U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2018, 06:04 PM
 
3 posts, read 1,204 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving to NJ in a few months, and am looking into this new complex called Rivet Apartments. (Home - Rivet).

It's not super close to the PATH, but there is a light rail. I will mainly be driving either way. Any thoughts on the area currently around this apartment? It doesn't seem like there are too many restaurants nearby, but it seems to be a great deal and a developing area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2018, 06:52 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
433 posts, read 862,440 times
Reputation: 263
Have you scouted that area at night? Its very scary - despite the surrounding stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,331 posts, read 15,707,727 times
Reputation: 5288
You're right, there's not a ton nearby. There's a decent Vietnamese place a few blocks up West Side Ave from there, and New Park Tavern (a little farther up still) has good pub-style burgers. I take the 80 or the 30 bus down there from Journal Square when I need to get to Home Depot, and get off the bus right by this building. The area was kind of sketchy years ago, but seems fine to me now. A few newer buildings catering to NJCU students have gone up in recent years. The light rail is convenient on weekdays, but using it to get to the PATH to get to the city on weekends can be painful. You might be better off taking one of the buses that run up/down West Side Ave to Journal Square (30, 32, 80) to catch PATH there.

As long as you're ok with being in kind of a "dead" area, it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 07:02 PM
 
208 posts, read 135,143 times
Reputation: 44
Jersey city except downtown area is no good. Other Hudson county towns are better for living and safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 07:44 PM
 
3 posts, read 1,204 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
You're right, there's not a ton nearby. There's a decent Vietnamese place a few blocks up West Side Ave from there, and New Park Tavern (a little farther up still) has good pub-style burgers. I take the 80 or the 30 bus down there from Journal Square when I need to get to Home Depot, and get off the bus right by this building. The area was kind of sketchy years ago, but seems fine to me now. A few newer buildings catering to NJCU students have gone up in recent years. The light rail is convenient on weekdays, but using it to get to the PATH to get to the city on weekends can be painful. You might be better off taking one of the buses that run up/down West Side Ave to Journal Square (30, 32, 80) to catch PATH there.

As long as you're ok with being in kind of a "dead" area, it's fine.
Thanks for the insights, my one concern was walking the dog at night. I usually have to do this before bed, and was slightly concerned if it would be sketchy. I guess if I do, i shouldn't stray too far from the apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 08:08 PM
 
2,293 posts, read 1,076,261 times
Reputation: 4124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Jersey city except downtown area is no good. Other Hudson county towns are better for living and safety.
I thought The Heights was considered ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2018, 08:10 PM
 
Location: New Jersey/Florida
5,383 posts, read 10,253,688 times
Reputation: 3506
Quiet area. Walking your dog should be fine. Good restaurant on Terhune Avenue called Laicos. Don't venture after dark east of Kennedy Blvd. I drove a police car around there for clise to 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 10:00 AM
 
5,910 posts, read 13,498,226 times
Reputation: 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Jersey city except downtown area is no good. Other Hudson county towns are better for living and safety.
JSQ is fine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,331 posts, read 15,707,727 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Quiet area. Walking your dog should be fine. Good restaurant on Terhune Avenue called Laicos. Don't venture after dark east of Kennedy Blvd. I drove a police car around there for clise to 30 years.
Agree with this. There seems to be a tiered level of understanding JC neighborhoods and safety.

Level 1 (n00b): “Everything outside of downtown is dangerous.”
Level 2 (intermediate): “Some places outside downtown are fine but anything south of Communipaw is dangerous.”
Level 3 (advanced): “Once you’re south of Communipaw, stay west of the Blvd... and Garfield Av is ok too.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 01:02 PM
 
Location: NJ
504 posts, read 699,314 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Agree with this. There seems to be a tiered level of understanding JC neighborhoods and safety.

Level 1 (n00b): “Everything outside of downtown is dangerous.”
Level 2 (intermediate): “Some places outside downtown are fine but anything south of Communipaw is dangerous.”
Level 3 (advanced): “Once you’re south of Communipaw, stay west of the Blvd... and Garfield Av is ok too.”
Haha! I'm probably level 2.5 then. When south of Communipaw, I would try to stay really close to the main roads like JFK, West Side Ave. There are still gunshots along the side streets at night. The area between Grand St/Communipaw/78 has really improved over the last few years, probably due to the yuppies moving into the Foundry. That area is still Level 3 though I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top