U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 AM

13,621 posts, read 14,694,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Agree. And when I moved back here to retire, I used Kiplinger as a major (and reliable) source of info. That said, it's a lot easier, tax wise, if you don't own property (like me), but it's still not the tax hell for retirees people make it out to be. Getting half off for transit is nice, too.
Don't you live in subsidized housing and want to attend school full time?

It stands to reason that your view on NJ's taxation and redistribution schemes may differ from say, a brick layer married to a secretary with two kids, in a non-Abbott school district for example.

I'm not saying you're view is wrong, right or whatever but there are many diverse views with regards to NJ's taxes and the way the money's shuffled around.

Last edited by doc1; 01-18-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM

14,471 posts, read 4,509,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The Murphy Administration has already reduced the income tax "bite" on pension benefits, and that tax is scheduled to be reduced to ZERO over the next couple of years.

I'm quite sure that some members of this forum will... somehow... try to spin that reality into a negative, but the fact remains that NJ is not currently a "tax hell" for retirees, and it will move even further from that category over the next couple of years.

This , yes it can get better no one is denying that but there are worse place's tax wise.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:23 AM

18,341 posts, read 15,430,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Don't you live in subsidized housing and want to attend school full time?

It stands to reason that your view on NJ's taxation and redistribution schemes may differ from say, a brick layer married to a secretary with two kids, in a non-Abbott school district for example.

I'm not saying you're view is wrong, right or whatever but there are many diverse views with regards to NJ's taxes and the way the money's shuffled around.
She's going by the Kiplinger article, not her own opinion or experience.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She's going by the Kiplinger article, not her own opinion or experience.
I see her post much differently than you do. In fact, I see it as both. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555
......Agree. And when I moved back here to retire, I used Kiplinger as a major (and reliable) source of info. That said, it's a lot easier, tax wise, if you don't own property (like me), (experience)

but it's still not the tax hell for retirees people make it out to be. (opinion)

Getting half off for transit is nice, too. (experience)

Old 01-18-2019, 12:58 PM

51 posts, read 8,832 times
The teacher's union/pensions.... as well as the tyranny of the majority (dems).... is what screwed NJ over.

Now murphy wants to make NJ into CA (which has similar problems like NJ but 100x worse) with his identity politics/progressive garbageChristie did what he could... compromising with the tyrants as much as possible.

If both parties are screwing NJ over... what is the direction we go in?

What specific steps need to be taken?

I had high hopes for Rep Gottheimer (D-NJ5) ... because he seemed to be practical & Centrist... and he turned out to be a standard liberal nutjob who opposes a wall (.001% of the fed budget/works decently/not immoral).

Gottheimer represents a dist which has been historically Republican for decades, and took a chance on him because he is young & fresh. (they also voted for Trump the same night).

Old 01-18-2019, 01:10 PM

5,963 posts, read 13,531,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
The teacher's union/pensions.... as well as the tyranny of the majority (dems).... is what screwed NJ over.

Now murphy wants to make NJ into CA (which has similar problems like NJ but 100x worse) with his identity politics/progressive garbageChristie did what he could... compromising with the tyrants as much as possible.

I had high hopes for Rep Gottheimer (D-NJ5) ... because he seemed to be practical & Centrist... and he turned out to be a standard liberal nutjob who opposes a wall (.001% of the fed budget/works decently/not immoral).

Gottheimer represents a dist which has been historically Republican for decades, and took a chance on him because he is young & fresh. (they also voted for Trump the same night).
You sound like someone who constantly tells people "If you don't like it, then leave." So you should take your own advice.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
.........If both parties are screwing NJ over... what is the direction we go in?

What specific steps need to be taken?.....
Both parties have proved to be self-serving wh*ores on a massive scale for votes and power when it comes to NJ's fiscal mismanagement mess.

How long did they allow for multiple govt jobs with pay and pensions and allow contractors, of all things, to get plugged in to the system?

Even then, when they, uh, "reformed" the system, they grandfathered those that were already on multiple teats.

I know we're smarter, better educated and more sophisticated than everyone else but politically we're like Huey Long's Louisiana, lol.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:31 PM

14,641 posts, read 7,834,828 times
New Jersey decided to be a far left, one party state, just like California. They deserve whatever they get. It is exactly what a large amount of people want it to be. Aren't very high taxes, and a very high cost of living worth it to be Progressive?

Old 01-18-2019, 02:48 PM

5,963 posts, read 13,531,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
New Jersey decided to be a far left, one party state, just like California. They deserve whatever they get. It is exactly what a large amount of people want it to be. Aren't very high taxes, and a very high cost of living worth it to be Progressive?
Oh no I can't believe another state would want to be as progressive as the state with the fifth largest economy in the world. Why can't we just all be more like small-government Kansas and be economically and morally bankrupt?

Old 01-18-2019, 03:00 PM

18,341 posts, read 15,430,764 times
Quote:

Most of the country opposes the wall. Wall is stupid there is much higher tech devices that will be much affective than a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey