U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 12:17 PM

1,493 posts, read 718,822 times

Advertisements

Corporate office buildings in the suburbs are great places to get jobs. You have a nice parking lot and you are located on a quiet street. However, corporate buildings eat up so much land, which is not bad. Also, some office buildings have excessively large parking lots, which make America look very wasteful. Some of these parking lots still have too much vacant space in highly populated areas like the Edison/Piscataway area. If you go on Google Earth, if you zoom out, you can still see the office buildings, she they are so large and their roofs are so white. It is amazing how much land it takes up.

Did any of you grow up in NJ before most of these suburban office buildings were developed? For example, Vreeland Road in Florham Park has a ton of office buildings, but behind them is a patch of woods with a nice view of the Passaic River (I love looking at the river when it gets flooded in the winter). If these buildings were not built and just left as a large patch of woods, it would be cool if that was a hiking area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 02:12 PM

16,671 posts, read 6,626,410 times
Not being funny but yes very country like, rolling hills, green .Nice .

Old 12-10-2018, 05:05 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,673,884 times
A lot of it was farmland so it's not like trees were cutdown for the office buildings in those cases

You know, the Garden State

Old 12-10-2018, 05:42 PM

65,129 posts, read 61,292,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
A lot of it was farmland so it's not like trees were cutdown for the office buildings in those cases

^ This. A lot of NJ was farmland.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 PM

1,493 posts, read 718,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post

It's true. That's why NJ is called a Garden State. It really was a place to have a garden, but it got too suburbanized and urbanized to a point where farms gave up land and more and more people wanted to live near NYC.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:40 AM

2,153 posts, read 1,257,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
It's true. That's why NJ is called a Garden State. It really was a place to have a garden, but it got too suburbanized and urbanized to a point where farms gave up land and more and more people wanted to live near NYC.
South Jersey is the Garden State, north Jersey was never really part of the garden state.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:47 AM

7,441 posts, read 4,981,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
South Jersey is the Garden State, north Jersey was never really part of the garden state.

Being that I've lived in both areas I agree about South Jersey especially the southwest and south central sections as there's plenty of open space, farms and the like.

That slogan should change IMO, hmmmmm...., makes for a good thread topic.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 AM

65,129 posts, read 61,292,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Why on earth would you say that? It's absolutely not true and an odd thing to hear a person from New Jersey say.

Bergen County was known for its rich farmland. That's why so many Dutch settled there, land being at a premium in Holland. The county was MOSTLY farms that grew the vegetables that were shipped into New York City. Bergen County was particularly known for its strawberry production.

Even within my own memory, Wyckoff still had farms when I was growing up (there is still one left, Abma's. ) We bought out chicken feed at the Feed & Grain on Main Street. Mahwah most certainly did. My aunt and uncle lived on a street in Mahwah with farmed fields behind them and more across the street. I wrote letters to my cousin when we were kids (even though we only lived about five miles apart, lol.) Her address was her road and "RFD #1" (Rural Free Delivery, for those too young to remember.)

Fair Lawn was known for its celery farms. My mother was mad at my father for decades because she wanted him to buy land farther out in the country, meaning Franklin Lakes, when land went for $1500 an acre. This was only in the late 50s. My father said no because Franklin Lakes was nothing but a bunch of little dirt farms and he didn't want to live so far out in the country. Midland Park, where they grew up, still had some small farms, but it also had a few factories and was more of a town. Still, we had those pet chickens in the backyard in the 1960s, and the people behind us had horses, and there was a sheep farm near my grandmother's house.

I would argue that since North Jersey was the main supplier of produce for the city and places like Newark, the northern part of the state is what gave New Jersey its nickname.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:04 AM

2,153 posts, read 1,257,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Being that I've lived in both areas I agree about South Jersey especially the southwest and south central sections as there's plenty of open space, farms and the like.

That slogan should change IMO, hmmmmm...., makes for a good thread topic.
To the Taylor ham/pork roll state? Lol. Agriculture is the 3rd largest industry in NJ (may be #2 soon, after pharma follows the trend of mass exodus out of the state due to tax and spend democrats). People from North Jersey live in a bubble and have no idea that it exists, to them they think South Jersey is the shore when it's not.

NJ is the 2nd largest world supplier to cranberries, and surprisingly makes the world's best tasting corn, tomatoes etc is the world. Proudly wear the badge of the Garden State.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 AM

16,004 posts, read 19,304,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Even within my own memory, Wyckoff still had farms when I was growing up
Heck, Secaucus still had at least one hog farm as late as the mid-70s, and--believe it or not--there was a small farm on Bayonne's Constable Hook as late as the early '60s! When I was a kid, I used to ride my bike to Constable Hook in order to explore the automobile graveyard there, and I was really surprised to see that small farm, just to the East of the auto graveyard. IIRC, it raised livestock, rather than crops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or