U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:10 AM

5,835 posts, read 14,521,801 times
Question Best Xmas Decorated Neighborhoods

What streets/neighborhoods are the best to go driving through, to see great Christmas decorations? My husband and I are going to drive around tonight to see what's in our area. Any recommendations, for myself or others? Be sure to name the town as well as the street or neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 10:34 PM

244 posts, read 727,079 times
The PNC Arts Center does it's Spectacle of Lights. They charge by car, and you can drive through all the holiday light displays. It's Exit 116 off the parkway. It's hard to miss.

Have fun!

Old 12-17-2006, 06:35 AM

4,080 posts, read 9,376,519 times
I go to the PNC every year and there's a house not far from there in Holmdel that really goes crazy with the lights but I can't rememebr the street name? It's very well known around here, maybe someone else knows the name?

On the news the other day they did a story about an area in Brooklyn, I think Bayridge that everyone does a great job with lights and it's worth taking a ride to see.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 AM

3,019 posts, read 7,892,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I go to the PNC every year and there's a house not far from there in Holmdel that really goes crazy with the lights but I can't rememebr the street name? It's very well known around here, maybe someone else knows the name?

On the news the other day they did a story about an area in Brooklyn, I think Bayridge that everyone does a great job with lights and it's worth taking a ride to see.
The home in Holmdel is on Richards Way. We always took the kids there when they were younger. I've spoken to the homeowners a number of times and they absolutely love what they do. I've included a link to a website that has pictures of the home, but it dosen't do it any justice. It's a sight you need to experience in real life. PNC is also great. There is also one of the horse farms (name escapes me) on 537 in Colts Neck that does a great job. Enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/estevesm/page5/

Old 12-17-2006, 09:52 AM

244 posts, read 727,079 times
I know that house in Holmdel! We have visited it a lot over the years, too. I was going to suggest it, but couldn't remember the exact location.

We must all be in the same area.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:34 AM

4,080 posts, read 9,376,519 times
Thanks exhdo, that's it! I wouldn't want their electric bill!

Summer, yeah it's a small world, I live ten minutes from there.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:56 AM

3,019 posts, read 7,892,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thanks exhdo, that's it! I wouldn't want their electric bill!

Summer, yeah it's a small world, I live ten minutes from there.
The last time we were there the homeowner told us that he has a diesel generator brought in to provide the power. I know he has a crew that comes in to help put all the stuff up. From what I've been told he is a very successfull businessman here in N.J. I know many of his neighbors cringe during this time of year. The Holmdel P.D. often times needs to have a patrol car in the area to help with traffic and I believe they need to post temporary signs about not blocking peoples driveways. There is another home in Hazlet that is really done up as well, I can't remember the street. Also one on Greenfield Road in Manalapan just off Rt.9. I don't know if the homeowner still does it but he used to put out hand made animated displays on his property. The kids loved it! Enjoy the holidays

Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 AM

604 posts, read 1,954,141 times
For anybody who lives near Middlesex boro there is a fantastic home Christmas display that actually uses the interior of the front rooms to showcase a moving Christmas display. People park their cars and walk the front lawn( it is set up for this purpose) to view the show. I would call it a sort of "Macy's" type window display in a home.
I would not travel far to see it as it is only one house but if you live within a short drive you will not be disappointed.

Beechwood Ave. in Middlesex Boro NJ

Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 PM

1,508 posts, read 4,225,468 times
Default Great Adventure Lights

Go figure, now that our kids are a little older & we live just minutes from Great Adventure, they no longer have that cool Holiday Light Display !!

Darn darn darn !

Any idea why this attraction is not happening this year?
We went one year & thought it was wonderful !

I guess we have to trudge to the Parkway & PNC this year.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:28 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,238,272 times
We just went to the PNC Art Center to see the lights. In my opionion it is NOT worth it. It was $15 per car. All the other years there was Santa at the end. This year there wasn't, someone else took over doing the display. They are selling 3-D glasses for $3 each or 2 for $5 when you look at the lights you see snowmen around them.

Save the $15 and you can ride around and see better displays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey