanks, army ducks, trucks and ammunition igloos.

New Brunswick across the bridge over the Raritan was run down factory buildings.

there was no 287!

there was no parkway.

the western route out of central nj was rt 22 or one of the county rds.

RU college of ag and environmental science campus was mostly farmland west of rt 1

Failure of the cities to be revitalized, in conjunction with construction of interstates were the primary reason for population dispersion into the hinterlands. the Verrazano narrows bridge was another outlet through which poured the contents of the 5 boroughs.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:43 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
How far back do you want to go?

glaciers came down as far as the watching mountains.

the Hudson river emptied into Raritan bay near Boundbrook.

the sea level rose and covered most of the eastern and southern portion of Nj up to the Raritan river. Pine forests covered the state, moose-elk roamed the land along with mastodons and stegomus arcuatus an armored reptile.

Hadley airport in plainfield was operational. Rabbit hunting was common at Hadley airport and talmadge rd. the claybanks of Keasbey. Menlo park mall was a claybank and dairy farm. Fords, between ford ave and mary ave was an airplane factory. Raritan center was the Raritan arsenal and where large building now stand were acres of tanks, army ducks, trucks and ammunition igloos.

New Brunswick across the bridge over the Raritan was run down factory buildings.

there was no 287!

there was no parkway.

the western route out of central nj was rt 22 or one of the county rds.

RU college of ag and environmental science campus was mostly farmland west of rt 1

Failure of the cities to be revitalized, in conjunction with construction of interstates were the primary reason for population dispersion into the hinterlands. the Verrazano narrows bridge was another outlet through which poured the contents of the 5 boroughs.
Haha, good one.

Re the glaciers, one of the first things I noticed when I moved to Monmouth County after living my life in Bergen (and some time in Passaic County/West Paterson, on Garret Mountain, the First Watchung) was that there aren't any rocks down here. Not NO rocks, but not good-sized rocks in the ground the way there are up in North Jersey. If you go for a walk in the woods up there, you see rock everywhere in the soil. I went for a hike in one of the Monmouth County parks and it kept bugging me that something was different, even though the tree varieties and whatnot are pretty much the same. Finally it dawned on me that there weren't any rocks in the trail.

In North Jersey, and in at least the lower part of New York State, there are stone walls everywhere from the days when the old Dutch farmers lifted the rocks out of the soil to plant their crops. I noticed one running through the woods from the NYS Thruway the last time I was driving down from Albany.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:59 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, good one.

Re the glaciers, one of the first things I noticed when I moved to Monmouth County after living my life in Bergen (and some time in Passaic County/West Paterson, on Garret Mountain, the First Watchung) was that there aren't any rocks down here. Not NO rocks, but not good-sized rocks in the ground the way there are up in North Jersey. If you go for a walk in the woods up there, you see rock everywhere in the soil. I went for a hike in one of the Monmouth County parks and it kept bugging me that something was different, even though the tree varieties and whatnot are pretty much the same. Finally it dawned on me that there weren't any rocks in the trail.

In North Jersey, and in at least the lower part of New York State, there are stone walls everywhere from the days when the old Dutch farmers lifted the rocks out of the soil to plant their crops. I noticed one running through the woods from the NYS Thruway the last time I was driving down from Albany.
I love a good stone wall! North New Jersey at some points give you that little bit of New England at times.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I love a good stone wall! North New Jersey at some points give you that little bit of New England at times.
My mother has one running along the property line behind her house. It extends into Wyckoff and used to be in the woods there, but when the developer chopped down the woods and filled in the swamp, they dismantled the rest of the wall.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
South Jersey is the Garden State, north Jersey was never really part of the garden state.

We have a State Fair + Farm & Horse Show. It's held in Sussex County every year. In NORTH JERSEY.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:05 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post

We have a State Fair + Farm & Horse Show. It's held in Sussex County every year. In NORTH JERSEY.
Yup!
It would be impossible to get more "north" in NJ than Sussex County.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not NO rocks, but not good-sized rocks in the ground the way there are up in North Jersey. If you go for a walk in the woods up there, you see rock everywhere in the soil. I went for a hike in one of the Monmouth County parks and it kept bugging me that something was different, even though the tree varieties and whatnot are pretty much the same. Finally it dawned on me that there weren't any rocks in the trail.
Yep, a lot of sandy dirt over clay down there. Here, you get heavier dirt with plenty-o-rocks. And Short Hills is built on top of the terminal moraine of a glacier. I guess if you dig down below the soil you don't hit true bedrock but instead basically gravel, but I don't know for sure.

Ah, the New Jersey Geological Survey confirms: till, sand, silt, and gravel.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yep, a lot of sandy dirt over clay down there. Here, you get heavier dirt with plenty-o-rocks. And Short Hills is built on top of the terminal moraine of a glacier. I guess if you dig down below the soil you don't hit true bedrock but instead basically gravel, but I don't know for sure.

Ah, the New Jersey Geological Survey confirms: till, sand, silt, and gravel.
Interesting site! Tiny letters, lol, but it's cool that there's something that shows what's beneath the surface.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I always view NJ as farms and factories. Today it is mostly mcmansion and condos. There aren't that many big Corp buildings compared to places like Texas where there are miles of corp buildings and flats. Go to Plano, TX. It's like the corp HQ of so many tech and retail operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey