Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 01:33 PM

13 posts, read 16,511 times

Advertisements

I am not sure what community to move to. I work downtown and have a growing family. I would like to move to a town which has short commute time to downtown NYC and have the best public school systems.

Some of the areas I am considering are Millburn, RidgeWood, GlenRock, Summit. But I am open to new areas if there are better choices. Very good public schools are my first criteria followed by 4-5 bedroom with short commute. Currently my commute is amazing but the school district here is not that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 02:43 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderweb2016 View Post
I am not sure what community to move to. I work downtown and have a growing family. I would like to move to a town which has short commute time to downtown NYC and have the best public school systems.

Some of the areas I am considering are Millburn, RidgeWood, GlenRock, Summit. But I am open to new areas if there are better choices. Very good public schools are my first criteria followed by 4-5 bedroom with short commute. Currently my commute is amazing but the school district here is not that great.
Chatham,New providence and Berkeley Heights are all good. Montclair ,Westfield are good all so.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:52 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Quote:
I would like to move to a town which has short commute time to downtown NYC and have the best public school systems.

You and millions of others

Quote:
Some of the areas I am considering are Millburn, RidgeWood, GlenRock, Summit.

That's a broad swath, Marc Paolella on here would be your best bet.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:37 AM

107 posts, read 113,080 times
Hunterdon County has a great public school district, blue ribbon, etc. Annandale has a train station, and Flemington has a bus that takes you to NYC. The towns are quiet, historic, and safe. Very friendly people, too!

Old 12-29-2018, 08:01 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownJerseyBoy View Post
Hunterdon County has a great public school district, blue ribbon, etc. Annandale has a train station, and Flemington has a bus that takes you to NYC. The towns are quiet, historic, and safe. Very friendly people, too!

Responses like this are why people really need to define what they consider to be a "short commute."

Old 12-29-2018, 08:38 AM

482 posts, read 729,002 times
I think the first couple questions should be -

Does your SO need a midtown commute? What is their commute like?
Are you open to driving to Harrison PATH and taking one train (to WTC), or will you be connecting in Hoboken via train to the path?
If a midtown direct is not required, are you comfortable buying in a town that doesn’t have a direct train? You’ll get more for your money, but will be doing yourself a disservice if you ever change jobs to midtown.

I ask these things because if you drive to Harrison to take the path to WTC (my Wife does this) you have a ton of flexibility in towns that are a short drive to Harrison. If you decide to take a train to Hoboken to get the ferry to downtown east or Path to WTC then you need to find a town with a short train to Hoboken, and shouldn’t overpay for towns with good direct midtown trains such as Montclair or Glen Ridge.

...for the record, commuting to Penn to subway downtown is usually a worse/longer commute than the options listed above.

You’ll pay more for towns like Summit, Chatham, Glen Ridge and Montclair which have quick midtown direct trains (but also trains to Hoboken). Conversely you’ll get more for you’re money in non direct midtown train towns such as Ridgewood or Glen Rock. They still have direct trains to Hoboken but require a transfer if going to midtown, and therefore are typically less pricey

Old 12-29-2018, 08:47 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Responses like this are why people really need to define what they consider to be a "short commute."
Exactly. We've gotten a lot of unrealistic people in the past who think they can live in a great town with good schools and have a 45-minute commute.

I doubt anyone considers a commute from anywhere in Hunterdon County to be "short".

A commute to downtown from Ridgewood, on the other hand, is about an hour and 15 door to desk. That's a reasonable expectation for what the OP is looking for. I did that commute for years and then in the last years my commute was from the Red Bank area was an hour and 45 to two hours. Therefore, the Ridgewood commute is short.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:17 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
I also enjoy these posts with no budget or anything past cursory housing expectations....
Alos- "Need best schools" aka millburn, West windsor or the kid will end up a crack addict.....total fundamental misunderstanding of NJ education...not to litigate "good school" meaning all over again- but we can all agree while Millburn is great, the # 20 school district is still insanely good...#1 or bust isn't reallyy necessary

Old 12-29-2018, 04:18 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Short commute is the one that often needs more explanation. It depends where you work in the city and what you consider short. A bus could be reasonable and many folks are always recommending the same 5 train towns. That kind of thing.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 823 times
Hi, you can talk with Ana DeFigueiredo. She is great!
[email]ananewhome@gmail.com[/email]
9737894814 [url]https://www.zillow.com/profile/Ana-DeFigueiredo/#reviews[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey